Any other premeds have pups?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoshUNCW

Comp Sci Geek
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I know this isn't the most intellectual thread. But how many of you guys have pups out there?

xghd04.jpg

I only bring it up because my girl keeps me sane. I have a lot of stress in my life, more than the normal premed. But everytime my little girl wakes me up with a nice kiss (and I don't mean my girlfriend ;)), I'm happy. Any other premeds have a dog in their life :p?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No, but I want one really bad. I'm not sure when a good time to get one would be. Not med school and certainly not residency.

Dogs require alot of love and attention. It will be tough on your dog during third year and much worse during residency. In my opinion, it is not fair to the dog, unless you have a spouse or significant other who will take care of it when you are gone all of the time. You need to consider the dog, not just yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, you and your dog look like each other. The resemblance is quite striking, especially through the eyes.

My god, he does look like his dogs.

I have two Maltese dogs. They are 3 years old. One is in my avatar. The other looks similar. I love my puppy dogs.

I have a pointer... sweet dog though I would say he's just about out of that puppy stage at 22 months old. I only wish I had his muscle tone... I would jump cars all day.

sweet dog though I would say he's just about out of that puppy stage at 22 months old.

Yeah... noooooooooooooo.....

I agree that animals are soooo relieving of stress :D However, I think it would be really difficult to raise and train a puppy during the rigors of med school... lots of vet students struggle with it and you'd think we'd have it down, yeah? Also, that pup looks like a bit like an active breed... I hope your a runner :)

(Gorgeous, gorgeous pup though:))

Yeah... noooooooooooooo.....

I agree that animals are soooo relieving of stress :D However, I think it would be really difficult to raise and train a puppy during the rigors of med school... lots of vet students struggle with it and you'd think we'd have it down, yeah? Also, that pup looks like a bit like an active breed... I hope your a runner :)

(Gorgeous, gorgeous pup though:))

4.5 miles of running 4 days a week (he goes off leash in the forest)... the rest of the days are with the ChuckIt at the park. Yup, active and insane with the rope and ball, but he knows when to take a break too. Life would be dull without him... I'd have to go back to fish (for now my 300 gallons of glory are stored away... the 75 gallon may come back out though since its a size I think I could manage.)

I have two doggies, a 4 year old Yorkie (Porkchop) and a 1-year old Shih-poo (Daisy). Fortunately, I have a husband who can take care of them when I am in med school, and they have each other. But, there is nothing quite like having a little furry one to greet you with excitement every time you come home or give you unconditional love.

Puppies make me happy...they're like my personal pet therapy! :D

I have a 10 year old Border collie, 2 year old German Shepherd, and a 6 month old kitten who thinks he's a dog. Oh and then my fiance has a 1 year old Basset and plans on getting a hunting lab pup right after we get married.

I spent 2 years during UG living in the dorms without a dog, and I hated it. When ever my dad came to visit, I made him bring my Border collie.

Dogs require alot of love and attention. It will be tough on your dog during third year and much worse during residency. In my opinion, it is not fair to the dog, unless you have a spouse or significant other who will take care of it when you are gone all of the time. You need to consider the dog, not just yourself.

What do you tell people who have kids?

What do you tell people who have kids?

I tell them the same thing. Make sure that you have a partner who is available to provide the kids with love and attention when you are gone all of the time. Kids need this even more than dogs.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, you and your dog look like each other. The resemblance is quite striking, especially through the eyes.

I thought the exact same thing as soon as I saw the picture! Beautiful eyes though. :)

Cats give lots of love and don't require you to come home and let them out potty.

Meow!

Thread is useless without more pics of people's dogs! (not actually mine but my family's)

Playing in yard

img2411r.th.jpg

Enjoying the grease dripping off of the grill!

img2009y.th.jpg

Enjoying the grease dripping off of the grill!

img2009y.th.jpg

hahah my dog used to do that while the grill was on and the grease would drop onto her head and she'd have greasy spots all over. pretty funny.

I have two dogs. A 3 year old australian shepherd and a 6 month old boxer. They are my pals!

I would love a dog but my parents would never allow it...so I compromised and now I'm a foster family--we are now training a labradoodle to become a guide dog :)

I have a beautiful boy American Eskimo! He's so sweet and handsome!

hahah my dog used to do that while the grill was on and the grease would drop onto her head and she'd have greasy spots all over. pretty funny.

Yeah that happens too, we call her our "Indian Pup" when she gets a big spot on her forehead

Pretty sure it's a beagle. :)
Half there! She's actually a beagle/dachshund mix. She looks pretty beagle-y but she's a little longer than normal.

And yeah, med school/residency is a busy time. But my girlfriend helps me a lot. Plus, I can study at the dog park lol.

I have a 6 yo miniature dachshund. I know exactly what you mean--even if they cause minor stress from time to time (mine destroys things every now and then), dogs make you happier a lot more than they bring you down. It may be hard giving them enough attention down the line, but we'll just have to do the best we can. Giving them away is not an option (for me anyway; I assume for most people, too). I lived three years of college without my dog and it was awful! I wouldn't do it again for the world.

Exactly, for a lot of dog owners, giving up your dog isn't a real option. That'd be like giving up any other member of your family haha, you just don't do it. And yeah, the stress relief dogs give farr outweighs the stress of them destroying things :smuggrin:

Half there! She's actually a beagle/dachshund mix. She looks pretty beagle-y but she's a little longer than normal.

Ahh, that makes sense. I was wondering why she had those 2 brown spots over her eyes. Very daschund-like.

I have 2, but I live with a SO who can take care of them when I'm not home.
I'd never do it if I lived alone, not fair for the dog. If you must, go with with a lap dog that won't go crazy living without a yard or if you skip the 1-mile walk (something like a Shih-Tzu or such). Only bored/not exercising dogs misbehave.

While I currently live at home my parents own a big ol' black lab.:) He's the sweetest little demon you could ever want. :D

I have 2, but I live with a SO who can take care of them when I'm not home.
I'd never do it if I lived alone, not fair for the dog. If you must, go with with a lap dog that won't go crazy living without a yard or if you skip the 1-mile walk (something like a Shih-Tzu or such). Only bored/not exercising dogs misbehave.

Well I think all dogs need mental/physical stimulation in new surroundings (lap dog or not) and it bugs me when people think their little dogs can just sit at home or in the yard all day.... I know that's not at all what you're telling people to do, your comment just made me think of that since I know tons of people who own Shih-Tzus and other small breeds and never even let them leave the house. :confused: But yeah, lower-energy dogs are a must for busy people! It's nice to take them on long daily walks and then not have to worry about coming home to a mess.

Here is one of my dogs. :love:

Attachments

• abu.jpg
    abu.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Me and my g/f got our pup last semester. It's been fun.

13045_180876456769_500706769_3435467_3063446_n.jpg

I want a dog so badly! But I'm starting med school this fall - not good timing. Guess I'll have to find a SO first to stay home and take care of the dog... Priorities out of line?? - maybe a little!

Exactly, for a lot of dog owners, giving up your dog isn't a real option. That'd be like giving up any other member of your family haha, you just don't do it. And yeah, the stress relief dogs give farr outweighs the stress of them destroying things :smuggrin:

Well don't forget that YOU need a walk too. I don't think its humane to coop up a human inside all day staring at a book. Your dog will need to take you outside for a walk daily too, just for stress relief/to stretch your legs.

this thread makes me hope even more that i get into a school near my boyfriend so we can move in together and get a dog. The dog would be a big selling point to get me to move in with him (not that I don't want to live with him but he's a messy boy who hasn't cleaned his own bathroom in months. so yea. maybe if i focus on a pup I won't focus on things like how he think his beer bottle collection counts as decor:rolleyes:)

Well don't forget that YOU need a walk too. I don't think its humane to coop up a human inside all day staring at a book. Your dog will need to take you outside for a walk daily too, just for stress relief/to stretch your legs.

i think every med student I've talked to talks about how they work out daily to combat stress. Seems like having a dog to walk/run would save you time on the elliptical.:idea:

i think every med student I've talked to talks about how they work out daily to combat stress. Seems like having a dog to walk/run would save you time on the elliptical.:idea:

Unless you have a bulldog. If they run too much, they can overheat and go into respiratory distress. :( Super cute dogs though.

Example: Meaty and Beefy!

beefy3.jpg

Me and my g/f got our pup last semester. It's been fun.

13045_180876456769_500706769_3435467_3063446_n.jpg

Your dog looks alot like my cat. Although, to give my cat proper respect, my cat probably is alot tougher than your dog. I have a really tough cat. Nobody messes with my cat, including me. If I look sideways at her, she gives me crap. I am dominated by my cat. And I am a pretty tough guy. But I am humbled by this feline female.

I agree, he's kinda like a furry 3 year old. :)

I'll definitely have to remember them once I get to the point when it would be responsible to own a dog, watched some videos on youtube, what an awesome breed.

ugh this thread makes me feel lonely, I miss my dog!

I have a 6 yo miniature dachshund. I know exactly what you mean--even if they cause minor stress from time to time (mine destroys things every now and then), dogs make you happier a lot more than they bring you down.
:thumbup:

I have a 2 year old miniature dachshund (see avatar) who has been an amazing buddy during the application process... she always made me happy when something frustrating happened. Also my husband has a pit bull he rescued before we met.