Any one who got accepted to pharmacy school with this status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm41

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bachelors degree 3.2 overall GPA. A couple of W on some of the prerequisties. No PCAT

Members don't see this ad.

pharm41 said:
Bachelors degree 3.2 overall GPA. A couple of W on some of the prerequisties. No PCAT

this is a pre-pharm question. And numbers alone do not make an applicant.

You haven't technically done the prerequisite work if you have W's in those classes, right? So my answer would be no, you could not get into a pharmacy school if you have not completed their prerequisites. And depending on the school you want to apply to, not having taken the PCAT may also be problematic.

Members don't see this ad :)
pharm41 said:

You're doomed.

The last two replys why do you have to be rude? B/C u are already in pharmacy school, very funny.

pharm41 said:
The last two replys why do you have to be rude? B/C u are already in pharmacy school, very funny.

Sorry, but if you withdrew from prerequisite courses it doesn't look good. Why did you withdraw? Unless you were in the hospital or had a serious family problem, there's no reason for a W. You have to explain those W's on an interview.

dgroulx said:
Sorry, but if you withdrew from prerequisite courses it doesn't look good. Why did you withdraw? Unless you were in the hospital or had a serious family problem, there's no reason for a W. You have to explain those W's on an interview.

the only reason to withdraw is to get an A in the course. I was faced with that option once. The options were a high B or withdraw and get an A. the teacher didn't let me option out of the course. :mad:

well im not sure about pharmacy school. but for the optometry school in southern california..i called them and they told me that a few W's on the transcript wont affect admissions just as long as theirs no trends of W's and just as long as you retake the class. i was taking a physics class during the summer and i wasn't sure if i was going to pass the class so it was either try really hard for a C or get a W. before i dropped it i called the optometry school i was interested in and they told me i should be fine since it was my first W. and if you're not going to take the PCAT you would have to apply to the schools that dont require PCAT for admission.

oh yeah....in my opinion....W---->A doesnt look bad........but W----->C ehhh, doesnt look so good.

pharm41,
Yes I'm in pharm school. That is not why I was rude. I was rude because Every time I come here to read about what has been going on in other pharmacys, and with other people, I have to scroll through three hundred what do you think my chances are with these stats. Guess what most people around here aren't on admission commitees. So how the hell are we supposed to know what your chances are? Anyone here who claims to have knowledge of what someones chances are other than # of students applying for a # of postions is speculating. Do well in your classes, Retake those w classes and do well on the PCAT. Then do well on the pcat, study hard before you take it, and take all or most of your prereqs before you take it. Then apply and pray to God, Alla, or Budda that you get in.
DR

drhemi70 said:
pharm41,
Yes I'm in pharm school. That is not why I was rude. I was rude because Every time I come here to read about what has been going on in other pharmacys, and with other people, I have to scroll through three hundred what do you think my chances are with these stats. Guess what most people around here aren't on admission commitees. So how the hell are we supposed to know what your chances are? Anyone here who claims to have knowledge of what someones chances are other than # of students applying for a # of postions is speculating. Do well in your classes, Retake those w classes and do well on the PCAT. Then do well on the pcat, study hard before you take it, and take all or most of your prereqs before you take it. Then apply and pray to God, Alla, or Budda that you get in.
DR

+1

drhemi70, My question wasn't specifically for you. My question was for pharmD students who got accepted to pharmacy school with this status, since you are not one of those people you shouldn't bother to answer my question. To bad you have to go through three hundred similar questions, next time when you saw this kind of question skip it instead of being rude. I don't think you have to be rude b/c u don't know the answer.

pharm41 said:

well you have a better chance of getting into pharmacy school than those people that only took 2 years of pre-pharm because you have a bachelors degree. If you get a Good pcat score 80-90. i don't see the problem in you getting into pharmacy school. so go study for them and take it. :cool:

pharm41 said:
drhemi70, My question wasn't specifically for you. My question was for pharmD students who got accepted to pharmacy school with this status, since you are not one of those people you shouldn't bother to answer my question. To bad you have to go through three hundred similar questions, next time when you saw this kind of question skip it instead of being rude. I don't think you have to be rude b/c u don't know the answer.

Noone TRULY knows the answer. You have stated that you have a few W's. That alone could mean the difference in you getting in or not, I mean, have you retaken the classes? and what are the classes? Also, you have not taken the PCAT. Well, that rules you out of like 95% of all pharmacy schools, are we suppose to just guess what you would get on the PCAT? All the previous posters were trying to point out is that you have provided little info(at least positive info) for us to give you an educated guess, and all we would be doing is guessing because if your stats were IDENTICLE to someone else's still means nothing.....different people. Different Adcom's.

To try and answer your question, some people have gotten in with a 2.9, some have 4.0. Some have 99% PCAT, others have 60%PCAT.(maybe less?) All we have are averages. People here are not magicians that can wave their wands and say "abracadabra" your in! Do a search, because this topic has been discussed exponentially!

Seriously,
Take the PCAT, finish your classes, then compare school stats.

pharm41 said:

Hey, don't be discouraged. I got in to USC wit your stats... just get a variety of pharmacy experience.

Pharmcdc said:
Noone TRULY knows the answer. You have stated that you have a few W's. That alone could mean the difference in you getting in or not, I mean, have you retaken the classes? and what are the classes? Also, you have not taken the PCAT. Well, that rules you out of like 95% of all pharmacy schools, are we suppose to just guess what you would get on the PCAT? All the previous posters were trying to point out is that you have provided little info(at least positive info) for us to give you an educated guess, and all we would be doing is guessing because if your stats were IDENTICLE to someone else's still means nothing.....different people. Different Adcom's.

To try and answer your question, some people have gotten in with a 2.9, some have 4.0. Some have 99% PCAT, others have 60%PCAT.(maybe less?) All we have are averages. People here are not magicians that can wave their wands and say "abracadabra" your in! Do a search, because this topic has been discussed exponentially!

Seriously,
Take the PCAT, finish your classes, then compare school stats.

Sorry for not providing enough info. Yes I have retaken those classes, and I have also taken the PCAT but I scored really bad on the PCAT and I don't want to take it again. I am a registered pharm tech and currently volunteering at one small pharmacy.

pharm41 said:
Sorry for not providing enough info. Yes I have retaken those classes, and I have also taken the PCAT but I scored really bad on the PCAT and I don't want to take it again. I am a registered pharm tech and currently volunteering at one small pharmacy.

This is the rest of your life we are talking about. Study hard for the test and do well on it, you don't want to look back 20 years from and know you are not a pharmacist because of some test.

To the people who are chewing this guy out for asking what his chances are. First if you don't like the post don't reply. Also if you are already in pharmacy school you have mostly forgotten the anxiety and uncertainty you felt trying to get in (unless you were a complete shoo in). All he is asking for is a little peace of mind, instead of that he gets people who are already in rubbing it in his face.

Chuckwalla said:
This is the rest of your life we are talking about. Study hard for the test and do well on it, you don't want to look back 20 years from and know you are not a pharmacist because of some test.

To the people who are chewing this guy out for asking what his chances are. First if you don't like the post don't reply. Also if you are already in pharmacy school you have mostly forgotten the anxiety and uncertainty you felt trying to get in (unless you were a complete shoo in). All he is asking for is a little peace of mind, instead of that he gets people who are already in rubbing it in his face.

I agree. I am applying too and the anxiety is killing me. I have to make several plans of what I will do if I do/do no get it.

I wish the original poster the best!

Chuckwalla said:

That is soo true. A lot of people here (including myself) don't know the answers and would love it if people here provided some feedback on their experiences or have stories of friends who got in, etc.
I have similar stats. My GPA is 3.1. I got 3 C's in 3 science classes I took one semester because of medical problems and I was a complete idiot for not dropping out or Withdrawing. I have no bachelors and about 2 W's (one in Calculus and one in a speech class I forgot to withdraw)

I am a complete wreck so this post is for people like me!!!! If you are easily bothered.........jsut simply hit the X button and move on@!

pharm41 said:

I got into school with almost exactly the same stats. 3.0 GPA, 150 credits, two degrees Biochem and Biomed. Worked for a pharma company for four years designing drugs. Applied to schools not requiring a PCAT first year thinking I was a shoe in, and decided to become a pharmacist late in the cycle. Didn't here back from any. Was already taking some prereqs I missed the first time around - Anat, Phys, Calc 2, and a retake of chem 2 becuase it had been seven years and I was weak on some of the formulas.

I decided in my second application cycle I would apply to all the schools I wanted to, so I took the PCAT. Studied hard for it and got 92% comp on it the first time I took it. Worked hard on the pre reqs I had missed and earned a 4.0 GPA on about twenty credits of those. I applied to some of the supposedly easist schools to get into. Univ. of Montana, Univ. of Wyo, South Dak state univ., Univ. of Utah, and Midwest Ariz. You know how many I heard a yes for even a interview? One Uwyo. I was accepted.

Sorry for being a bit harsh before, hope this helps. It is hard to get in, so do your best the first time from now on.
DR