Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Any one who got accepted to pharmacy school with this status

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by pharm41, Aug 10, 2006.

1. pharm41

pharm41 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Bachelors degree 3.2 overall GPA. A couple of W on some of the prerequisties. No PCAT

2. GatorRxGirl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    this is a pre-pharm question. And numbers alone do not make an applicant.

3. Shmy2008

Shmy2008 What the...?
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    You haven't technically done the prerequisite work if you have W's in those classes, right? So my answer would be no, you could not get into a pharmacy school if you have not completed their prerequisites. And depending on the school you want to apply to, not having taken the PCAT may also be problematic.

4. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You're doomed.

5. drhemi70

drhemi70 Member
    10+ Year Member

Seek Life Else Where.
    Dr

6. pharm41

pharm41 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    The last two replys why do you have to be rude? B/C u are already in pharmacy school, very funny.

7. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Sorry, but if you withdrew from prerequisite courses it doesn't look good. Why did you withdraw? Unless you were in the hospital or had a serious family problem, there's no reason for a W. You have to explain those W's on an interview.

8. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Moving to pre-pharmacy. :)

9. ChemistI

ChemistI Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

the only reason to withdraw is to get an A in the course. I was faced with that option once. The options were a high B or withdraw and get an A. the teacher didn't let me option out of the course. :mad:

10. ttran01

ttran01 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    well im not sure about pharmacy school. but for the optometry school in southern california..i called them and they told me that a few W's on the transcript wont affect admissions just as long as theirs no trends of W's and just as long as you retake the class. i was taking a physics class during the summer and i wasn't sure if i was going to pass the class so it was either try really hard for a C or get a W. before i dropped it i called the optometry school i was interested in and they told me i should be fine since it was my first W. and if you're not going to take the PCAT you would have to apply to the schools that dont require PCAT for admission.

11. ttran01

ttran01 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    oh yeah....in my opinion....W---->A doesnt look bad........but W----->C ehhh, doesnt look so good.

12. drhemi70

drhemi70 Member
    10+ Year Member

pharm41,
    Yes I'm in pharm school. That is not why I was rude. I was rude because Every time I come here to read about what has been going on in other pharmacys, and with other people, I have to scroll through three hundred what do you think my chances are with these stats. Guess what most people around here aren't on admission commitees. So how the hell are we supposed to know what your chances are? Anyone here who claims to have knowledge of what someones chances are other than # of students applying for a # of postions is speculating. Do well in your classes, Retake those w classes and do well on the PCAT. Then do well on the pcat, study hard before you take it, and take all or most of your prereqs before you take it. Then apply and pray to God, Alla, or Budda that you get in.
    DR

13. SpenceRx

SpenceRx Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    +1

14. pharm41

pharm41 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    drhemi70, My question wasn't specifically for you. My question was for pharmD students who got accepted to pharmacy school with this status, since you are not one of those people you shouldn't bother to answer my question. To bad you have to go through three hundred similar questions, next time when you saw this kind of question skip it instead of being rude. I don't think you have to be rude b/c u don't know the answer.

15. pharmwannebe2

pharmwannebe2 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    well you have a better chance of getting into pharmacy school than those people that only took 2 years of pre-pharm because you have a bachelors degree. If you get a Good pcat score 80-90. i don't see the problem in you getting into pharmacy school. so go study for them and take it. :cool:

16. Pharmcdc

Pharmcdc Troches & lollipops
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Noone TRULY knows the answer. You have stated that you have a few W's. That alone could mean the difference in you getting in or not, I mean, have you retaken the classes? and what are the classes? Also, you have not taken the PCAT. Well, that rules you out of like 95% of all pharmacy schools, are we suppose to just guess what you would get on the PCAT? All the previous posters were trying to point out is that you have provided little info(at least positive info) for us to give you an educated guess, and all we would be doing is guessing because if your stats were IDENTICLE to someone else's still means nothing.....different people. Different Adcom's.

To try and answer your question, some people have gotten in with a 2.9, some have 4.0. Some have 99% PCAT, others have 60%PCAT.(maybe less?) All we have are averages. People here are not magicians that can wave their wands and say "abracadabra" your in! Do a search, because this topic has been discussed exponentially!

Seriously,
    Take the PCAT, finish your classes, then compare school stats.

17. kochun

kochun Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Hey, don't be discouraged. I got in to USC wit your stats... just get a variety of pharmacy experience.

18. pharm41

pharm41 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

Sorry for not providing enough info. Yes I have retaken those classes, and I have also taken the PCAT but I scored really bad on the PCAT and I don't want to take it again. I am a registered pharm tech and currently volunteering at one small pharmacy.

19. Chuckwalla

Chuckwalla Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This is the rest of your life we are talking about. Study hard for the test and do well on it, you don't want to look back 20 years from and know you are not a pharmacist because of some test.

To the people who are chewing this guy out for asking what his chances are. First if you don't like the post don't reply. Also if you are already in pharmacy school you have mostly forgotten the anxiety and uncertainty you felt trying to get in (unless you were a complete shoo in). All he is asking for is a little peace of mind, instead of that he gets people who are already in rubbing it in his face.

20. smallkitty00

smallkitty00 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I agree. I am applying too and the anxiety is killing me. I have to make several plans of what I will do if I do/do no get it.

I wish the original poster the best!

21. PharmMnM

PharmMnM Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

That is soo true. A lot of people here (including myself) don't know the answers and would love it if people here provided some feedback on their experiences or have stories of friends who got in, etc.
    I have similar stats. My GPA is 3.1. I got 3 C's in 3 science classes I took one semester because of medical problems and I was a complete idiot for not dropping out or Withdrawing. I have no bachelors and about 2 W's (one in Calculus and one in a speech class I forgot to withdraw)

I am a complete wreck so this post is for people like me!!!! If you are easily bothered.........jsut simply hit the X button and move [email protected]!

22. drhemi70

drhemi70 Member
    10+ Year Member

I got into school with almost exactly the same stats. 3.0 GPA, 150 credits, two degrees Biochem and Biomed. Worked for a pharma company for four years designing drugs. Applied to schools not requiring a PCAT first year thinking I was a shoe in, and decided to become a pharmacist late in the cycle. Didn't here back from any. Was already taking some prereqs I missed the first time around - Anat, Phys, Calc 2, and a retake of chem 2 becuase it had been seven years and I was weak on some of the formulas.

I decided in my second application cycle I would apply to all the schools I wanted to, so I took the PCAT. Studied hard for it and got 92% comp on it the first time I took it. Worked hard on the pre reqs I had missed and earned a 4.0 GPA on about twenty credits of those. I applied to some of the supposedly easist schools to get into. Univ. of Montana, Univ. of Wyo, South Dak state univ., Univ. of Utah, and Midwest Ariz. You know how many I heard a yes for even a interview? One Uwyo. I was accepted.

Sorry for being a bit harsh before, hope this helps. It is hard to get in, so do your best the first time from now on.
    DR