Any other pilots here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dienekes

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there were any other premeds on SDN who have their PPL (or their commercial or ATP)? If so, is anyone else planning on flying themselves to interviews or to just visit schools? This is what I plan to do...at least for those schools that are not completely on the other side of the US.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Man I wish I could do that when I had an interview. That would be really awesome. I have about 40 or so hours of flight time under my belt but I never finished pursuing my PPL. I only need about 10 hours more so I think I might go ahead and finish it once I get some extra cash. What are you going to be flying to your interviews, and are you renting the plane?

I have a little over 10,000 hours. I'll trade you a few thousand, for a few tenth's of your GPA.;)

I think I'm doing this backwards - Doctors become pilots, not the other way around, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you going to be flying to your interviews, and are you renting the plane?

Most likely the Piper Dakota that belongs to the flying club here locally. I am actually going to have my commercial license by the time I actually apply (not this cycle obviously) so I keep joking about organizing small groups of premeds to go on tours of medical schools that are not within reasonable driving distance. Also I plan on posting when I have interviews to see if there is anyone along the way who needs picked up for their interview so I have people to split the cost of rental and fuel with.

I have a little over 10,000 hours. I'll trade you a few thousand, for a few tenth's of your GPA.;)

I think I'm doing this backwards - Doctors become pilots, not the other way around, right?
10,000 hours? How old are you? :laugh:

Man I wish I could do that when I had an interview. That would be really awesome. I have about 40 or so hours of flight time under my belt but I never finished pursuing my PPL. I only need about 10 hours more so I think I might go ahead and finish it once I get some extra cash. What are you going to be flying to your interviews, and are you renting the plane?

Same situation, it's been far too long, but I really don't have the money to start up again. Not right now at least...

Do RC planes count? I used to be pretty good with the thumbs before i moved to chicago.

Do you need a special license to do stunts like snap rolls or intentional stalls?

Greetings, pilot here former C150 owner.
Same situation as you AirBaker - but I guess I kinda always went against the grain.

Do you need a special license to do stunts like snap rolls or intentional stalls?
No, but there is special training and it's not exactly smart to do them in an aircraft not designed for aerobatics. Also being nuts helps.

Watch out for those Beechcraft Bonanzas, SDNers.

I'm sure you know this, but google "forked tail doctor killer."
As someone who researches aviation safety, I think I am well positioned to point out that the reason the Beech V-tail Bonanza earned that had more to do with who was flying it than anything inherently wrong with the aircraft itself. You put a cocky person (and admit it...most docs are at least a little cocky) with little flying experience into a high performance aircraft with touchy controls and bad things will happen. It is akin to putting a 16 year old cheerleader into a Ford Mustang convertible a few days after she completes driver's ed and gets her license.

The same problem exists today with the Cirrus line of aircraft, although the tendency of the Cirrus to disintegrate on impact and burn completely (even more than most aircraft) also contributes to the fatality rate with it. The marketing practices of Cirrus also tends to exacerbate things as they encourage their aircraft as a good training aircraft and paint it to be safer than other aircraft because of the parachute the aircraft is equipped with. The only problem is that the parachute is of little use in the circumstances under which most crashes occur.

Love the old V Tails, just make sure you have the tail mod done.

why? i like bonanzas, a solid choice for oshkosh. :)
I would love to be going to AirVenture this year, but I don't have the money and I don't have a ride.