Any other geeks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thirdunity

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any other geeks here?

I am a bit geeky. Big sci-fi nut here. I write s/f (on a totally amateur basis) and design game universes. I go to conventions - when I am able to. I am into medicine also in a geeky kind of way (I write a "disease of the week" tabloid style type blog and I'm big into pathology, infectious diseases, anatomy, etc). I collect comics. I write/draw webcomics (although my comic isn't up yet). I also used to work in graphic arts.

The deal is, I am as serious a student as the rest of you here.

I am fairly socially normative however, and look/dress like an ordinary upper middle class person out in the world. I no longer wear a Star Trek communicator pin to work, for example!

The thing is, it seems like most competitive med school applicants seem to have totally mainstream community service type interests, such as Toastmasters (I'm involved in Toastmasters, but not as much; should I get more involved?).

I wonder if there are any other geeks here? I don't think I should try to change my interests just to look like a more competitive med school applicant, but on the other hand, I am wondering "how geeky" is "too geeky". I find even being geeked out about *medicine* makes me a little odd to some people; I'm geekier about medicine than other people in my EMT classes for example.

Members don't see this ad.

thirdunity said:
Any other geeks here?

I am a bit geeky. Big sci-fi nut here. I write s/f (on a totally amateur basis) and design game universes. I go to conventions - when I am able to. I am into medicine also in a geeky kind of way (I write a "disease of the week" tabloid style type blog and I'm big into pathology, infectious diseases, anatomy, etc). I collect comics. I write/draw webcomics (although my comic isn't up yet). I also used to work in graphic arts.

I am fairly socially normative however, and look/dress like an ordinary upper middle class person out in the world. I no longer wear a Star Trek communicator pin to work, for example!

The thing is, it seems like most competitive med school applicants seem to have totally mainstream community service type interests, such as Toastmasters (I'm involved in Toastmasters, but not as much; should I get more involved?).

I wonder if there are any other geeks here? I don't think I should try to change my interests just to look like a more competitive med school applicant, but on the other hand, I am wondering "how geeky" is "too geeky". I find even being geeked out about *medicine* makes me a little odd to some people; I'm geekier about medicine than other people in my EMT classes for example.

Nothing wrong with being a geek, I plan on putting a lan party as an EC on my app :p (maybe, I'm a major staff member so we deal with alot of organizing and thikning on our feet, thought it would be a unique perspective on responsibility)

I'm a big computer geek, I've been working with, on, around, in PC's for only around 7 years now and have learned a TON in such a short amount of time. Also enjoy Sci-Fi and star trek, although I like Star Wars and the Extended Universe much more.

For my christmas my girlfriend bought me a lego star destroyer and I've been trying to put it together since, my 'study' is currently filled with star wars models (lego, snap together, die cast, custom, etc) and some star trek stuff.

You are not alone out there :p

thirdunity said:
I no longer wear a Star Trek communicator pin to work, for example!

:laugh: Is that a joke?

Anyway, we all have our little hobbies--Given good mcat/gpa, I'm sure you're fine as long as you cover the big things like clinical exposure, leadership, social competence, etc. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry, but I think you're on your own with this one. All the rest of us as 24/7 party animals. :laugh:

i would say i am not the typical geek however I know what it feels like to have people look at you and say "YOU CAN'T BE GOING INTO MEDICINE!" I am into weightlifting and bodybuilding so I am a pretty big guy, and it seems that the bigger the muscles, the more stupid the human. for me it really doesn't matter. i have many friends that don't do anything but play video games and watch star trek. Who cares if you aren't "normal." It would be worse to fake who you are and if a med school doesn't pick you because you collect comics, than screw them.

NapeSpikes said:
:laugh: Is that a joke?

Anyway, we all have our little hobbies--Given good mcat/gpa, I'm sure you're fine as long as you cover the big things like clinical exposure, leadership, social competence, etc. Good luck!

Actually, not a joke. But then, I worked for a computer game company, and we were working on a Star Trek themed game.

You will be discriminated against for being a geek. Thats just the way it is. It wont hurt you too much if you do "type A personality" things to show that you can also fit in though.

happydays said:
I'm sorry, but I think you're on your own with this one. All the rest of us as 24/7 party animals. :laugh:

That's right! You know what comes before Part-B? Part-A. God I am a dork. :rolleyes:

thirdunity said:
I write a "disease of the week" tabloid style type blog

Hey I'd like to read your disease of the week blog!

Actually I had my own epic internal struggle of whether or not to list "Anime club" in my activities section for med school apps. I thought "wow, they are proabably going to think that is really childish" or "they might see the value of cultural appreciation, and vested interest in something other than premed-driven activites"

In the end I left it off my med school application. But it did come up once or twice in interviews. I could really defend my time spent with my hobby, and they seemed to like that...

And hey, I got in, so it could not have been that bad!

May the force be with you ;)

Another eternal question that always comes to mind whenever I meet a fellow sci-fi fan:

If you are really into Star Trek, would you prefer to be called a Trekkie or a Trekker?

(I think this might have come up at a med school interview as well, which pretty much solidifies in my mind that I am a total geek)

thirdunity said:
I collect comics. I write/draw webcomics (although my comic isn't up yet). I also used to work in graphic arts.

Collecting comics does not make you a geek. It just makes you a person who can't read stuff without pictures (like me).

I dont know if I would consider myself a geek or not. On one hand, I have been playing hockey and soccer since I was 5, and played on the varsity level in high school.

Then again, I could build a computer in my sleep, and play Counter Strike: Source and World of Warcraft like theres no tomorrow. :oops:

I can also relate to the OP a bit, in terms of academics. I get "geeked out" about medicine or my classes as well. Sometimes, if I come across something interesting in a text book, I may go online and read about it for who knows how long. I also subscribe to Discover magazine and read nearly every article in each monthly issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting question. I'm pretty sure there's a large poplulation of pre-meds, med students and doctors out there who are geeks.

I would say I'm more of a nerd than a geek. I'm kind of lame...but not in the Star Trek way that freaks people out. Being a geek, in my mind, also entails the knowledge of computers and technology. I know how to run a microscope, but that's about it.

tacrum43 said:
Interesting question. I'm pretty sure there's a large poplulation of pre-meds, med students and doctors out there who are geeks.

I would say I'm more of a nerd than a geek. I'm kind of lame...but not in the Star Trek way that freaks people out. Being a geek, in my mind, also entails the knowledge of computers and technology. I know how to run a microscope, but that's about it.

The relationship between nerd and geek is similar to the relationship between rap and hip hop.

Rap is what you do. Hip hop is how you live/dress etc.

Being a nerd is what you do (study etc.). Geek is how you live/dress etc.

Example of geek: http://gorillamask.net/feargirls.shtml

Jack Saltiel said:
I brominate alkanes.

You must get all the (o-chem) chicks.

I am a river guide, because I love it. I know how to have a really good time, and I have also worked as a ski patroller. Always been an outdoorsy type.

That being said, I am also a DM. I grew up playing D&D with my best friends. We are about to have a "reunion tournament." I wear a lot of orange, whenever I can. I love stripey socks, Harry Potter, and I had read all the chronicles of Narnia and LOR trilogy by the time I was 9. My best friend in 4th grade and I used to have competitions to see who could read the most Stephen King books (my parents *loved* that one). I avidly read all of the Oz books by L. Frank Baum. In my DVD collection, the most used ones are the Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Willow and a collection of Robotech. If Voltron were out on video, I'd own it - I have a childhood scar from that show. Yes, I had headgear WIRED in. Yes, I had a mullet in 4th grade - lost that in fifth, thank goodness.
And yes, I am a -sigh- trekkie. But only until the Next Generation. After that I lost interest.

Geeks are sexy and cool. Live it up! :D

hahaha i :love: this thread. like some geeks i'm into fanfiction. My favorite universes include harry potter, some anime titles and currently (although not so much lately) bbm. unfortunately, if i'm going to have some semblence of a socially and academically balanced life in med school, this has got to stop :( . oh well, i don't care anymore, i'd give up a kidney to get into med school.

I guess I could be considered a geek too, my favorite TV show happened to be FIREFLY which happened to be cancelled before it completed its first season.

I could take most any pre-med in Ghost Recon on Xbox live.

thirdunity said:
Any other geeks here?

Hey there is this big gaming convention that takes over the student center at Rice in the beginning of every spring semester...it is nothing but a bunch of geeks playing all kinds of strategy/risk type themed games. These foolios are serious about it too.

I was wondering if you ever attended. I worked at the student center there as an undergrad and it was always funny to watch all of them get super serious about a game with crazy themes.

gostudy said:
The relationship between nerd and geek is similar to the relationship between rap and hip hop.

Rap is what you do. Hip hop is how you live/dress etc.

Being a nerd is what you do (study etc.). Geek is how you live/dress etc.

Example of geek: http://gorillamask.net/feargirls.shtml

You know I always used to argue with one of my best friends about the diff btwn rap and hip hop...and I always told him exactly what you said.

Looks like the score is 2 to 1 in my favor.

nikibean said:
I am a river guide, because I love it. I know how to have a really good time, and I have also worked as a ski patroller. Always been an outdoorsy type.

That being said, I am also a DM. I grew up playing D&D with my best friends. We are about to have a "reunion tournament." I wear a lot of orange, whenever I can. I love stripey socks, Harry Potter, and I had read all the chronicles of Narnia and LOR trilogy by the time I was 9. My best friend in 4th grade and I used to have competitions to see who could read the most Stephen King books (my parents *loved* that one). I avidly read all of the Oz books by L. Frank Baum. In my DVD collection, the most used ones are the Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Willow and a collection of Robotech. If Voltron were out on video, I'd own it - I have a childhood scar from that show. Yes, I had headgear WIRED in. Yes, I had a mullet in 4th grade - lost that in fifth, thank goodness.
And yes, I am a -sigh- trekkie. But only until the Next Generation. After that I lost interest.

Geeks are sexy and cool. Live it up! :D

Nikibean, your geeky enterprises make you sound like my husband's long lost twin! Y'all are even the same age, too weird. I guess I'm a geek by association as back in the day I learned to play D&D so I could hang out with him and his friends and finally gave up my literary snobbery and read a whole bunch of King, LOR and various other sci-fi and fantasy novels.

Anyway I checked your profile and we have some schools in common so maybe we can be geeky together next year. Good :luck: at UCLA!

Anyone else type in Dvorak?

I'm a huge geek...my PC is my baby, I work for IT, I'm a pc gamer (non-hardcore though), I like star trek, and I totally geek out over biology. That said, I'm a non-stereotypical geek in that a) I'm super social and extroverted, b) although I have many friends who role play and go to the cons, I don't personally do either nor do I have any other major geeky tv show loves (firefly, buffy, etc.) nor do I write or read fan fic, c) perhaps the biggest one: I'm a girl, and I think a normal/decently attractive one at that. :)
(it usually throws people way off)

P.S. I was just reading up on Dvorak on wiki yesterday! There's too much controversy about whether it's really worth it for me to spend the time screwing up my touch-typing... I do know someone who has completely switched over to it though, changed all their keyboard keys around and everything.

I'm a geek...I play Magic: The Gathering and I used to love reading dc, marvel, vertigo comics...did anyone else here do MATHCOUNTS or science olympiad etc. etc?

I wish I knew more about computers, it's a much more useful form of geekiness imho.

MATHCOUNTS! I did that in middle school for a year and then did Science Olympiad and Academic Decathlon in high school.

And I'm a crafty bio geek. I've made beaded DNA double-helix earrings and crocheted my own version of a giant microbe (the stuffed microbe toys). I also have a hand-embroidered mitosis tote bag and amino acid planner.

Chinorean said:
I'm a geek...I play Magic: The Gathering and I used to love reading dc, marvel, vertigo comics...did anyone else here do MATHCOUNTS or science olympiad etc. etc?

I wish I knew more about computers, it's a much more useful form of geekiness imho.

Yeah...

Being an anime/videogame geek throughout pre-med has been interesting. None of my pre-med class-mates have interests remotely close to mine, and I hang out with pretty much all computer-science majors. Now that I'm heading to my medical school next fall, I do not anticipate a large number of fellow geeks in my class. However, I do know that they are around, and I believe that no matter who you are, you can find outlets for that kind of thing if you look hard enough.

I was close to putting anime club things on my application too, but stuck to the tried-and-true stuff xD

Geek: yes.

The breakdown:

Computer games: Yes. Used to play 8-16 hours a day before freshman year, when I stopped cold turkey. Haven't been able to play since, except occasionally on holidays, because otherwise I'm too addicted and can't do anything else (I've a very addictive personality). Anything from RPGs like Icewind Dale etc. to MUDs online. I also incidentally happen to be a big computer nerd and can do anything with them. I.e. break into some. *whistles innocently*.

Anime/Comics: No. Neither TV version (I hate TV and never watched any) nor comic book versions (they tend to deal in too many stereotypes for me to enjoy them).

D&D: Yes. Sometimes a DM, in fact. Since university, though? Maybe once a week for a tenth of the year or something. Again, see too much work to do.

Star Trek: No. See "hate TV".

Video games: Yes. But not owning any myself. Because then I might be too addicted. So, no PS2, no XBox for me, no games, nothing. But if I have the time, maybe once a month or two months I spend a few hours with my boyfriend's stuff.

Ooo nice thread. I'm a geek. Pen and paper DnD, computer/online RPGs, sci-fi/fantasy novels, comics and cartoons, the whole trip. I used to want to go into animation -- and in a parellel universe I surely I did -- so I'm all about the graphic media. Graphic novels too of course. Yay for geeks ;) :thumbup:

i liked the enders game series, and sci fi in general. thats about it though.

Halo used to be my game (i could take 3 solid players on at once), but I slowed down my play.

I've beaten Gears of War and Lost Planet; both are pretty sweet games.

Im not surprised there are a lot of geeks in medicine... i wish there were more goths in medicine. hah.

well, I played MUDDs back in junior high... that subsided for a while. But it's coming back in full force over the last few years. I really am not a big fan of stereotypical sci-fi or fantasy, but I love text-based RPG's such as the one I link to in my sig :oops: , and a couple other political and mafia based games.

I also love the game Football Manager. I've been playing for the last 4-5 years on and off. It's a game where you manage and coach a soccer team. It is purely text-based. You just look at stats and numbers, and I just love that crap. I've been known to do unhealthy 20-30 hour marathons in front of my computer playing that game in the past. :oops:

And I hide this stuff like no other also... I once tried to confide in someone about my "problem" and they looked at me like I'm insane... ;)

Oh, and anyone who actually posts on message boards is considered an automatic Geek by the average person... so we all pretty much are.

i wish there were more goths in medicine. hah.

funny, i was just thinking the same thing the other day. well, i grew out of the black nail polish and stuff but black is still my fave (non)color. And, of course, I'm only happy when it rains. :D

And I'm a crafty bio geek. I've made beaded DNA double-helix earrings and crocheted my own version of a giant microbe (the stuffed microbe toys). I also have a hand-embroidered mitosis tote bag and amino acid planner.

Wow, that sounds totally cool! I used to be crafty when I was younger, but have since lost my skills. (I would *LOVE* to have a mitosis tote bag! :) )

Anyway, I am primarily a nerd (I've been in some form of undergrad/grad school since 1993), but have strong geek tendencies. I've been a sci-fi fan since I was an embryo, I think, and love reading books by Asimov, Benford, Baxter, etc. I am really into sci-fi and fantasy video games -- "Skelfie" is the name of one of my recurring video game characters, haha. I'm also really into German-style board games, and my friends and I usually try to get together at least once a month to play. Oh, I met my s.o. during a live action role-playing game... (I've played D&D and other RPGs since high school.)

I was a Star Wars kid, and felt personally insulted by the new Star Wars movies, hahaha. :oops: But, I did really like the Yoda battle in the second new one... I'm not super computer-saavy, though I did build computers with my dad when I was younger.

So, I'm pretty geeky, and I *did* talk about some of my geeky hobbies during my med school interviews, though I didn't include them in my list of ECs. I'm hoping that some of my med school classmates will be fellow geeks, so that we can geek out about medicine together. :D

I geek out over math and physics stuff. I don't know anything about computers really, but I do know a lot about cameras and telescopes.

I also don't play video games or watch anime. I used to be obsessed with PoP, but I moved and never rehooked up the gamecube, so I can't start the latest one (warrior within?).

So, I don't know if I'm really a geek, but my girlfriend says I dress like a 50 year old man and act like a geeky 40 year old, so who knows?

MATHCOUNTS! I did that in middle school for a year and then did Science Olympiad and Academic Decathlon in high school.

wow,
mathcounts and science olympiad was totally my thing back in middle school and high school. definitely a geek here!

my SO, who is an MS2 is also a major geek (star trek, battlestar, stargate, anythingggg sci-fi), so w00t for the l33t geeks.

I'm a geek too :)

The run down:
- Love my PS2 and DS, going to buy PS3 (for the blu-ray and excited for DMC4), the Wii and XBOX360 and I own too many games than I can play
- Loved the original Star Wars movies and episode III. not into star trek though.
- I geek myself out when it comes to classes and Halloween. One year I was a replicating strand of DNA (my legs were the fork: leading and lagging strands)
- I also love Harry Potter and cry whenever I read the parts where the characters die.
- Was very disappointed in the Eragon movie :mad:
- And the list can go on and on...

I think I know why I'm single :(

Topspin82 said:
One year I was a replicating strand of DNA (my legs were the fork: leading and lagging strands)

:laugh: That's genius.

Topspin82 said:
I also love Harry Potter...

Damn right. I can't wait for the Deathly Hallows to come out. I'm getting all jittery just thinking about it.

I didn't know that I was a geek until high school when I got mono and was lended the entire Sword of Truth series by my boyfriend to read and managed to read them all in 2 weeks (only up to book 7 was out at that point in time but I own all of them and have read every one at least twice). When the discovery channel came out with their dragon special a few years back I briefly got excited that there might actually be dragons. (stupid dc getting my hopes up!) I also geek out over physics, chem, bio and anything to do with ancient Egypt. My video gaming habits are totally old school though, I don't like to go beyond supernintendo.

I am not a geek. I am a jock. But I think that Geeks are definitely cool, thanks to Bill Gates. So wear your Star Trek pin proudly. Girls love geeks, the smell of money. Google.