Any Osteopathic Ortho Programs in Philly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phallacious

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
perhaps you misread his post. He said the best osteopathic ortho program is in philly... meaning of anywhere in the country, it is the best osteopathic ortho program.

Exactly.

UMDNJ-SOM is right over the bridge and the program there is really strong as well.

perhaps you misread his post. He said the best osteopathic ortho program is in philly... meaning of anywhere in the country, it is the best osteopathic ortho program.

My bad

The only downside is if you're not a student at PCOM, Good F-ing luck.

from there website: 13/18 are from PCOM. 2 from NOVA, 2 from CCOM, 1 from LECOM.

The only downside is if you're not a student at PCOM, Good F-ing luck.

from there website: 13/18 are from PCOM. 2 from NOVA, 2 from CCOM, 1 from LECOM.

The best programs recruit from the best schools. :thumbup:

JP being as honest and modest as ever. ;)

Hey Dr. JPH,

questions:

1) Any idea what is minimum COMLEX score they will consider for a non PCOM grad?

2) On that link they only list PGY2-PGY5. What happened to PGY1?

Thanks,

Phall

PGY-1 didnt exist for PA DOs until this coming match. PGY1 is called the internship year.

Hey Dr. JPH,

questions:

1) Any idea what is minimum COMLEX score they will consider for a non PCOM grad?

I dont know if there is a specific number but I would think you would want a 550 or better to be really competitive (assuming other things are in order with your application). Dont quote me on that number though.

2) On that link they only list PGY2-PGY5. What happened to PGY1?

Up through this year all PCOM residents had to complete a tracked internship program. You were technically in the Ortho, Surg, Neurosurg, etc program BUT you needed to do a traditional rotating internship through the PCOM system. No need to reapply though.

Next year will be different. There will no longer be the rotating internship requirement as it currently stands.

For salary, subtract about $1,500 to figure out the intern salary. Or just look under the PCOM internship website.

Thanks,

Phall

Yep.

I dont know if there is a specific number but I would think you would want a 550 or better to be really competitive (assuming other things are in order with your application). Dont quote me on that number though.

Up through this year all PCOM residents had to complete a tracked internship program. You were technically in the Ortho, Surg, Neurosurg, etc program BUT you needed to do a traditional rotating internship through the PCOM system. No need to reapply though.

Next year will be different. There will no longer be the rotating internship requirement as it currently stands.

For salary, subtract about $1,500 to figure out the intern salary. Or just look under the PCOM internship website.

Yep.

One more question:

is this first year a pyramid scheme, which is what they have going at the Osteo Ortho program in NY at Peninsula Hospital where they admit twice the number of 1st years that they keep second year (PGY-2)?

Or is it more on the up and up?

One more question:

is this first year a pyramid scheme, which is what they have going at the Osteo Ortho program in NY at Peninsula Hospital where they admit twice the number of 1st years that they keep second year (PGY-2)?

Or is it more on the up and up?

From what I understand if you are accepted into the program as an Ortho intern you complete the program unless you are booted out for any particular reason.

I'm currently reading the book, "Hot Lights, Cold Steel: Life, Death and Sleepless Nights in a Surgeon's First Years," by Michael J. Collins.

It's a fairly good read and from what I hear an accurate representation of surgical residency.

I'm currently reading the book, "Hot Lights, Cold Steel: Life, Death and Sleepless Nights in a Surgeon's First Years," by Michael J. Collins.

It's a fairly good read and from what I hear an accurate representation of surgical residency.

I read that book, too. It was interesting. I forget exactly what part of the book it was, but it was pretty disturbing when the surgeon drilled the pin in the little boys femur without anesthesia for traction.

one of my trauma attendings is one of his fellow residents in the book. he won't tell us which one he is though...