Any other reapplicants dealing with stress at the thought of another cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jadealer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are any of you guys feeling a little stressed out about the thought of another cycle and potentially not getting in again? I am trying to improve my application plus get my apps in a lot earlier.. but occasionally I get hopeless feeling that this might all be for nothing... anyone else have similar feelings? How are you coping/dealing with them? I try to talk to my boyfriend and family about it.. but they just tell me to stop stressing when the cycle has barely started... so I thought I'd see if anyone else is feeling the same way and any useful suggestions for keeping things in perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

Are any of you guys feeling a little stressed out about the thought of another cycle and potentially not getting in again? I am trying to improve my application plus get my apps in a lot earlier.. but occasionally I get hopeless feeling that this might all be for nothing... anyone else have similar feelings? How are you coping/dealing with them? I try to talk to my boyfriend and family about it.. but they just tell me to stop stressing when the cycle has barely started... so I thought I'd see if anyone else is feeling the same way and any useful suggestions for keeping things in perspective.

YES! I could not sit down and write my PS for days...and then I wrote one, scrapped it, wrote another, handed it out to people... and yet, I still worry it isn't good enough. And I feel like all my ECs are crap and I should have done more! Why didn't I do more! And I'm applying to 30+ schools and I want to apply to more, and I am preparing to apply DO, and I'm just totally worried that not a single one will call me again and want to interview me and all this money will go down the drain... and what do I do then? Wait another year to reapply? Go to St. George?

and sorry for the rant.

But yea, I actually use St. George medical school as the thing that keeps me sane. They accepted me there before, so they can take me again, so yea, regardless, I will be an MD one day. I might have a harder time getting residency, and I might not end up somewhere really competitive, but I will be a physician and enjoying what I am doing.

I don't know if this will work in removing your stress. But it's nice for me to know that there is hope down the line [and I currently have a friend down at St. George to be my "tester" subject]

I don't really find anxiety to be uhh, one of those particularly useful emotions. From my personal experience, it's really important to realize a) you're anxious! b) it's not helpful and c) it's not going to get you anywhere you want to go. Anxiety comes from uncertainty. You can either fix the uncertainty (planning - what are you doing to fix your application? What are you doing in the upcoming year?) or fix the way you perceive it.

The path might be harder for you than it was for another applicant, but what does it matter? That's them, this is you. You're going to get into medical school. You will be a physician! Be confident in yourself :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I had applied to only 3 MD and 1 Do schools last year. I applied before getting my MCAT and my MCAT was low so I did not apply to any other schools. I also got an interview invite from teh DO school which I had declined as I wanted to improve my applicatioon and try broadly this year. My application was OK last year except my MCAT score. Hoping to get a better MCAT this time.

very stressed but more over the what is being referred to in my family as the "nuclear option" being my only choice (sending me to a neighboring state for 4 yrs and being a weekend mommy...*eek*) and THAT terrifies me!!!

very stressed but more over the what is being referred to in my family as the "nuclear option" being my only choice (sending me to a neighboring state for 4 yrs and being a weekend mommy...*eek*) and THAT terrifies me!!!

Aww that's rough. Good luck getting into a school close to your family!

Aww that's rough. Good luck getting into a school close to your family!

thanks...i am hoping this will not be needed and the phone willring soon but am prepping for the worst.

but i am with you...i am also considering all other options that would keep me in the health care field. I am possibly going to retake the gre and applying to direct entry nurse practioner programs as well...i think that is what is keeping me sane...knowing by this time next year i will *know* where i am headed and what I am doing. also knowing that i have doen everything in my power to try to get into med school.....including expanding where i am applying and making sure i submit early (i am submitting come july 1st if i have not received a call)....so i knwo i have at that point done everything in my power.

but otehr than that i am not looking forward to the stress of wondering if/when the interview notification will come then if/when the decision will come...basically being neurotic for another year without anything to distract me as i have had for this past year :laugh:

you are going to be stressed out. the key is to just get to work and keep going. find a nice quiet place in your house, with a desk and a computer. pour yourself a cup of coffee and have pitcher of water handy. and just take it one secondary question at a time.

you never know if what you are doing will be fruitul, until you see the results. and when you do get accepted next year it will be the most amazing feeling in the world!

this cycle i applied to 50 schools, rejected pre-interview from 48. out of the two that interviewed me i got rejected from one and waitlisted on the other way back in february. :mad: :scared:

only two weeks ago i was finally accepted. :laugh:

and now im :sleep: chillin.

remember, nothing that is worth having will ever come easy.

good luck!

Last edited:
you are going to be stressed out. the key is to just get to work and keep going. find a nice quiet place in your house, with a desk and a computer. pour yourself a cup of coffee and have pitcher of water handy. and just take it one secondary question at a time.

you never know if what you are doing will be fruitul, until you see the results. and when you do get accepted next year it will be the most amazing feeling in the world!

this cycle i applied to 50 schools, rejected post-interview from 48. out of the two that interviewed me i got rejected from one and waitlisted on the other way back in february. :mad: :scared:

only two weeks ago i was finally accepted. :laugh:

and now im :sleep: chillin.

remember, nothing that is worth having will ever come easy.

good luck!

Congrats.. I think I would have cried by rejection 30.... Were you stats really bad or something that you applied to 50 schools? I am applying to 40+ this year because of my low MCAT (29P).

Congrats.. I think I would have cried by rejection 30.... Were you stats really bad or something that you applied to 50 schools? I am applying to 40+ this year because of my low MCAT (29P).

i had a low first MCAT (24). i applied through amcas before taking my second mcat, which came back as a 33. i think my rejections came because i had an art major, and i lacked a lot of the ECs/shadowing/volunteering that others had because i decided on medicine very late.

i had a low first MCAT (24). i applied through amcas before taking my second mcat, which came back as a 33. i think my rejections came because i had an art major, and i lacked a lot of the ECs/shadowing/volunteering that others had because i decided on medicine very late.

Wow... hee you sound like me the first time I went to apply back in 2006. I got 24 MCAT and decided on medicine very late so minimal shadowing/ECs/etc (the spring of my seniro year). I ended up not continuing with my application though past my primaries because it was when the MCAT was only offered august/april and I took the august tests plus I had some personal problems rise up. Congrats on the acceptance though way to buck the system!

Wow... hee you sound like me the first time I went to apply back in 2006. I got 24 MCAT and decided on medicine very late so minimal shadowing/ECs/etc (the spring of my seniro year). I ended up not continuing with my application though past my primaries because it was when the MCAT was only offered august/april and I took the august tests plus I had some personal problems rise up. Congrats on the acceptance though way to buck the system!

yea man thanks.

ps: when i was waitlisted i sent 2 LOIs, 3 extra LORs, and a research update (5 total updates in a three month span). so think about getting those lined up and sent out as your interviews start coming, just in case you get on a waitlist.

good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
yea man thanks.

ps: when i was waitlisted i sent 2 LOIs, 3 extra LORs, and a research update (5 total updates in a three month span). so think about getting those lined up and sent out as your interviews start coming, just in case you get on a waitlist.

good luck!

I sent 2 updates and 3 LOI of interest plus phone calls after getting WLed in March at all three places I interviewed but sadly I didn't get any love off of my waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
And I feel like all my ECs are crap and I should have done more! Why didn't I do more! And I'm applying to 30+ schools and I want to apply to more, and I am preparing to apply DO, and I'm just totally worried that not a single one will call me again and want to interview me and all this money will go down the drain...

Yeah, I used to think my work experience and ECs were pretty good but after the last cycle I am not so sure. 31 schools and not one interview. :( I understand the "wish I had more" feeling.

I am the opposite about wanting to apply to more schools...I want to apply to less. I feel so bad about the $3,000 I spent last year all for nothing that I am having a hard time emotionally applying this year. I had to finance that money so I will pay it back with interest. I have only submitted two apps so far though I am verified on both AMCAS and AACOMAS. In addition to the money I just cannot stomach the thought of a ton of secondary essays. I spent sooooo much time on that last year ... 31 apps!

Early is KEY. I applied the first year late (bad BAAAAAD advice from pre-med advisor) and didn't get a single interview.

Applied FIRST DAY AVAILABLE in my reapp year and by Labor Day I had 7 interviews already. By October 1 I had an acceptance. And no, my app didn't change much in that year other than I applied the VERY FIRST DAY I could and I rewrote my PS.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I used to think my work experience and ECs were pretty good but after the last cycle I am not so sure. 31 schools and not one interview. :( I understand the "wish I had more" feeling.

I am the opposite about wanting to apply to more schools...I want to apply to less. I feel so bad about the $3,000 I spent last year all for nothing that I am having a hard time emotionally applying this year. I had to finance that money so I will pay it back with interest. I have only submitted two apps so far though I am verified on both AMCAS and AACOMAS. In addition to the money I just cannot stomach the thought of a ton of secondary essays. I spent sooooo much time on that last year ... 31 apps!

I feel you! I applied to 23 schools two-years ago and didn't get a single interview. I also applied very late though (took MCAT in August and nothing was completed til end of September... and it was impossible to work on secondaries when studying for the MCAT).

I'm applying to 30+ schools this year and I pretty much can't sleep over the fear that once again, not a single school will interview me. :(

I feel you! I applied to 23 schools two-years ago and didn't get a single interview. I also applied very late though (took MCAT in August and nothing was completed til end of September... and it was impossible to work on secondaries when studying for the MCAT).

I'm applying to 30+ schools this year and I pretty much can't sleep over the fear that once again, not a single school will interview me. :(

Last year I ended up retaking the MCAT in August which made my apps late (September/October) also. I am hoping this year an early app will help. ShyRem gives me hope with her post above. :xf:

I didn't really tell a lot of people about my applications to med school but it wasn't exactly a secret, either. I was at the dentist yesterday and I always see the same dental hygienist and she remembered I was applying to med school and asked how it had gone. I said I hadn't been accepted anywhere and she asked me if I had been waitlisted anywhere. I was like, "Waitlisted... Honey, I wasn't even interviewed." :(

Last year I ended up retaking the MCAT in August which made my apps late (September/October) also. I am hoping this year an early app will help. ShyRem gives me hope with her post above. :xf:

I didn't really tell a lot of people about my applications to med school but it wasn't exactly a secret, either. I was at the dentist yesterday and I always see the same dental hygienist and she remembered I was applying to med school and asked how it had gone. I said I hadn't been accepted anywhere and she asked me if I had been waitlisted anywhere. I was like, "Waitlisted... Honey, I wasn't even interviewed." :(

props on going to the dentist more than once in a year....that reminds me that i need to go :p

I would like to point out the one good thing about reapplication- no re-entering coursework!!!

The cycle.. has officially.. begun again..... yay! :p

I feel the same way. Super frustrated and super stressed. Feeling lost and hopeless. Hope this cycle goes better, even if just due to a more fortuitous alignment of the stars! Let's keep in touch throughout this cycle guys.

only for amcas...you have to re-enter everything into aacomas....AGGGHHHH!!!! :scared:

No you don't ... it gave the option of transferring your previous application in its entirety. It was a new feature this year.

No you don't ... it gave the option of transferring your previous application in its entirety. It was a new feature this year.

somehow i am missing that option.....do you know where you found it??

that would save ma a TON of time entering in all this coursework!!!

somehow i am missing that option.....do you know where you found it??

that would save ma a TON of time entering in all this coursework!!!

I believe that when I first opened up the application for 2011, it gave two options, 1. Begin a new application and 2. Copy application from 2010.

I wish I could be of more help, but when I look at it now, mine just says at the bottom, "You copied over 2010 your application. Currently viewing 2011. Go to my 2010 application." With the words switched like that and everything. There is the chance that you may have missed your chance, but I'd recommend contacting AACOMAS directly for assistance. You can email them or call them. [email protected] or 301-968-4190

I believe that when I first opened up the application for 2011, it gave two options, 1. Begin a new application and 2. Copy application from 2010.

I wish I could be of more help, but when I look at it now, mine just says at the bottom, "You copied over 2010 your application. Currently viewing 2011. Go to my 2010 application." With the words switched like that and everything. There is the chance that you may have missed your chance, but I'd recommend contacting AACOMAS directly for assistance. You can email them or call them. [email protected] or 301-968-4190

i emailed customer support so hopefully they will be able to helpout. i never saw the transfer option :(

I never even had a transfer option. Most of the stuff just automatically carried over from last year's cycle.

hey guys, i just wanted to wish everyone good luck!!!!! reapplying sucks (i went through 2 cycles) but if you want it, you can attain it :) stay positive, don't be too stressed out (i know this is hard too) and work hard! i hope you all get accepted this cycle!

hey guys, i just wanted to wish everyone good luck!!!!! reapplying sucks (i went through 2 cycles) but if you want it, you can attain it :) stay positive, don't be too stressed out (i know this is hard too) and work hard! i hope you all get accepted this cycle!

Thanks for the encouraging words. =)

I am getting second thoughts on re-applying this year...maybe I should take another year off, but then again I am worried that increasing gap time may have its own detrimental effects (aging letters, too much time spent out of school, and that nothing is ever enough to the adcom's eyes).

hey all....i will not be continuing my application....i am out of limbo and into the class of 2014!!!

but i will be all of your biggest cheerleader!!!

i am living proof that a reapplicant CAN get in!!!

Some stress...but this time around I have a >30 MCAT. So I feel kinda excited.

I haven't even applied yet, and I'm going through crazy stress at the thought of waiting another year. Here are my stats sGPA:3.37, cGPA 3.63, MCAT 30-O. I really want to get into UCD, so I'm taking yet another year off (3rd year now since I graduated college). Even if I get accepted next summer when I apply, I have to cope with the fact that people I know from college will be graduating from med school the year I might matriculate. I feel like I failed at efficiency with this whole process, but I have to remind myself that I'm not other people. I have learned a lot during my time off and I've spent the time it takes to really know that this is the right path for me. And even though I feel like a failure for not yet reaching my goals, I have to remind myself everyday that this is my direction. I'm not stagnant. I'm moving forward, and I have a lot of people who support me. This isn't easy for me the way it is for some people. I have to actually struggle for this, but that makes the results all the more worth while, and all the more significant to me personally.

hey all....i will not be continuing my application....i am out of limbo and into the class of 2014!!!

but i will be all of your biggest cheerleader!!!

i am living proof that a reapplicant CAN get in!!!

Congrats!

I applied with a 3.67/35 and got in no where last cycle. Hoping to have better luck this time around. Good luck to you guys too!

Keep re-applying if u have the means. I remember 92-95 real well. Went thru 3 cycles, 3 mcats. someone in my class had taken the mcat 7 times and then got in.

Don't give up! We need good doctors...that want it badly

I haven't even applied yet, and I'm going through crazy stress at the thought of waiting another year. Here are my stats sGPA:3.37, cGPA 3.63, MCAT 30-O. I really want to get into UCD, so I'm taking yet another year off (3rd year now since I graduated college). Even if I get accepted next summer when I apply, I have to cope with the fact that people I know from college will be graduating from med school the year I might matriculate. I feel like I failed at efficiency with this whole process, but I have to remind myself that I'm not other people. I have learned a lot during my time off and I've spent the time it takes to really know that this is the right path for me. And even though I feel like a failure for not yet reaching my goals, I have to remind myself everyday that this is my direction. I'm not stagnant. I'm moving forward, and I have a lot of people who support me. This isn't easy for me the way it is for some people. I have to actually struggle for this, but that makes the results all the more worth while, and all the more significant to me personally.

great attitude! i first applied my senior year of college, realizing that i was not ready and was rushing myself. i took TWO years off before applying again and i don't regret a day of it. a lot of my friends are starting their 3rd year and clinical rotations, but that's them, and i am me. i will be 24 as an MS1. i think it's all about making the gap years worthwhile. a lot of people were encouraging me to forget about medicine, but i know that it's the right path for me, and finally getting a school made all the effort sweeter. taking time off is an opportunity to learn more, build a stronger application, and enter the cycle energized and confident!

As a fellow reapplicant, I want to wish everyone good luck, and I hope to see you in a (short) white coat in about a year!

I feel the same way. Super frustrated and super stressed. Feeling lost and hopeless. Hope this cycle goes better, even if just due to a more fortuitous alignment of the stars! Let's keep in touch throughout this cycle guys.

Anyone have any news to report yet?

I attended an interview at LECOM last week which is really exciting for me - my first ever med school interview! I think it went pretty well. I am anxiously awaiting a letter in the mail in the next few days. They told us at the interview that yesterday (7/21) the adcom would meet and determine our fate and they would notify us very quickly of a decision. :scared: Really hoping and praying this ordeal will be over soon. If I am accepted I will cheerfully send my deposit and call it a day!

Anyone have any news to report yet?

I attended an interview at LECOM last week which is really exciting for me - my first ever med school interview! I think it went pretty well. I am anxiously awaiting a letter in the mail in the next few days. They told us at the interview that yesterday (7/21) the adcom would meet and determine our fate and they would notify us very quickly of a decision. :scared: Really hoping and praying this ordeal will be over soon. If I am accepted I will cheerfully send my deposit and call it a day!

Wow, good luck! That's a really quick decision! :luck: