SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Any opinions on Family Practice doctors?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by drmoon, Feb 27, 2002.

1. drmoon

drmoon Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 18, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm wondering if this specialty is considered the "lower rung" of medical specialties. Like, if you couldn't get any other residency you would end up getting this one.

I keep hearing that it's more difficult to make ends meet as an FP. Does anyone know what kind of average salary an FP can expect after finishing a residency? Are there enough jobs? Do they need more money after residency to start up their own practice??

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. barcher

barcher Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 7, 2001
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Okay, let me preface this by saying that I'm not a FP doctor, in fact I'll be starting medical school this summer. However, One of my good friends recently finished his residency in FP, so I feel somewhat qualified to comment. First of all, FP is one of the lesser competitive residencies. But, this is partly the case because of such a high need for them, particularly in under served areas. As for meeting "ends meat", come on. While they may be among the lower paid doctors, they are still making a lot of money. My friend, who recently joined a practice in Baton Rouge is making $130K/yr his first year, and will be making $180K/yr by his fourth year. That's hardly peanuts.
  4. nebula7

nebula7 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2002
    An FP I used to work for makes about $130K now, and has no call (doesn't have to report to hospital anyway) and works pretty much 9-5 Monday-Friday. This Dr has only been done with residency for about 2 yrs. I don't know what all other medical fields pay right now, but I think I could get by on $130K. :)

On the other hand..
    One thing an interviewer got me thinking about is the increasing # of nurse practitioners that are entering FP. This person said that 10yrs from now, family practice as we know it will cease to exist, as more and more clinics will be looking to replace expensive MDs with NPs that they can pay with maybe 1/3 the cost. I'm not saying I think this is going to necessarily happen, but it is another point to consider.