Position Wanted Any open PGY1 FM or IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medgirlmt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current FM resident but would like to change residencies. I'm having a hard time figuring out where to go to look for openings. I am open to any location, but would prefer an unopposed FM program. Can anyone tell me about how they switched residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current FM resident but would like to change residencies. I'm having a hard time figuring out where to go to look for openings. I am open to any location, but would prefer an unopposed FM program. Can anyone tell me about how they switched residencies?

I can’t help you much, but I left PGY1 year in April (so still a PGY1) and have been unsuccessfully trying a FM residency since then (a good 6 months). You can pay to be on resident swap which is where I’ve gotten most of my leads. The others come from my old PD, so that’s probably of no help to you.

I’ve seen 5? 6? Positions for pgy1 open up in that time that are publically advertised. I thought there was going to be a lot more tbh. But I am only familiar with leaving and trying to come back. I don’t really know how “swapping” works.

My unsolicited two cents of wisdom is plan mentally to finish out the year, with applying March-April for pgy2, to try to transfer for July 1. I don’t have any info on the logistics of doing that, but theres WAY more wiggle room applying for a PGY2 spot (which I don’t qualify for) because you have pgy-1 complete. . I’ve probably seen about 15 or 20 of those openings and they stick around for longer.

As for the unopposed part....beggars can’t be choosers. I’ve gone from wanting unopposed near a city with transfer of most of my credits...to unopposed City or rural with transfer of some of my credits ...to I will live in a hut and do a five year FM residency program from scratch just please please please hire me.

There are a buttload of IM and FM spots posted on residencyswap right now. Vacancies get posted there too but they come and go really quick.

There are a buttload of IM and FM spots posted on residencyswap right now. Vacancies get posted there too but they come and go really quick.

That is true- to clarify I meant 5 or 6 vacancies over the past few months. I can’t speak to swapping opportunities :)

Reactions: 1 user