Any one planning to join Medicine (MBBS) for year 2012 at KMC Manipal or SRMC Ch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spacejet999

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any one planning to join Medicine (MBBS) for year 2012 at KMC Manipal or SRMC Chennai .
I am thinking of going to KMC Manipal for my medicine , since they have around 400 NRI students in their campus. I am hoping that it is not a culture shockand I am also from south india. Curently I am a high school senior in US. I will be good if we know each other and plan for a college that we can be successfull.

by the way I am from Orange County, California, USA

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt whether manipal institutions r still recognized in India.any info on that?

I am thinking about going to that University..but I don't know if I will be able to get in! lol

Members don't see this ad :)
hey i am also a student here in new york. I was wondering if I should go to india for school? Did you make it? Right now i am a freshman in college and i am not doing that well at all. Do you think I would have a chance? Thanks!

Manipal, AIIMS, SRM and many such Indian med schools will charge anywhere between $150k - 200K and name it as capitation fee. Our family friends kids are attending from LA and they have a way of managing question papers ahead of time. Take your skill inventory, and ask yourself do you really want to pay and study in an institution which is unethical? What will be your learning? I am not saying everybody in those schools are cheating but it's all over the media in India that's why I am requesting you to re-evaluate your plan. Feel proud of what you are capable of....If you are smart this money can take you way ahead in life with a job that will make you very proud and satisfied.

Last edited:
Take easy courses, and score well in them. Do some meaningful EC activities and demonstrate your passion for medicine. There are 130 med schools in the US, if you work hard there'll be someone willing to give you admission. Graduating from US med school is huge if you plan to practice in the US. Check all the obstacles and very limited choice of residency in graduating from foreign med school. You will regret later if you are a high achiever.....

Those who are planning to attend KMC or similar kinds should also check the consequences of getting residency in the US after USMLEs.....last I heard that their programs have gotten such a slack, bad media reviews, many illegal way of getting residencies in limited hospitals in the US, that now the MBBS grads may have to pay from their pocket to do residency in the US.....

I know SRM has loads of NRI kids and majority of them are from LA.....weigh all your options before jumping into going to med school in India....