Any other Twelve-Steppers out There?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EpiGirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a recovering Compulsive Overeater in OA, and just working on AMCAS without my favoriate coping mechanism (food) is a big challenge. I was wondering if there are other students/doctors/hopefuls on the forum who are working the twelve steps for their own diseases and making it in this crazy profession. I'd be grateful for some inspiration! Thanks.

I figured Nontraditional Students was the right forum for this post since I'm pretty sure the traditional med student is still on his/her way down to rock bottom. :hungover:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
I used to have issues with food (well, I still do, a little bit, they never truly go away, but I no longer have an eating disorder or am obese), and I went to a few Food Addicts Anonymous meetings....it wasn't for me, I have to say. I did not agree with the idea of quitting white foods altogether - I don't think NEVER eating sugar or bread in any form is a sustainable lifestyle, even though I do avoid both 90% of the time. I also had a problem with the religious aspect of the program - I'm an atheist, so I couldn't really find a "higher power" for myself, to be honest. They did suggest I talk to some woman who'd successfully gone through the program being an atheist, but I decided the program was not for me anyway. However, I did enjoy listening to others' stories - it was nice to know that someone else has gone through the same thing and beat it successfully.
I don't know how similar FA is to OA, but I bet there isn't a drastic difference.

I do have a few friends who've participated in the AA, some successfully, some not so much. I became interested in 12-step programs after an alcoholic neighbor became seriously ill b/c of his disease (he eventually passed away). I've read The Big Book, and feel like I really benefited from it - it was nice to see people honestly talk about their addictions and skip all the stupid political correctness that goes with it in the media - it's a book written by addicts for addicts. In my opinion, the Big Book is just as relevant to a food addict as it is to an alcoholic.

If anything, it's even harder for an FA out there, because we HAVE to eat. Nobody HAS to drink alcohol. We can't just quit food cold turkey, we have to deal with our issues every time we sit down at a meal.

while i do not have any experience with what you are going through i was an emotional/stress eater before.
i had a rny gastric bypass in april 2005 and that has all changed now...not that the desires do not rear their ugly head from time to time but i simply can not tolerate those foods i would rely on to get me through an emotional time anymore.
i know how tough this road is to walk.....one step at a time, one day at a time and we will get there