Any opinions for Loma Linda, Western, or Regis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaminaks

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice to where I should go for my DPT. I got in to Loma Linda, Western, and Regis. I really want to get as much information, advice, and opinions before I decide. Could you please help me out? Which school should I go to?

Members don't see this ad.

Looking over answers to similar threads, I would say go with the cheapest program and also the highest licensure pass rate. I've heard from multiple sources that the program itself doesn't really matter--everyone learns pretty much the same thing, it's your experience in an actual rehabilitative setting that counts.

I did a little bit of research and it looks like Loma Linda is the cheapest school and has a 97% licensure pass rate. Both Regis and Western are more expensive for the 3 years of schooling, with a 92% pass rate for Western.

Good luck with the choice! When do you have to decide by?

My recommendations are:

Look at your own situation. Everyone seems to recommend non-private schools to save money on tuition (which makes sense). However, when I applied to school, I based my decisions on location and the opportunities I was afforded by certain schools. For example, I wanted the chance to be a part of a program that has excellent research in which I could be a part of (most schools with a medical school will have this resource). Some of these schools have other resources such as a biomech lab, true anatomy lab, etc. I also wanted to go to a school with a variety of QUALITY clinical sites throughout the country so I could get a good sense of how different PT is practiced elsewhere, especially keeping in mind that I may practice there (many of my classmates did clinicals here in the NYC/NJ area, however, many of us went to Cali, Hawaii, Texas, Colo, Wash, Penn, VA, DC, Israel, and even Australia). Many schools only have sites in the immediate area (which is fine if that's what you're looking for). All schools will teach you to be a generalist and to prepare you to pass the boards. Some schools seem to prepare its students better than others. Pass rates are important to look at subjectively, however, i guess I believe each individual determines whether they pass the boards or not. Financially, we will all pretty much make similar new grad salaries once finished so think about how long you will be paying off loans.

There's a lot to think about in what YOU want in a school. I'm sure whether you choose a private or state school you will have a good experience. So look at the intangibles that each school has to offer and the opportunities they may open for you (it may be worth the extra cost of tuition).

Good luck and congrats. (and sorry I don't have an opinion on any of your schools)

BTW, I chose to go to a private school, am 6 figures in debt, and every penny was worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not completely agree with the 'cheapest school wins', not all schools are the same.

As a clinical instructor, preparation by the school can differ a great deal, independent of cost. There are some schools I will no longer take students from because of the demand of my clinical environment; basic skills have been too weak, and maturity has not been emphasized.

Some programs are more consistent than others in the graduate they produce, making transition into the clinic easy or sometimes quite difficult. Of course, a great, motivated student can thrive in a suboptimal environment, but where would they be if appropriately challenged by faculty and fellow students? PT education is no different from any other program in academia. Not all law, business, or medical schools are the same. Each program has its strengths and weaknesses. Some just more than others.

The other aspect is in the 'real world' it's not what you know, it's who. Connections can sometimes be worth the extra $$. Just another perspective to consider.

Hey thanks for the info guys...I really appreciate any kind of opinion or suggestion. Going to PT school is not cheap so I want to make the right decision on where to go. The worst scenario for me would be to one day be sitting in class and thinking, "I wish I was somewhere else." Anyway, since Loma Linda is starting in early June I had to turn them down because I think I might not have ample time to move from Hawaii to California in that short of a time frame. So now its basically between Regis in Colorado or Western in California. I just got a tuition quote from Western for $29,200 for the 2008-2009 academic year and Regis just sent me an email stating that all incoming DPT students must either take a Medical Terminology class this summer or pass a written Medical Terminology test on orientation day. This makes my decision even harder because Regis's tution is much cheaper, however, I would have to jump the "Medical Terminology hurdle" to be considered a Regis DPT student. Something else to consider is that I just checked the PT school rankings and Regis is ranked but Western is not. I've been ready posts by people on this forum and there is much debate on basing school decisions on tution. Any more opinions would be helpful is anyone knows something I don't. If not thanks anyway...

Hey thanks for the info guys...I really appreciate any kind of opinion or suggestion. Going to PT school is not cheap so I want to make the right decision on where to go. The worst scenario for me would be to one day be sitting in class and thinking, "I wish I was somewhere else." Anyway, since Loma Linda is starting in early June I had to turn them down because I think I might not have ample time to move from Hawaii to California in that short of a time frame. So now its basically between Regis in Colorado or Western in California. I just got a tuition quote from Western for $29,200 for the 2008-2009 academic year and Regis just sent me an email stating that all incoming DPT students must either take a Medical Terminology class this summer or pass a written Medical Terminology test on orientation day. This makes my decision even harder because Regis's tution is much cheaper, however, I would have to jump the "Medical Terminology hurdle" to be considered a Regis DPT student. Something else to consider is that I just checked the PT school rankings and Regis is ranked but Western is not. I've been ready posts by people on this forum and there is much debate on basing school decisions on tution. Any more opinions would be helpful is anyone knows something I don't. If not thanks anyway...

The School that I got into also wants me to take a medical terminology class and even though it's a pain in the butt, I say take it at a CC. That's what I am doing. My school isn't ranked and I am not making a big deal out of it in my mind. In the end, the rankings are only based on peer reviews

Kaminaks,
I studied from a workbook on medical terminology and took this test.. did fine. It's a great school & worth the hurdle, IMO.

PTapp, thats a great idea I'll check around my area to see if there is any schools that offer a med terminology class. If not I'll take Elbrus's suggestion and study a workbook or a text in the next couple of months to get ready. Thanks for the input though, I really appreciate it...