Any one know what the tuition fees for UC will be next yr?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calflowergirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Calfornians!

I just got into UCI and USC, and I am having a hard time deciding which is better. It seems that at UCI I will graduate with a less debt but when I called the Office of financial aid there, they told me that they didn't know how much the tuition will be for 2004-2005 until Aug!!!

Do you know approx. how much UC's tuition will be for next year? It's around $11,000/yr right now.

I appreciate your help

:)

Members don't see this ad.

its only 11,000?? i thought it was 17ish.

yeah i need to know this too, although right now its pretty much UC for sure.

side note, when do financial aid statements reach people's hands?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by calflowergirl
Hi Calfornians!

I just got into UCI and USC, and I am having a hard time deciding which is better. It seems that at UCI I will graduate with a less debt but when I called the Office of financial aid there, they told me that they didn't know how much the tuition will be for 2004-2005 until Aug!!!

Do you know approx. how much UC's tuition will be for next year? It's around $11,000/yr right now.

I appreciate your help

:)

It sure as hell won't be $37k/year like USC currently is. I'll bet the worst it could get would be around $20k. It's funny cause I was thinking about the same situation today--whether I'd prefer to go to UCI or USC. I'd much rather go to USC but if I'm going to be 80k in debt upon graduation instead of 200k, that's a huge difference.

yeah i think even if i get into USC, if its 37K versus 20K at UCSD I will probably decide to sweat through the 8 hours of minutia lecture.

Originally posted by DoctorKevin
yeah i think even if i get into USC, if its 37K versus 20K at UCSD I will probably decide to sweat through the 8 hours of minutia lecture.

It's not as if you're expected to attend all 8 hours. You can just use lecture notes like a lot of students do. I can see the "best fit" argument up to an extent but when we're talking over $100k, I think the money starts to weigh a lot in my decision. I'd like to be out of debt before I retire.

Originally posted by Alexander99
It's not as if you're expected to attend all 8 hours. You can just use lecture notes like a lot of students do. I can see the "best fit" argument up to an extent but when we're talking over $100k, I think the money starts to weigh a lot in my decision. I'd like to be out of debt before I retire.

right.

how did you get so reasonable? :)

Noooooooooooooooooo!

Oh and Alexander99, you are including outside expenses (other than tuition) in the USC calculation (37x4 =148), but not with the UCI calculation. Yeah, I know that it's still a 68,000 difference, but that's a lot less than a 120K difference. And this is assuming that the UCs will be 20k; it kinda looks like they may be a little more than this. Assuming they are 25K, they would only be 48K less than USC overall.

Just some food for thought

jalby said ucla would be 28k, but does anyone know about ucsd?

Yeah, it's a hard decision. USC has a much better campus environment and the facilities are great. Well, it's also ranked better than UCI.

But money does become an important decision factor especially since all UC's (UCI less than UCSF, UCLA, and UCSD) are great schools and well-known. I think that no matter which school people attend in Cal, they will end up in good residencies spots.

Do you guys agree?

yeah, we'll all get good residency spots, but we are being a bit more picky here about finer points.

right.

how did you get so reasonable? :)

A better question might be, how unreasonable is it to be over $200k in debt as a resident only making $1.00 per hour. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by snowbear
Noooooooooooooooooo!

Oh and Alexander99, you are including outside expenses (other than tuition) in the USC calculation (37x4 =148), but not with the UCI calculation. Yeah, I know that it's still a 68,000 difference, but that's a lot less than a 120K difference. And this is assuming that the UCs will be 20k; it kinda looks like they may be a little more than this. Assuming they are 25K, they would only be 48K less than USC overall.

Just some food for thought

Actually, USC's tutition IS $37k/yr. If you calculate outside expenses, it's ~ $50k/yr. Currently, evven with outside expenses, UCSD would be around $22k/yr. So that's $200k USC vs $88k USC. The difference is really over $120k between the two schools. Finally, UCSD gives much more grants than USC does.

What do you all think of the pros/cons of UCI vs. USC?

USC has nicer classrooms, it's not completely isolated, there's LA County Hosp accross, more places to go eat at....

UCI is near the beach....can't think of that many other great things...:confused:

i already have 20K ish debt. 7K on a credit card.

What are your plans to make those credit card payments in med school? I guess you could just live in a really cheap place and use the leftover financial aid money to make the payments.

Originally posted by calflowergirl
What do you all think of the pros/cons of UCI vs. USC?

USC has nicer classrooms, it's not completely isolated, there's LA County Hosp accross, more places to go eat at....

UCI is near the beach....can't think of that many other great things...:confused:

I'll give you pros and cons:

USC
Pros - Great clinical experience
Cons - You might get shot on the way to school, over $200k in debt

UCI
Pros - You won't get shot on the way to school, you won't be $200k in debt
Cons - You're in Irvine, CA

USC

UCI

hehe...ya, that's pretty much how far I got with the list...

Hard pick..

What are your plans to make those credit card payments in med school? I guess you could just live in a really cheap place and use the leftover financial aid money to make the payments.

i'm planning on finding a way to pay it off beforehand, or transferring it to a 0 interest thingie and yeah living cheaply and paying it off this fall. i also have to buy a car though if i don't end up in SF or NYC as planned.

Actually, USC's tutition IS $37k/yr. If you calculate outside expenses, it's ~ $50k/yr. Currently, evven with outside expenses, UCSD would be around $22k/yr. So that's $200k USC vs $88k USC. The difference is really over $120k between the two schools. Finally, UCSD gives much more grants than USC does.

I never said that USC's tuition was not 37K/yr. Is the # you gave for UCSD with outside expenses the current # for the 2003-2004 school year? Are the fees 17k now? So the ave student at UCSD is only spending 5k on outside expenses, while the ave student at USC is paying 13k on outside expenses? Wow, that seems like a big discrepancy. And even if UCSD students only spend 5K a year on outside expenses, the fees are going up and that 22k number won't apply next year.

USC

UCI

perfect

now what about UCSD?

i think tuition at ucsd is about 15K. but he may still be a bit off

its like 5K a quarter right folks?

so if it is 15k, students are only spending 7K on outside expenses. Assuming you pay 500/month for rent, that leaves you only 1k/year left for food, transportation, books, spending money ??????

perfect

now what about UCSD?

Pros - The weather, good reputation, also << $200k debt, you live in San Diego CA and not Irvine, CA

Cons - Clinical experience somewhat limited

Between the 3, I'd say UCSD is the winner.

hey alexander, wanna make all my decisions for me?

maybe organize my room?

Yes of course UCSD would be a better pick than USC and UCI.

Congrats Dr. Kevin!

Oh I wasn't referring to the prestige factor but to the school and it's curriculum/location.

the curriculum seems really tough but i think its good. this way i guess i can do well on the boards without doing as much on my own i would guess.

the location is obviously great.

To answer the OP the tuition hike is unknown at this point. The governor's proposal has a 40% increase for graduate tuition and has left the amount of increase for professional school up to the UCs themselves. The final budget will not be done until around July so until then all we can do is speculate. UC Davis has a website devoted to budget updates and I am sure all the campuses will be releasing the info as soon as it is known. It's annoying not to know.

i think we should be allowed to hold uc acceptances in addition to non-uc acceptances until we know how much will have to have pay to attend a uc.

Originally posted by snowbear
so if it is 15k, students are only spending 7K on outside expenses. Assuming you pay 500/month for rent, that leaves you only 1k/year left for food, transportation, books, spending money ??????

Good luck finding $500.00 rent in Irvine. It is one of the most expensive places to live in Cali. The student who interviewed me paid over $1000.00 to share a house. On-campus housing is around $700.00 (after the year long waitlist)

Originally posted by LoneCoyote
To answer the OP the tuition hike is unknown at this point. The governor's proposal has a 40% increase for graduate tuition and has left the amount of increase for professional school up to the UCs themselves. The final budget will not be done until around July so until then all we can do is speculate. UC Davis has a website devoted to budget updates and I am sure all the campuses will be releasing the info as soon as it is known. It's annoying not to know.

LoneCoyote,

I love how knowledgeable you are about the UC fees. So the 40% doesn't apply to professional schools, just to graduate schools? Do you have any idea how much the professional schools are going to raise the fees? What's your best guess on how much the UCs will be next year? Also, is it likely that the different UCs will differ greatly in respect to the fees?

Thanks so much

Here I was thinking this was the old UC cost thread. 4 points I'll make:
1. Today is March 9th. Hang onto any UC that you would take over X school depending on cost until May 15th.

2. The cost of living (including everything) at USC is estimated at 48K, 53K, 54K, 48K over the 4 years. This is pretty constant and won't change.

3. The cost of the UC tuition has generally been exactly the same across the board. UCDavis cost the same as UCI, as UCLA, etc, etc for at least the past 4 years. I wouldn't expect that to change.

4. The cost estimates that have been thrown out are at the low end, 17K which is what it is this year. The high end, 28K which is what I have heard (indirectly but from a perfect source) from the UCLA financial aid director. 40% of the 17K would put you at 24K, assuming there wasn't any planned budget increases already, so the 28K isn't to far off from that. Also, next year there is a 14B (read from the LAtimes yesterday) deficit, even with the latest props passing, so the tuition might not have topped out.

There actually are a ton of UCI v. USC threads from last year. here are some.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53951

commentary on that thread. Bounty and Zoerel ended up at USC and Kiping went to UCD. Also, there is a very interesting article about USC near the end and how we tried to switch to a computer system which crashed and might have killed some people.

and here is another one:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74088

JasonMIP went somewhere else, not USC. Donno if it was UCI.

I was at a UCI interview last month and they told us the tuition is likely to be around $22,000.

Originally posted by GTea
I was at a UCI interview last month and they told us the tuition is likely to be around $22,000.

Absolutely right... but $22,500. Dr. Kevin... if you are planning to withdraw, pm me so I can give you my info so that you can tell Gayle to just switch our names on the roster, ok?

hey alexander, wanna make all my decisions for me?

maybe organize my room?

Sure. I'll have to charge you a small fee though. :cool:

Here are my rates:

How to organize your room - $10
Where to go to med school - $50
What type of residency to enter - $100
Who to marry - $500

These rates apply to anyone else on here that's interested too.

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
Absolutely right... but $22,500. Dr. Kevin... if you are planning to withdraw, pm me so I can give you my info so that you can tell Gayle to just switch our names on the roster, ok?

hehe, no problem! i'm going to do it I just really want to look at the aid packages. Gayle is really nice.

Originally posted by Jalby
There actually are a ton of UCI v. USC threads from last year. here are some.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53951

commentary on that thread. Bounty and Zoerel ended up at USC and Kiping went to UCD. Also, there is a very interesting article about USC near the end and how we tried to switch to a computer system which crashed and might have killed some people.

and here is another one:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74088

JasonMIP went somewhere else, not USC. Donno if it was UCI.

kiping rocks. major help with the PS back in May. I owe her my life.