Any other non-trads "starting from scratch"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bookmaven

Dead is too old.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to go back an take almost all the science pre-req's except bio, and even that was 14 years ago, so it wouldn't hurt to take again since there have been advances in the field that have probably changed things since I studied them, even if I could remember it all!

Just wondering where you are in the process. I have just applied at a post bac (2nd degree) program. I have about 15 classes to take before I am even ready to take the MCAT.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a little farther away than you are. I'm starting college from scratch. As soon as I get things lined out with my business, I'll be on my way to med school. I got some great advice in another thread in this board, there are lots of great tips and tipsters here!

I'm working on my degree.

I pulled out of school after my freshman year and about a year and a half ago, I started back part time. Now I'm a full time student.

You're farther along than I am. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to finish my PhD (music history) before I can start my postbacc! My plan is to make enough progress on my dissertation in the remainder of 2006 and the first few months of 2007 so that I can start the postbacc in Fall 07 while putting the finishing touches on the diss.

Haven't had a math course since high school, and none of the prereqs in college...it's gonna be a loooong road!

Good luck to all. :)

I did poorly in science in undergrad (didn't know how to study since I didn't have to in high school, and was generally unprepared in the maths and sciences). So, I'm a little gun-shy and have the assumption that I wouldn't do well. I have to take 9 pre-med courses to apply to med school. I work a 70-hour/week job but don't want to leave it since I'm single with a mortgage. To take two courses a semester (getting home around midnight four nihts a week) I'm not sure I can get As (or that I could even if I took 3 months off work to do 4-5 science courses in one semester). I was wondering how you were doing it based on your backgrounds? I dont' want to give up my job if med schools won't accept me because of the undergrad grades so I've lost a job and my chance at med school (after doing all of the work). What percentage of non-trads never get accepted to a medical school and does anyone know the general trends in the states (reason for no admission, basic "flaws" like age or GPA or some other factor?

I'm currently enrolled in a post-bac program because my pre-reqs are over 20 years old. I felt I had no choice but to retake chem, bio, etc., because things have changed considerably over the past 20 years! Besides, taking the classes will only help towards studying for the MCAT.

I will be starting a formal post-bacc program in the spring (if I am admitted). So I'm starting at the very beginning. It will be sooo nice to be a full-time student again.:D

i'm pretty much in the same hole - all my pre reqs for optometry are at least 10 years old. so i'm doing them over while working 40hrs a week (aka working stiff) and studying to do my oat next year. ideally, i get into a post bacc in 2007 and apply for optom entering 2008. being a full time student will be a relief, though a poor relief.:scared:

I'm 26 years old and starting from scratch. This is my second semester. It has been an ordeal, but we will get through it. The hardest thing for me is working fulltime, going to school fulltime, and being a fulltime single mom. I can't remember the last time I had a good night sleep.

I have a nursing background. Graduated 1999 w/ my BSN, worked 6 yrs as a registered nurse and then went back to school in '04 for my MSN. I currently work FT as an OB/GYN Nurse practitioner. I'm married and have 2 sons.

I want to go to med school (something I've always wanted but never pursued). Honestly, I don't even know where to begin. I'm reading all these threads and they're really encouraging. Thank God for this Web site.
Good luck!

I dropped out of college my freshman year oh, over 10 years ago.

I finally can say I'm a sophmore (yay!) but it sucks to be working on my undergraduate degree when I'm 30 years old. Luckilly, I look fairly young, so my classmates have no idea. Hopefully my youthful looks will stick through the med school application process - I figure they can only help the non-trad 'fit in' with the rest of the pack when doing interviews.

Going back to school full-time was the best decision I've ever made.

I have posted my story before, so I will be brief. I had to start from scratch while working and as a father of 2. I completed all the classes and took the MCAT. I also did a masters in Physiology. I am currently an M1 (first year medical student. I am 33 now so it has been a long road but worth it. So it can be done but you can't let thoughts of doubt distract you. Someone once explained to me that the process is like having a 15 foot pile of sand on one side of the road and you have to move to the other side, but all you can use is a spoon. One scoop at a time, just concentrate on the spoon and not the pile. Good luck!! You can do it.

Starting from scratch is the best way to go. You have a clean slate. Why not work your ass off for a couple of years and apply with a 4.0 BCPM GPA?

I envy nontrads starting from scratch. No stigma of college mistakes when you were 18 years old. And most 18 year olds in the "real world" make college mistakes.

I only knew I wanted to be a doctor after being a ****up - years of screwing up in school and not holding down most jobs. At *30* (yes, THIRTY) I realized "hey, I want to be a doctor" and stopped being a ****up.

I wish I hadn't had a day of school in my life prior to now. In this sense, a person going to school with no school history and a solid work history has the advantage over someone who tried a lot of different things and had a lot of different life experiences.

I am in the same boat as many of you. I am 40 and 2 years away from matriculating. My GPA is good,3.7, and I have plenty of clinical experience, having worked 13 years as a paramedic. The big blemish(es) on my application will be the many,many,many W's I have. The first ones will be 25 years old when i apply and the most recent ones will be 7 years. The first set were because I was 18 and,well, stupid. All the later ones were due to my daughters several surgeries at Shriners Hospital. I have never has anything lower than a B and hopefully won't when all is said and done. I will tackle the MCAT next year. My GPA is ~3.85 the last 75+ credits. I have also worked 65+ hours my entire bachelor's. It has been a long road, but it is about to pay off. Reading the other posts, how can you start from scratch? Aren't you expected to submit all transcripts? Anyhow, good luck on all of your endeavors.

Rob

Greetings, all. Like a lot of others here, I'm basically starting from scratch. For me I'll start back next semester to take all of my pre-req's. From my ancient college transcript, I have a GPA of 2.8 and a BCPM of 2.83 but I should be able to bring that up to 3.0 and 3.5 (not as many science courses taken to weight it down) and I hope to get a killer score on the MCAT (have always scored in the top few percentiles on standardized tests).

I'm 29. Personally, I feel that this is kind of the best time to apply to med schools because what few brain cells we have lost at this age, we will more than make up for with more efficient time management and study habits.

Even well into the 40s, I'd still put my money on the non-trad. Good luck to all of you, everyone keep us updated. I look forward to updating everyone with my own progress.

+pity+ Don't let them pity us, simply take them to the mat!