Any one year military residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docbree

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if you guys had an opinion on joining the military in my 3rd or 4th year of med school. My reasoning is I really have a desire to work in PM&R at a military hospital, like Walter Reed. I realize the financial incentive isn't really there this late in the game, but I'm more concerned about getting the military residency I want, so I can work with the troops. I haven't been able to find anyone with any answers or suggestions, including recruiters. Have any of you guys done this? Thanks a lot for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but if that's your goal it would seem the best route would be a civilian PM&R residency and then working as a civilian employee at a military hospital.

If you join now, they might very well say "we don't have any PM&R spots. Go do a medicine internship" I've got to agree with Dead Cactus on this one.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but if that's your goal it would seem the best route would be a civilian PM&R residency and then working as a civilian employee at a military hospital.
Second this.