Any other military wives trying for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Remedium85

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been following a lot of the forums and articles on SDN for about a year now, although this is my first time posting. I'll give you my background before asking any questions. I'm 29 years old, I live in Okinawa, Japan right now, my husband is Army Special Forces (Green Beret), and I'm finishing up my bachelor's in global health. I have half of my pre-reqs done for med school, but will have to wait until I get back to the states this fall to finish them. Being a military wife and pursuing medical school definitely has its own hurdles. Are there any other military wives pursuing med school? Or anyone married to someone in Spec Ops?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a military wife too and I am stateside. My husband is not special ops but works in a special ops GSB. I'll be taking the MCAT this summer in order to apply next year. I have to retake some of my prereqs because they were completed abroad.

Reactions: 1 users
Married to special ops (SF) now retired, done with med school/residency. IS your husband planning on getting out? how are you going to wing this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wishing you the best my spouse just retired and I will be applying and understand

Also a military wife (Navy). My husband just accepted a special duty so that we can be in an optimal location for me to finish my bachelors degree and apply to med school with two children in tow. He will retire out in this next command which is perfect timing. He also gave me his GI bill to use (how awesome). Good luck everyone!

Married to special ops (SF) now retired, done with med school/residency. IS your husband planning on getting out? how are you going to wing this?
Nope, he's not getting out. If you're husband is retired SF then you know they do not get stationed at nearly the amount of posts as regular Army...it's either NC or Washington which makes it a little easier. And right now it's looking like NC. Also, I have no children nor do I ever plan on having any so that makes things less complicated.

Good luck everyone! Although the military spouse thing tends to hold up progress sometimes, I also think it's a unique stand point when applying to school.

Hey how is this going for you guys? I'm new to this forum. My husband isn't close to retiring yet, and I'm homeschooling our kids. I was thinking about what I want to do after our kids graduate, and no matter what direction I go, it's going to involve some more school. So, why not med school? ;) In all seriousness, my reasons are more complex than that, but that's the short version. My plan is to take pre-med classes along the way as we move around. I don't expect us to be in one place more than two years for the foreseeable future. I have a back burner photography business that I've put on hold since beginning homeschooling, and it's my funding plan. I think I'll do wedding photography. I prefer to save the G.I. Bill for our kids. This journey will be long for me... maybe I'm here too soon. :ninja: but I can't pull myself away. I am so excited to have some long term "me goals" instead of just floating along.

Hey how is this going for you guys? I'm new to this forum. My husband isn't close to retiring yet, and I'm homeschooling our kids. I was thinking about what I want to do after our kids graduate, and no matter what direction I go, it's going to involve some more school. So, why not med school? ;) In all seriousness, my reasons are more complex than that, but that's the short version. My plan is to take pre-med classes along the way as we move around. I don't expect us to be in one place more than two years for the foreseeable future. I have a back burner photography business that I've put on hold since beginning homeschooling, and it's my funding plan. I think I'll do wedding photography. I prefer to save the G.I. Bill for our kids. This journey will be long for me... maybe I'm here too soon. :ninja: but I can't pull myself away. I am so excited to have some long term "me goals" instead of just floating along.

You managed not to give us a single good reason to think why you would be interested in medicine as a career, or why you would be good for medicine, but that's OK, that just means you can't get any real feedback, which wasn't what this thread was about anyway I guess. Doing so would be the only way to avoid my one size fits all advice, which is to find a better "me goal" - because floating around is better than flailing around in hellfire, which is better than going to medical school if it all goes wrong, which it always can. I tell people to avoid medical school unless it is a calling they are willing to die for - because hey, you just might. I hope for your sake you can pull yourself away. If you do like your own pain that much and you're willing to put your family second, then I say more power to you!

But hey, I think it's great for everyone to get more science and health literacy, so enjoy those undergrad science courses! I hope you do well!

Welcome to SDN. ;)

You managed not to give us a single good reason to think why you would be interested in medicine as a career, or why you would be good for medicine, but that's OK, that just means you can't get any real feedback, which wasn't what this thread was about anyway I guess. Doing so would be the only way to avoid my one size fits all advice, which is to find a better "me goal" - because floating around is better than flailing around in hellfire, which is better than going to medical school if it all goes wrong, which it always can. I tell people to avoid medical school unless it is a calling they are willing to die for - because hey, you just might. I hope for your sake you can pull yourself away. If you do like your own pain that much and you're willing to put your family second, then I say more power to you!

But hey, I think it's great for everyone to get more science and health literacy, so enjoy those undergrad science courses! I hope you do well!

Welcome to SDN. ;)

If I needed validation for my reasons to consider pursuing medicine, I would certainly post them here to see what everyone thinks. But.. I don't, and you're right that this discussion isn't quite about that. I appreciate that you'd be willing to go the extra mile and talk me through my motivations, though? If that's what you did there.

I'm more checking up on these mil spouses to see how they are doing and how they've been juggling their own aspirations with the military lifestyle. :thumbup: