Any opinions on UCLA-Harbor??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TylerDurden

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any residents, rotating students or anyone else had any opinions on the Harbor program. I really liked the program during my visit but am from the East coast and did not get to spend much time there. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Harbor is a fantastic program... I really liked it when I was there for the interview. Faculty were friendly and excited about teaching. Patient population covers all your bases and you get plenty of very ill cases. Plus you are in LA! Can't beat that. As far as 3 year programs go, this is my #1. Actually, it's my #1 out of all the programs I interviewed at (both 3 and 4 years).

In my opinion, other solid 3 year programs are Pitt, Maryland, and UNC. If you still want west coast, consider Highland, USC/LAC, and UCSD (but they are 4 years).

Harbor is also the program closest to the beach of the west coast program, AFAICT.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only downsides that I can see to harbor are:

1. The poverty level wages
2. I've heard the residents already get worked (not that that's necessarily bad, just be aware) and with the expected increase in volume with the closure of MLK trauma I imagine it will only get tougher

Otherwise, I thought it was a great program. Would be very happy to match there. I would rank it higher if they didn't only pay 35k!

The closure of MLK's trauma will have some, but not a huge, effect on Harbor. The majority of that trauma volume will be going to California Hospital and USC/County downtown. More of an impact will come from the closure of nearby RFK, as they both serve similar population economically and geographically. In short, it's definitely a hard-working residency program but with excellent didactics as well. When I rotated there as a student many moons ago, there seemed to be more of an emphasis on "moving the meat" during day-to-day work than I found in my own program later.

Sessamoid said:
The closure of MLK's trauma will have some, but not a huge, effect on Harbor. The majority of that trauma volume will be going to California Hospital and USC/County downtown. More of an impact will come from the closure of nearby RFK, as they both serve similar population economically and geographically. In short, it's definitely a hard-working residency program but with excellent didactics as well. When I rotated there as a student many moons ago, there seemed to be more of an emphasis on "moving the meat" during day-to-day work than I found in my own program later.

During my interview, I recall hearing something along the lines of an expected bump in volume of roughly 10,000 visits per year. I don't recall whether that was expected from MLK or RFK...