Mar 23, 2010
Status
I was just wondering if there were any careers in the veterinary field that offer decent salaries/careers other then a vet/vet tech. I have the grades to get into vet school but am apprehensive about how long it will take me to get into vet school and the amount of debt I will accummulate in the process. I have seen many non-dvm graduate programs within vet programs and other departments that are offered. I thought doing something with food animals might be appealing to employers as I want to work with animals but might not want to commit to becoming a vet.

Thank you

Jan 18, 2006
Status
Veterinarian
You can pursue both Masters degrees and PhD degrees in veterinary science. Will be research degrees though - depending on the project may be a lot of animal work or much more bench/labwork.

BlacKAT33

UPenn c/o 2014!! :)
Jul 1, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
well, considering that you'll need to probably get an MS or PhD to get the type of job you want...that will also be more schooling. If your problem is only the amount of time spent in school, i think starting vet school asap is your best bet. It is only 4 years, you have a choice to do more. I wouldnt go into MS or PhD unless you realllllly know what you're getting into. and if you do, then you know that PhD's can last possibly 5,6,7 years! they can fail. It is hard work and you don't always have a solid direction. MS's can take more than 2 years sometimes. If you have the grades/GRE and expereince to get into vet school I think that is your best route. Yes there are other jobs, but it takes just as long to get a degree to do them, or they will be really hard to find. It's super hard to find a good salary with only a BS.

Mar 23, 2010
Status
I would be pursuing a masters degree program if I did not go the vet route, I would definetly not just leave it at my bachelors. I was looking more at the vet program graduate degrees and it appears that are all/mostly for vet students. I was looking at anything with heavy contact with animals, I was looking at animal science departments.

Thanks