Any other puckheads here ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lmaoooo this is by far the best post I've read on this forum, and it's a forum for doctors and aspiring doctors!! haha brilliant.

Really? That's not even HIS best post he's ever put up.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I have no idea why Vegas does not have at least 2 pro-level sports teams. Factors that make me think they would be financially succesful:

1. Vegas is a 'destination town' for so many, and its cheap as hell. Doug from Vancouver comes to Vegas for a weekend... gets cheap hotel, plays roulette, watches a show... catches a 'Nucks game as well because they're in-town.

2. Sports books/betting is already all over the place. Give LV a home team, and watch business explode in the sports pubs as well.

3. Might help diversify the economy.

4. Instant rivalry with the So-Cal teams.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hittin' up the TBL/NSH game tonight. Next time I go to a game (I can sometimes get seats 2-3 rows back from the glass), I wanna hold up a "SDN" sign for all my homies on here.

Question for the forum: "Is Shawn Thornton the biggest dickhead ever for appealing his suspension, or is he just testing the new disciplinary process?"

Hittin' up the TBL/NSH game tonight. Next time I go to a game (I can sometimes get seats 2-3 rows back from the glass), I wanna hold up a "SDN" sign for all my homies on here.

Question for the forum: "Is Shawn Thornton the biggest dickhead ever for appealing his suspension, or is he just testing the new disciplinary process?"

I think he is testing the process, but, at the same time, is the biggest dickhead ever for doing so. I mean, he punched Orpik while his head was on the ice! Twice!

I think he is testing the process, but, at the same time, is the biggest dickhead ever for doing so. I mean, he punched Orpik while his head was on the ice! Twice!

So, your answer is "both".

Strong work. I agree. Others? SDN sign bandwagon?

Sooo I watched my first hockey game in over a decade last night :Rangers v Penguins.. Exciting stuff and glad to see the Penguins win. But I realized that I have no real idea what's going on. Since football will come to an end soon, I need another winterr sport. Forget bball. ...Anyway anyone knoww of a goof primer on hockey?

Sooo I watched my first hockey game in over a decade last night :Rangers v Penguins.. Exciting stuff and glad to see the Penguins win. But I realized that I have no real idea what's going on. Since football will come to an end soon, I need another winterr sport. Forget bball. ...Anyway anyone knoww of a goof primer on hockey?

I think I could explain hockey to a noob a LOT easier than I could football. Hockey combines ideas from basketball and soccer, but also has it's own. I mean, object is puck into opposite net, and keep it out of your own. Teams weighted towards the attack. Dedicated goalkeeper. Various penalties to keep order; no tripping, using the stick to injure or impede, no fighting, not actively attempting to injure another player. That's about it. One almost unique factor is that fighting, although penalized, is allowed, and only in lacrosse is it an accepted part of the game. Still, outside of men's professional leagues in North America, you won't find fighting (or not much). It is expressly forbidden in NCAA, women's, and Olympic hockey. However, the KHL in Russia loosened up fighting rules in 2011; in 2010, there was a game with 840 penalty minutes, with 421 minutes for one team, and 419 for the other. The NHL record for penalty minutes in one game is 419 - for both teams.

I don't know of another primer. I think just watching will give you a lot of what you need, and, when other things come up, like "offsides", if you don't get it, the internet has voluminous resources.

I think I could explain hockey to a noob a LOT easier than I could football. Hockey combines ideas from basketball and soccer, but also has it's own. I mean, object is puck into opposite net, and keep it out of your own. Teams weighted towards the attack. Dedicated goalkeeper. Various penalties to keep order; no tripping, using the stick to injure or impede, no fighting, not actively attempting to injure another player. That's about it. One almost unique factor is that fighting, although penalized, is allowed, and only in lacrosse is it an accepted part of the game. Still, outside of men's professional leagues in North America, you won't find fighting (or not much). It is expressly forbidden in NCAA, women's, and Olympic hockey. However, the KHL in Russia loosened up fighting rules in 2011; in 2010, there was a game with 840 penalty minutes, with 421 minutes for one team, and 419 for the other. The NHL record for penalty minutes in one game is 419 - for both teams.

I don't know of another primer. I think just watching will give you a lot of what you need, and, when other things come up, like "offsides", if you don't get it, the internet has voluminous resources.
Thanks man. I'm just going to dive head first into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome. Applying to EM residencies now. This thread reaffirms that i made the right choice ;)

I'm a NYR fan, but they are making it difficult lately. Not sure I'm happy about the long contract they just gave Lundqvist. Don't get me wrong, he is one of the best, but this team needs a lot more than a great goalie to get their act together and giving him such a big contract is going to hurt them everywhere else.

I've played my whole life, less so in medical school though. Hopefully I can get some more ice time once I settle in to residency. Didn't have many other hockey players to talk to/play with in med school.

Nuances of hockey, for teh noobs:

- 5 skaters and 1 goalie per team. Throwing the puck down the ice away from your own net (when you are defending your own goal) is called "icing". Play stops, and a face-off is held BACK on your end of the ice. This is designed to make the defending players not become giant wuss-es.

- When a penalty is called, that player sits in the penalty box for (usually 2, sometimes 4, sometimes 5) minutes. This places your team "one-man down" for the duration on the ice, creating an offensive advantage for the opposing team. The team that is penalized (that is... the team that is trying to "kill the penalty")... has "icing" waived; they are now permitted to just wing the puck out of their own end of the ice. The penalized player feels shame whilst sitting in the box, but never thereafter.

- Don't touch the goalie, especially in the "crease" (the blue-painted area in front of the net). The goalie cannot be interfered with, and must be permitted to make a play on the puck at all times. Violating this rule will result in a two-minute penalty, and will invoke the anger of the other teams "enforcer(s)", who are lesser-skilled and more-muscled players whose (primary?) role is to beat the living hell out of anyone who violates this and other unwritten rules of the game. Consequently, hockey is a relatively well-self-policed game.

- The player carrying the puck MUST cross the blue line (into the offensive zone) first. Other players cannot be across the blue line (and in the offensive zone) ahead of the puck. That is called "offsides". Its similar to soccer, except that men never kiss or touch each others genitals, as is common in soccer.

- When a player is injured, play only sometimes stops, as the injured player most often can get up and play and skate to the bench and be replaced. All substitutions are held in "real-time", with play not stopping. Only rarely and when the suspicion for serious injury is high are players stretchered off of the ice. This is highly unlike soccer, in which when a player has a 'cramp', they are stretchered off of the 'pitch' (field), only to get up, touch another man's genitals, receive a kiss (usually from that same man), and get back on the field without incident or further ado. This is common practice in soccer. Hockey players have been known to finish games and score goals with broken appendicular bones.

- Hockey games are comprised of three [20-minute] periods of play. The ice is cleaned between each period, so hockey games (including stoppage time) usually last less than two hours in total. This is different than American Football, in which games pretty much last the entirety of one day, with only 12-15 minutes of actual "playing" time, as play is whistled "dead" every three seconds, and then each play is reviewed by a panel of old vasculopaths on a telemetry unit and then discussed at length for at least ten hours every day for the next week on ESPN.

- Fighting (that is, fisticuffs) is permitted in hockey. Generally, two men agree to settle a disagreement, remove gloves and other encumbrances, and proceed to duel one-on-one until one player, the other, or both do tire from the event, or until one is rendered unable to continue. After the on-ice disagreement is finished, no further action is required. There is often a show of solidarity between the two combatants to indicate that the matter is settled. This is very different from American Football or Basketball, in which disagreements generally result in the shooting death(s) of one or several individuals in what is known as "the club", and frequently involve non-combatants (limo-drivers, wives-and-girlfriends, family members, entourages, etc). A "rap album" is then generally "cut", detailing the events of the conflict resolution, often to the economic benefit of the original combatants.

- Hockey players are generally very literate and are often well-spoken and gentlemanly. This is unlike many other-sport athletes who frequently end every sentence with "know-wha'mm'sayy'n'".

- Hockey players are rarely found to be in serious violation of the law. The most common notable offenses of hockey players are crimes related to gambling or analgesic abuse. Baseball, football, and basketball players (on the other hand) are most frequently found to be charged with sexual assault, rape, murder, robbery, conspiracy to commit murder, dog-fighting, animal cruelty, weapons possession, narcotic and other drug-related charges, performance-enhancing-drug abuse, or other violent crimes. Hockey players generally aren't involved in such matters, as "their Dad(s) would kick their ass(es) if they did that, and its just not right anyways, eh?".

- I could go on like this all night. - and to those other sports fans who are going to criticize me... know this: I'm also a devoted baseball fan who will occasionally watch some futbol (soccer) when its on. I can't wait for World Cup next year. If you want to debate the (de)merits of the NFL/NBA with me.... I'm open, g'head.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
lmao... epic as usual my friend. I've come to expect nothing less.

Thanks, amigo.

I hate to say it, but its freaking true. The NFL is a three-ring circus, and I stopped watching the NBA shortly after Shaq started rapping.

ESPN loves to use the phrase: "We are sports entertainment."

Really? Then show some sports. Sports.. (gasp)... are entertainment ! Show some compelling bits of billiards, skiing, surfing, or Olympic qualifiers of (whatever). I no longer want to watch Tony Kornholer and Craig Wilthorn discuss the potential ramifications of "LaShawn Calicoville's" decision to sign with DefMos Records.

I can't help but hear my dad:

"Shut up and watch the game."

Nuances of hockey, for teh noobs:

- 5 skaters and 1 goalie per team. Throwing the puck down the ice away from your own net (when you are defending your own goal) is called "icing". Play stops, and a face-off is held BACK on your end of the ice. This is designed to make the defending players not become giant wuss-es.

- When a penalty is called, that player sits in the penalty box for (usually 2, sometimes 4, sometimes 5) minutes. This places your team "one-man down" for the duration on the ice, creating an offensive advantage for the opposing team. The team that is penalized (that is... the team that is trying to "kill the penalty")... has "icing" waived; they are now permitted to just wing the puck out of their own end of the ice. The penalized player feels shame whilst sitting in the box, but never thereafter.

- Don't touch the goalie, especially in the "crease" (the blue-painted area in front of the net). The goalie cannot be interfered with, and must be permitted to make a play on the puck at all times. Violating this rule will result in a two-minute penalty, and will invoke the anger of the other teams "enforcer(s)", who are lesser-skilled and more-muscled players whose (primary?) role is to beat the living hell out of anyone who violates this and other unwritten rules of the game. Consequently, hockey is a relatively well-self-policed game.

- The player carrying the puck MUST cross the blue line (into the offensive zone) first. Other players cannot be across the blue line (and in the offensive zone) ahead of the puck. That is called "offsides". Its similar to soccer, except that men never kiss or touch each others genitals, as is common in soccer.

- When a player is injured, play only sometimes stops, as the injured player most often can get up and play and skate to the bench and be replaced. All substitutions are held in "real-time", with play not stopping. Only rarely and when the suspicion for serious injury is high are players stretchered off of the ice. This is highly unlike soccer, in which when a player has a 'cramp', they are stretchered off of the 'pitch' (field), only to get up, touch another man's genitals, receive a kiss (usually from that same man), and get back on the field without incident or further ado. This is common practice in soccer. Hockey players have been known to finish games and score goals with broken appendicular bones.

- Hockey games are comprised of three [20-minute] periods of play. The ice is cleaned between each period, so hockey games (including stoppage time) usually last less than two hours in total. This is different than American Football, in which games pretty much last the entirety of one day, with only 12-15 minutes of actual "playing" time, as play is whistled "dead" every three seconds, and then each play is reviewed by a panel of old vasculopaths on a telemetry unit and then discussed at length for at least ten hours every day for the next week on ESPN.

- Fighting (that is, fisticuffs) is permitted in hockey. Generally, two men agree to settle a disagreement, remove gloves and other encumbrances, and proceed to duel one-on-one until one player, the other, or both do tire from the event, or until one is rendered unable to continue. After the on-ice disagreement is finished, no further action is required. There is often a show of solidarity between the two combatants to indicate that the matter is settled. This is very different from American Football or Basketball, in which disagreements generally result in the shooting death(s) of one or several individuals in what is known as "the club", and frequently involve non-combatants (limo-drivers, wives-and-girlfriends, family members, entourages, etc). A "rap album" is then generally "cut", detailing the events of the conflict resolution, often to the economic benefit of the original combatants.

- Hockey players are generally very literate and are often well-spoken and gentlemanly. This is unlike many other-sport athletes who frequently end every sentence with "know-wha'mm'sayy'n'".

- Hockey players are rarely found to be in serious violation of the law. The most common notable offenses of hockey players are crimes related to gambling or analgesic abuse. Baseball, football, and basketball players (on the other hand) are most frequently found to be charged with sexual assault, rape, murder, robbery, conspiracy to commit murder, dog-fighting, animal cruelty, weapons possession, narcotic and other drug-related charges, performance-enhancing-drug abuse, or other violent crimes. Hockey players generally aren't involved in such matters, as "their Dad(s) would kick their ass(es) if they did that, and its just not right anyways, eh?".

- I could go on like this all night. - and to those other sports fans who are going to criticize me... know this: I'm also a devoted baseball fan who will occasionally watch some futbol (soccer) when its on. I can't wait for World Cup next year. If you want to debate the (de)merits of the NFL/NBA with me.... I'm open, g'head.
Pretty epic post. Thanks for the laughs.

So I have a long commute to work and I've been looking for a hockey podcast to listen to but so far it's been a bust...

Sabres/Coyotes - overtime, Sabres win on a goal scored by Coyotes goalie Mike Smith - puck up in the air, lands on Smith's back, and is held between his jersey and pants. He doesn't feel it, but has good goalie instincts - if you don't know where is the puck, you back up into the net. He did so, and it counted! I tried to get a video of it to show you, but Yahoo! and NHL.com aren't cooperating with me. However, several commentators (with up to 40 years in the business) said they'd never seen anything like it. Give it a day, and Google "Mike Smith butt goal", and you'll see it!

These are two vids of the 'butt goal'. Look at it now, because that is as flukey a goal as you will EVER see!

lol wow that's crazy. in my mind I'd except the refs to blow the puck dead if they can't see it, but I guess I also understand that this was a confusing call to make. strange way to lose a game haha

lol wow that's crazy. in my mind I'd except the refs to blow the puck dead if they can't see it, but I guess I also understand that this was a confusing call to make. strange way to lose a game haha

But what people forget is that the "lost sight of the puck" isn't an immediate thing - there are multiple momentary episodes in every game where the refs can't specifically see the puck for brief periods, and this was one. It was fortunate it was the 'Yotes, too - if it was the Bruins, that d-bag Lucic would be all up in arms, or if it was Philly or the Leafs.

And the war room said it was good, so it's all good!

No hockey for the past 2 days has me aggravated. At least I worked and we were bussssy.

Been to 5 TBL games so far this season. Now, I love my Bolts - but when I was a resident, we had an ECHL team in town.

I miss the ECHL. Intimate arena, great food, different game. I appreciate all the amenities that I enjoy now (I do spring for primo seats), but there's a certain palpableness of the ECHL games that's just... freaking great.

... and Commish has upheld the 15-gamer for Thornton. If I were commish, I would've tacked on five for 'wasting my time'.

Of course, if I were commish... (your turn)...

@RustedFox St. Louis with 4 goals by the first 20% of the second period! His 2,3,4 goals qualify for a "natural" hat trick!

It would be INSANE if he scored 7 goals in this game. That guy STILL has it!

He's my favorite player. Period. I have a jersey signed by him that I'm lookin' to frame.

"26" is also my birthday. :)

Wow - Joe Pavelski ALSO with a hat trick. I don't recall the last time I saw 2 hat tricks in one game!

And Marty St. Louis is a class act. It's ironic when they are playing the Sharks, with the biggest scumbag/thug there is, Joe Thornton.

Found this stat the other day:

Sports Categories (Highest Number of Arrests to Lowest Number of Arrests: 2013)

1. College Football – 174 Arrests/Charges/Citations
2. Pro Football – 71 Arrests/Citations/Charges
3. Former – 50 Arrests/Citations/Charges
4. College Basketball – 49 Arrests/Citations/Charges
5. Pro Basketball – 19 Arrests/Citations/Charges
6. Pro Baseball – 12 Arrests/Citations/Charges
7. College Baseball – 11 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T8. Coach – 6 Arrests/Citations/Charges
. College Hockey – 6 Arrests/Citations/Charges
. Minor League Baseball – 6 Arrests/Citations/Charges
9. College Lacrosse – 4 Arrests/Citations/Charges
10. Soccer – 3 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T11. College Volleyball – 2 Arrests/Citations/Charges
. Miscellaneous – 2 Arrests/Citations/Charges
. Pro Hockey – 2 Arrests/Citations/Charges
T12. Athletic Director – 1 Arrests/Citations/Charges
. College Water Polo – 1 Arrests/Citations/Charges
. Golf – 1 Arrests/Citations/Charges
. Olympics – 1 Arrests/Citations/Charges
. Racing – 1 Arrests/Citations/Charges
. Tennis – 1 Arrests/Citations/Charges
. Track and Field – 1 Arrests/Citations/Charges
. TV Personality – 1 Arrests/Citations/Charges
. Wrestling – 1 Arrests/Citations/Charges

The thing that stands out is pro football arrests. If you looked at denominators, there's got to be 100x more college then pro players.

How about those Dallas Stars whipping on the Leafs last night?

And the comedic relief:

BetfI13CMAAhN1E.jpg

Adios, Marty St. Louis -

Adios.

While I would have loved you to stay here for the last year (or two?) of your NHL career..... heyyy, man - family first.

Dig it. Enjoy NYC/Connecticut.

don't know how to feel yet. the heart and soul of our squad is gone, but with what he was demanding I truly can't blame the Rangers front office. hopefully we can get some goal production from St. Louis to ease the pain a bit, but imagining Callahan being a 35 year old making $6.5 million with a no trade clause 6 years from now would have just been detrimental to the future of our organization. I guess it had to be done, but Captain Cally will be missed.

also Vanek from the Isles traded for a second rounder and a prospect? lol, that front office is a joke man.

Vanek said he was going, and that's all there was to it. Had they done nothing, they would have gotten nothing. He turned out to be an expensive rental, but they got what they could. I hear what you are saying, man, but I am not so quick to throw the baby out with the bath water.

The Sabres went hog wild yesterday, which is a change from Darcy sitting on his butt bloviating, but, at the end, having done nothing or a measly minor league/prospect switch. He has to either be stewing right now, or laughing gleefully. What will stick in his craw is if Andy Murray has made the right changes, and things click. This season is a goner, but always look to the future!

Ya sure, you betcha! Minnesota Wild! ...and Chi Blackhawks from our MN hockey hiatus after the North Stars were stolen away from us (I'll see you in hell Norm Green! - his own words: "Only an idiot could lose money on hockey in Minnesota")

Great start so far: Wild 1st in NW division, Chi 1st in Western Conference! If only we were at the real mid-season...lockout has been brutal!

I can't get enough puck, I actually drive a Zamboni after exam blocks at a local rink. Any pond hockey enthusiasts out there?!

So excited to have Parise and Suter!

Damn, and I here I was thinking I had a monopoly on the Zamboni driver / med student market!

So, I get out of work (night and night) and am driving home Sunday morning. I am zoning and get stopped for 69 in a 55. I tell the local officer that I would normally take a nap before driving home, but I was going to the hockey game that afternoon. He doesn't write me a ticket, and says, "having to see the Sabres is punishment enough", and lets me go.

Sabres lost 4-3 in the shootout to end the season, after being up 2-0.

So, I get out of work (night and night) and am driving home Sunday morning. I am zoning and get stopped for 69 in a 55. I tell the local officer that I would normally take a nap before driving home, but I was going to the hockey game that afternoon. He doesn't write me a ticket, and says, "having to see the Sabres is punishment enough", and lets me go.

Sabres lost 4-3 in the shootout to end the season, after being up 2-0.

And my Panthers end up snagging the top pick...

And my Panthers end up snagging the top pick...

Hey, at least it was the #29 team - it would have been a kick in the teeth if the Caps - the #17 team, with about a 1% chance of getting the pick, after finishing 1 point out of the playoffs - would have gotten it.

On the radio, they were saying that, if Darcy Regier was still the GM in Buffalo, he would have said that "we wanted the #2 pick", and the other guy said that Darcy would have said, "We already traded the #2 pick for 3 3rd round picks". No love there (and rightfully so).

I'm not a Bruins fan, but I hope that the Montreal Entitlements go down hard.

P.K. Slewfoot also needs to go down hard.

Sabres are DIW (and, unlike other threads, I shall NOT assume that everyone know what that means) - "dead in the water". Atrocious game this evening. Gorges was interviewed after the game in the locker room, and he said that the fans deserve better. We do.

Sabres are in full "dishonor for Connor" mode.

Penguins coaching staff's job is to injure every forward that we have.

Sabres are in full "dishonor for Connor" mode.

Penguins coaching staff's job is to injure every forward that we have.
Some guys were talking about that on the radio this morning. However, that belies the whole core of pro sports contracts - that you cannot "bag it", per the contract, that you have to give your best. That's why, for example, Dominik Hasek, 20 years ago now, claimed he tweaked his knee, when he didn't want to play. For a pro player to just phone it in, on purpose, is black-letter contract breach. And, to add insult to injury, it's the "lottery" aspect to the NHL draft, like the NBA draft. Finishing last doesn't even guarantee getting the first choice! Bummer!