Any options as an MD in Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WTTL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to med school with the idea of becoming a psychiatrist as mental health is where my passion lies. However, I had a couple of hiccups in med school and securing a residency in psychiatry doesn't seem very likely at this time.

I am wondering if there is a way to crack into the psychology or mental health world with an MD degree. Examples could be in research, psychoanalysis, etc. I likely have enough training, work, volunteer and extracurricular experience with psychiatry and psychology for job managers to give me a look. I just don't know what positions to apply for, if any.

Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming you don't have a license which will be an incredible barrier.

1) Psychoanalysis is out because all training institutes require one to be licensed for admission. It would be illegal to practice without a license anyway.
2) Frankly, your MD doesn't really offer much in and of itself for research when compared to people with doctorates in research. You could volunteer for a research position, gain experience there, and continue on. I have seen this done, but it was purposeful and the person only made like 80K.
3) Most healthcare admin jobs want someone to have a license.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
How bad are your "hiccups"? Sounds like psych is getting much more competitive, or at least was this year. That could be in part because it was rumored to be less competitive, thereby attracting large numbers of less competitive applicants and thereby becoming more competitive. Could be next year or two the pendulum swings back the other way. In any case, your background, previous training and genuine passion for the field will help you secure a spot. Certainly worth a try -- If not, there are licensed MDs with full or partial residencies in other fields practicing in the mental health field. They're not BE psychiatrists, but that might not be something their patients know...

Members don't see this ad :)
The single best path is to first get a residency in ANYTHING. For example, if you were to match to peds or family medicine there is plenty of opportunity to focus on mental health in your practice. Once licensed you can take additional training in various intervention modalities such as CBT, psychoanalysis, etc.

You would be at a real disadvantage applying for science/research positions. An MD degree just doesn't supply that skill set. Master's degree holders (MS, MPH) would likely be more competitive.

Reactions: 3 users
I went to med school with the idea of becoming a psychiatrist as mental health is where my passion lies. However, I had a couple of hiccups in med school and securing a residency in psychiatry doesn't seem very likely at this time.

I am wondering if there is a way to crack into the psychology or mental health world with an MD degree. Examples could be in research, psychoanalysis, etc. I likely have enough training, work, volunteer and extracurricular experience with psychiatry and psychology for job managers to give me a look. I just don't know what positions to apply for, if any.

Thank you for your help.

There's an online community called "Drop Out Club" @ DOC - Innovative healthcare careers for doctors and scientists for MDs that want to pursue alternative careers. You may find it helpful at least for some support if nothing else. In terms of research, I've only seen research fellowships but not in placement of residency. But you may have better luck looking into pharma companies for potential leads.

Last edited:
One option, if you're interested in working with patients struggling with addiction: IM or FM --> fellowship in addiction medicine.

There are also various behavioral health fellowships for primary care physicians. With some initiative and extra training, an FM or IM physician can offer integrated behavioral health services in a primary care setting.

Give this a read: Primary Care Behavioral health - Wikipedia

If you are interested in doing anything in the realm of psychotherapy or psychoanalysis, you will need to get a degree that provides you with foundational training in those areas and you'll need to complete sufficient clinical work to get a clinical license. Having an MD won't replace any of that training or clinical work and it won't help you satisfy licensure requirements. It may help you to gain admission to a doctoral program as it's an unusual path, but it's unlikely to save you any time. Becoming a licensed psychologist generally requires 4-5 years of graduate school which includes coursework, clinical practica, research, and producing a thesis and a dissertation. You'll also need to complete a year of internship after that, followed by some type of postdoctoral clinical work as part of a formal fellowship program or otherwise. I can't speak to the requirements for becoming a licensed clinical social worker, though.

If you're interested in research I would expect that you'll be more able to transition directly into some kind of coordinator position. They won't be high level positions (e.g. PIs and people who've been writing their own grants) and they're often soft money jobs but could be good experience. Best of luck!

Although some of the big psychoanalysts were MDs many many years ago, our fields are completely distinct with separate training and licenses that are heavily-regulated.

I would strongly encourage you to do whatever you need to to get any residency you can and finish. Is there a way you can seek out more specific psychiatric training after residency (even if it's the hard way, like paying for consultation/trainings)? In psychology, we can do that for ongoing education and pay for trainings in a particular specialty/niche after licensure, and although it isn't ideal, it's at least possible.

There's just no real way to "transfer" an M.D. to a PH.D. You basically have to start over in the field of psychology, which is a HUGE undertaking, unfortunately. It might be best to stick with your training and experiences, if you can.

Are you not crazy enough to still think about everything Psychologically? I think it's wellll more into something Psychiatric me. You want that piece of paper man for assurance or something lol

Talk to your school first, obviously, because they should want you to succeed! But a lot of folks have taken a year or two off apparently (there are threads about it). Are you looking less desirable areas, combined residencies, spots that don't get filled in the match, and at osteo residencies with dual accreditation? Good luck!