1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

any other non-trad go through savings to pay for post bacc?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by jsp132, Jul 24, 2011.

1. jsp132

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I pretty much would have to use up all my savings to pay for post bacc classes, makes me nervous not having a cushion in case anything happens.

Better then taking out loans though? or just keep saving for the safety cushion? :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrArete

Removed

If you can get a good enough interest rate, take out loans. At the very least you should take out the maximum in Federal Stafford loans. That's 12.5K, and you can pay it back over a long time.

4. MedWonk

MedWonk 高飛車
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I haven't gotten there yet, but my stafford loans will only get me through one year. I'll have to dig into my savings to pay for the other year. I figure it'll kill half my savings, and another quarter to go through the application process.

5. NightGod

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You realize you can take out more Stafford loans every year, right? Or are you actually at the lifetime max? If so, how are you planning to pay for med school?

6. theseeker4

theseeker4 PGY 3
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There is a particular max you can take out for post-bach classes that are intended to gain admission to a graduate program. This lifetime max is 12,500 I believe. Obviously, additional money is available for medical school.

7. LMac

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My advisor told me today that many post-bacc students apply as "degree seeking" although they don't intend to get a degree, just the pre-med requirements and possibly try to bump up their GPA. By being in undergraduate "degree seeking" status, even as a second undergraduate degree, you are eligible for the same Stafford loans as traditional undergrad students.

8. jsp132

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    i'm almost maxed out at the 57k borrowing limit

that's why i'm asking this question,

just taking two courses at the university is costing me about 483 a credit not including cost of books, definately soo much more costlier then when I went to cc

so that's why I may have to resort to higher apr private loans :(

9. MedWonk

MedWonk 高飛車
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Not at Harvard Extension. The financial aid award letter explicitly states you qualify for Stafford Loans for up to 12 consecutive months (three consecutive terms, which would be summer, fall, spring, or some variation on that).

10. PTWOB02

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I'm not too familiar with Harvard Extension, do they offer you a Certificate program? As a certificate student, you are not eligible for grant money through the school. You may be eligible for scholarships, though you will have to make sure that the scholarships you apply for do not require you to be a degree-seeking student. Grant money is financial need-based aid, whereas scholarships are merit-based.