Any other NCAA athletes here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DI Basketball Player here (as you can see from the avatar)

Members don't see this ad.

TomWestmanRules said:
Who else plays/played hardcore sports in college? We're talking 30 or more hours a week for training and competitions, on average. Waking up by 6am for practices. Missing entire weekends of partying and homework for sports team competitions many hours away. And still managing to keep our shiit together.

Who else here is in the same boat? I'd like to think there are lots of other athletes here. You don't need to be an All-American or anything, but definitely something besides a benchwarmer for your intramural soccer team that got trashed before every game.

Any NCAAers besides me? :cool:
waahhhh!! thirty hours a week for sports waahhhhh!!! Did you get tutors free of charge? Were you receiving any kind of scholarship/grant package for being an athlete? GUess what its a job and most undergrads have them, up at six waahhhh!! missing parties boo hoo!! boo hoo!!

beefballs said:
waahhhh!! thirty hours a week for sports waahhhhh!!! Did you get tutors free of charge? Were you receiving any kind of scholarship/grant package for being an athlete? GUess what its a job and most undergrads have them, up at six waahhhh!! missing parties boo hoo!! boo hoo!!

D1 baseball.

Don't use tutors, I do it on my own. Walk-on, so it's like working manual labor 40+ hrs a week and having to pay $ to do it. The fun part is during the first part of the season only being in town for 3 of the 7 days a week for 2 months

It's exhausting during the season. If you are serious about school and playing you have no life. I'd leave my house at 8am and get home at 11pm on many occassions this spring, when I was not on the road of course.

On the road is just as tough. There were 4 weekends this spring where we were on the road and the monday morning we got back, usually around midnight, I had either a genetics or ochem test. Studying on the road is tough. It's hard to have time to study when it takes about 8-9 hrs total for everything you must do in for one game. If you want to study on the road you wake up, eat, study, go to the game, study, sleep. I wouldn't trade it for anything, but it's not a life of luxery by any means

Members don't see this ad :)
beefballs said:

stop trying to start something. just a few things to remember though. most small schools (mine included) don't provide tutors for athletes. DIII schools don't even give out scholarships. those people continue playing because they love the sport. some athletes (such as myself) have jobs on top of playing the sport. unless a student's outside job is construction work, i doubt it leaves them as exhausted as playing a sport. don't be a hater just because you are jealous. :D

anyway, good luck athletes. its great to see others out there. my school only has 1 other premed athlete and she is taking a year off. my team is full of education majors, so usually i am stuck being the team tutor for most hard subjects. hope all your seasons go well!!!! and thanks to all you trainers out there. i probably have spent more time in there than i have on the court. you guys are awesome!!!

spospo said:
stop trying to start something. just a few things to remember though. most small schools (mine included) don't provide tutors for athletes. DIII schools don't even give out scholarships. those people continue playing because they love the sport. some athletes (such as myself) have jobs on top of playing the sport. unless a student's outside job is construction work, i doubt it leaves them as exhausted as playing a sport. don't be a hater just because you are jealous. :D

anyway, good luck athletes. its great to see others out there. my school only has 1 other premed athlete and she is taking a year off. my team is full of education majors, so usually i am stuck being the team tutor for most hard subjects. hope all your seasons go well!!!! and thanks to all you trainers out there. i probably have spent more time in there than i have on the court. you guys are awesome!!!
I went to a huge D1 school and watched scholar athletes get babied & hooked up academically with all the help a person could need, so maybe I am alittle bitter after four years in the Marines for the GI bill and waiting tables my four years of ugrad. I don't have a lot of sympathy for someone who wants to throw a pity party about how hard their life is because they have to (gasp) go to school and play a sport.

everybody has a sob story about how hard they worked-sorry if I am not awed by someone who balances school and sports- It seems it is a choice they make gladly, so don't cry about how difficult it is-see my point?

yes, i see your point, but you don't have to come in here and start talking crap. almost everyone has had difficulty during school/has had to balance a whole bunch of crap. we all have our place here. we are here to help eachother not tear eachother down. athlete premeds are few and far between. just let us have a place to talk about our similar experiences without the ridicule. thanks.

beefballs said:
I went to a huge D1 school and watched scholar athletes get babied & hooked up academically with all the help a person could need, so maybe I am alittle bitter after four years in the Marines for the GI bill and waiting tables my four years of ugrad. I don't have a lot of sympathy for someone who wants to throw a pity party about how hard their life is because they have to (gasp) go to school and play a sport.

everybody has a sob story about how hard they worked-sorry if I am not awed by someone who balances school and sports- It seems it is a choice they make gladly, so don't cry about how difficult it is-see my point?

You need to quit your bitching just because you suck as an athlete. I swam D1, and also worked ~20/week as a waitress with a full course load and independent research on the side. No scholorships, no tutors, and I'm paying for college with lots of loans.

spospo said:
yes, i see your point, but you don't have to come in here and start talking crap. almost everyone has had difficulty during school/has had to balance a whole bunch of crap. we all have our place here. we are here to help eachother not tear eachother down. athlete premeds are few and far between. just let us have a place to talk about our similar experiences without the ridicule. thanks.
I didn't ridicule student athletes (what are they the new persecuted few) I responded to an indivual person- If my response doesn't apply to you, you have no reason to be offended. thanks

boy some student-athletes have mighty thin skin

this is a question for all athletes who have already applied and for those applying this cycle. have you already talked to your coach about missing practices/games? for those of you who have, how did that go over? for those of you who haven't, how are you going to approach it? anyone with any thoughts?

MikeyD, i am REALLY curious where you went to school, lol! As a huge NCAA Bball fan I bet I would know who you are considering your team made the tourney, you live in PA(likely BE or A10, but im guessing ivy(bcuz of your list of schools.) You can PM me if you want :D . GO UCONN!!

Beef, I think you underestimate what it takes to be a student athlete. I work full time to pay for school, and I know my friend whos on the bball team definitely had a harder time then i do.

Well I guess I don't have to worry about telling my coach now that I'm hurt, but I let him know way in advance that I would need some room for academic stuff occasionally. He was very willing to be flexible, of course this is track and we basically practice whenever the coach feels like, no rigid schedules.

spospo said:
this is a question for all athletes who have already applied and for those applying this cycle. have you already talked to your coach about missing practices/games? for those of you who have, how did that go over? for those of you who haven't, how are you going to approach it? anyone with any thoughts?

That's a tough question...I am taking two years off after school to work, reserach, and apply, so I don't have to worry about missing games, etc. But my feeling always was that you have to make a commitment to the team, whatever sport you're playing and at whatever level. It was your choice to play, and now others are depending on you. That being said, it would be tough if an interview was the same day as a game. I would talk to your coach as early as possible and explain the situation, and then keep your fingers crossed that conflicts don't occur. You can also take your chances with the adcom, trying to move dates so they're isn't a conflict. Hopefully they would appreciate your dedication to your school and team.

I'm sure you all will appreciate this, its SO nice to find other people that are premed athletes, I'm the only one from my year that is trying to go directly to medschool.

I blew out my ACL in a game (softball) the weekend before taking the MCATs, so in addition to studying while keeping a full load of classes and practices, I then took the MCAT in extreme amounts of pain (didnt think painkillers would help me that much with the whole thinking thing).

Oh, and in response to those who think that we are complaining. I'd like to see you do it. I don't have a scholarship, I don't get any help, and my teachers don't cut me any breaks. We all work extremely hard and are incredibly dedicated to the things that we want to do. I would never give up sports...no matter what

:)

DIII runner (Cross country, indoor/outdoor track). All I can say is I hope that the adcoms realize how hard it is to train all year, travel nearly every week, and schedule classes and labs around practice. i even took my first gen chem test on an airplane on the way to pre-nationals. i'm pretty sure not too many pre-meds can put that on their application.

I'm not gonna say I'm hot stuff or anything at soccer, I played DIII but whatever, I did it because I like it. I just think it says something good for an athlete who goes pre-med and can pass classes, because most of the time the team they are on is not an academically oriented group, even at a DIII school, let alone a DI school. Seriously, look at the other majors on the team, and even then they are barely passing classes most of the time.
Its a real conflict of cultures, I'd argue as challenging as any. Thoughts are welcome, but soccer players are not traditionally a smart bunch sad to say... ( no offense... they drink well)