Any Pakistani Pre-Meds Out There..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't like pakistan's government. its very corrupt and the previous prime minister Benazir Bhutto is a ****ing thief. She stole money from the government and is now in the U.K. because we exiled her. And for one reason or another, pakis of the lower to middle class always like to con other fellow pakis.

Members don't see this ad.

DrAliyah said:
Im a paki premed from southern california. Anyone else from california?
hey i am indian
if india is my mother than pak is my father
so stop ****ing
ok
ootherwise i will crush u all
hey

Hi guys!! great to see ppl from my community on this forum!!
Im pakistani too and just moved four years ago to the U.S. im almost done with my BSc at UCLA. unfortunately a pre-med!! :( :( are most of you guys giving the april 2005 Mcat?? i will be doing so and just wanted to wish everyone well!!! gud luck and do Pak proud!!
P.S : i dont like the word PAKI :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
PreMedStudent said:
Whoever said that this post is not related to medicine you are wrong.. this is for pakistanis in medicine and what majors they are doing.. but like always some indian has to come in this thread and mess it up with there lame comments..
Why dont u guys open up a new thread that talks about the wars and massacres because i dont really care for hindians or india.. hence the topic Pakistani Pre Meds.. thanks omar for trying to explain to some of these people, but they dont understand.. :eek:
i totally agree with you premedstudent!!! lets talk MORE about what everyone's doing and planning to do to get into a good medschool. ar you applying this year for 2006???

i'm flash not The Flash, btw...

Prep yourselves,

You all are out of your minds. I don't understand how you id yourselves as "desi's" or "pakis". What do you do that unites you in some way, have the same skin color and enjoy the same food. Assimilate, recognize that we are people first, that the USA is THE greatest country in the world, and thankfully pray to whomever for the fact that you're here and have unlimited opportunity. I know it in a very personal way and get incredibly upset when I hear about people who don't recognize it. And, for God's sake, skin color is skin color. "Desi", "paki", etc, are all terms that are so divicive (sp?), narrowing - go back to your "motherland" if you're so inclined. Yeah, I said it, based on a ton of experience with your type of nit wits (yes, I'm being prejudicial). Insecurity lies behind most of your thoughts and actions, imo.

Most of you make me want to vomit. SO F'in INTO RACE AND YOU DON'T SEE IT! That is all, i'm done. I know I'm being "harsh" and most of you people are probably into "making the whole world feel good about everything", but these threads annoy me incredibly.

bring it...yeah, tell me about how I'll be a terrible doctor.

God bless the US Armed Forces.

flash said:
i'm flash not The Flash, btw...

Prep yourselves,

You all are out of your minds. I don't understand how you id yourselves as "desi's" or "pakis". What do you do that unites you in some way, have the same skin color and enjoy the same food. Assimilate, recognize that we are people first, that the USA is THE greatest country in the world, and thankfully pray to whomever for the fact that you're here and have unlimited opportunity. And, for God's sake, skin color is skin color. "Desi", "paki", etc, are all terms that are so divicive (sp?), narrowing - go back to your "motherland" if you're so inclined. Yeah, I said it, based on a ton of experience with your type of nit wits (yes, I'm being prejudicial). Insecurity lies behind most of your thoughts and actions, imo.

Most of you make me want to vomit. SO F'in INTO RACE AND YOU DON'T SEE IT! That is all, i'm done. I know I'm being "harsh" and most of you people are probably into "making the whole world feel good about everything", but these threads annoy me incredibly.

bring it...yeah, tell me about how I'll be a terrible doctor.

FLASH, u wont be a terrible doc at all!!! :D I AGREE WITH YOU !! we should be PEOPLE first before categorising ourselves geographically and racially.....
i wish everyone would recognise that....this world would be so much of a BETTER place . :idea:

I don't understand how you id yourselves as "scotts" or "irish" or "french" or "canadian" or "spanish" *******. Assimiliate, recognize that we are religion first, America is religion first, Britain is religion first, France is religion first, America is protestant because it separated from the anglican church. The Roman Empire was the greatest power in the world, the Ottoman empire was the greatest power in the world, the chinese dynasties have been the greatest powers in the world, the MONGOLS have been the greatest power in the world, the british have been the greatest power in the world, its all a cycle. "American" "Canadian" "British "French" are all terms that are so divisive, narrowing - go back to your "motherland" if you're so inclined. Yeah, I said it, based on a lot of experience. Insecurity lies behind ignorance, imhmo.

Most of you want to make me want to vomit. So F'in into race! I mean we always had civil rights for colored people and women duh. I know i'm being "harsh" and most of you people are probably "right," but flash annoys me because of a lack of historical knowledge.

bring it...yeah, tell me how I'll be a good doctor.

God bless the world, which does not agree with the invasion of Iraq.

dude, it's a bit hard to distinguish what I said from what you're saying. Space it out, add quotes, do something.

EDIT: I might see the point u r making. I just don't agree /w it. If you're a "paki" or "desi" above being an "american", why be here....move back. I know some think I'm being simplistic, but it is, in fact, that simple for me. I'm an American, 100%. If we went to war with Pak or India, I'd stand behind the US 100%. You, apparently, do not when we rid the world of the Iraqi regime. You, and your friends, lost BIG last election if you noticed (presidency, 4 senate seats, 3 house seats and probably a seat or two on the Supreme Court).

BTW, world on notice, US will do whatever is necessary to further what IT DEEMS is in its national security interests. Iraq=worthwhile, imo. Troops on the ground seem to agree from polling on recent election...by a large margin.

Give them the glory they deserve, we liberated 10's of million. Leave.

flash said:
dude, it's a bit hard to distinguish what I said from what you're saying. Space it out, add quotes, do something.

EDIT: I might see the point u r making. I just don't agree /w it. If you're a "paki" or "desi" above being an "american", why be here....move back. I know some think I'm being simplistic, but it is, in fact, that simple for me. I'm an American, 100%. If we went to war with Pak or India, I'd stand behind the US 100%. You, apparently, do not when we rid the world of the Iraqi regime. You, and your friends, lost BIG last election if you noticed (presidency, 4 senate seats, 3 house seats and probably a seat or two on the Supreme Court).

BTW, world on notice, US will do whatever is necessary to further what IT DEEMS is in its national security interests. Iraq=worthwhile, imo. Troops on the ground seem to agree from polling on recent election...by a large margin.

Give them the glory they deserve, we liberated 10's of million. Leave.
Why be here? because this is the country of human liberty, advancement, prosperity, success, etc etc, i do not consider myself american or paki or desi, i consider myself american-pakistani because i am not fully pakistani or american in tradition, much like many american-pakistanis.

I am American 100 percent too. It is unwise to fully support a cause or idea without fully understanding the history/repercussions/background etc that are implicated in the situation.

I believe that a person should not be spoon-fed food raw information without checking the validacy of the statement and understanding the entire story. It is unwise to listen to one side of a story and completely ignore the other side. In the case of Iraq, this applies. Most people do not fully understand the deeper, more profound reasons for actions, not because they are incompetent but because they are ignorant. Its not always a fight between the good side and the bad side. Historically, every superpower (and regular country) has had its censorship, propaganda, lies, and deceptions and does so in large for the greater benefit of the country whether it be politically, militarry, econmically, even if the reaons are selfish.

To take your example that if we invaded Pakistan or India, you would stand behind the U S 100 percent. 65 years ago, we put Japanese Americans in internment camps. 45 years ago we only gained TRUE rights for colored people. If rash, unthought statements are made like this, then you become another drone following its master.

As for the iraqi regime, i won't argue that with you because we clearly have our differences but historically we couldn't defeat the Koreans, and Vietnamese in two different wars. The platitude that goes "history repeats itself" is so well known because its true. The rest of the CIVILIZED world and 50 percent of Americans (talk about unity) fiercely went against the war, doesn't that tell you something? What's next? Removal of the right to free speech, the right to a jury? What? Are we turning into a new dystopia?

BTW, pointing at the poll, troops seem to agree because they are mostly Republicans (most from the South) so you cannot accurately depict what the troops really think there.

I don't think we liberated 10s of millions because after Iraq was considered a success, I do not see the WMDs, I only sees tens of thousands of civilians dead, a new corrupt government even worse than Saddam's, and 10s of millions still fighting (look at fallujah what a failure that was)

Ahh damn man I read about 1/4 of this post and decided to just come to the end and not read all that jargon. Arguing over the internet is pointless and.....we're all supposed to be in this together.

I'm Pakistani, but in no way do I believe that's a special thing.

Hey to all the other fellow pakis on the board out there.

Pride builds walls between people, Humility builds bridges.
Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it is thinking of yourself less.

BRIDGES people, BRIDGES! :D

edit: or as my friend would say -->
The13thace: humility opens t3h d00rs n pryde slames t3h d00rz in yo mouf
The13thace: humility maeks it easeh to poop n pryde maeks yo hav hemrouds

and yes he spelled those things wrong on purpose... ;0

I started to laugh out loud in the library when I saw that an innocent "who here is Pakistani" thread bursted into flames...how typical ;)

Yeah I'm a Paki, I'm in SoCal as well.

I am too :p

Paki female - and proud of it! Do you guys also feel that there just aren't many pakistanis in medicine? Have any of you guys considered going back to Pakistan to practice in the seemingly-unlikely event that you will get into med school (no offense to all those who think they probably will)?

I have this silly dream of improving the hospital system in karachi. Do you know that Edhi is the only one out there that's got ambulances on the road?? And he's a volunteer!!!! City of Karachi does almost nothing for its people - well...the gov't of Pakistan does almost nothing for its people. Oh wait...not "almost"...just "never".

hey
agree with you archimedes... its sad.. the health care problems in khi. edhi's doin a great job.. i wonder whose gonna follow up when he'll be gone.

whats up with all this larai jhagra on india/pak... stop it yaar.. chill ppl

peace out

Members don't see this ad :)
Archimedes said:
Do you know that Edhi is the only one out there that's got ambulances on the road?? And he's a volunteer!!!!

Yeah, and if you ever see those ambulances on the road with its sirens blazin', not only do other drivers on the road not stop, but they actually attempt to get in its way or follow behind it at the same speed!

That's dignity for ya.

Hey maybe one of us successful Pakistani doctors(inshallah) can start up one of those philanthropist organizations to better Pakistan's health system. Do Like Edhi. That should be our motto.

Docta "O" said:
Hey maybe one of us successful Pakistani doctors(inshallah) can start up one of those philanthropist organizations to better Pakistan's health system. Do Like Edhi. That should be our motto.
what a great thought!!!! are you a med student????

Shaz said:
Yeah, and if you ever see those ambulances on the road with its sirens blazin', not only do other drivers on the road not stop, but they actually attempt to get in its way or follow behind it at the same speed!

That's dignity for ya.

:( I know...

And their road side stations with hardly any supplies... I'm amazed at how they continue their efforts... It truly would be wonderful if we could do something--anything--to help when we have the ability to do so, Insha'allah.

Hermit MMood said:
Why be here? because this is the country of human liberty, advancement, prosperity, success, etc etc, i do not consider myself american or paki or desi, i consider myself american-pakistani because i am not fully pakistani or american in tradition, much like many american-pakistanis.

I am American 100 percent too. It is unwise to fully support a cause or idea without fully understanding the history/repercussions/background etc that are implicated in the situation.

I believe that a person should not be spoon-fed food raw information without checking the validacy of the statement and understanding the entire story. It is unwise to listen to one side of a story and completely ignore the other side. In the case of Iraq, this applies. Most people do not fully understand the deeper, more profound reasons for actions, not because they are incompetent but because they are ignorant. Its not always a fight between the good side and the bad side. Historically, every superpower (and regular country) has had its censorship, propaganda, lies, and deceptions and does so in large for the greater benefit of the country whether it be politically, militarry, econmically, even if the reaons are selfish.

To take your example that if we invaded Pakistan or India, you would stand behind the U S 100 percent. 65 years ago, we put Japanese Americans in internment camps. 45 years ago we only gained TRUE rights for colored people. If rash, unthought statements are made like this, then you become another drone following its master.

As for the iraqi regime, i won't argue that with you because we clearly have our differences but historically we couldn't defeat the Koreans, and Vietnamese in two different wars. The platitude that goes "history repeats itself" is so well known because its true. The rest of the CIVILIZED world and 50 percent of Americans (talk about unity) fiercely went against the war, doesn't that tell you something? What's next? Removal of the right to free speech, the right to a jury? What? Are we turning into a new dystopia?

BTW, pointing at the poll, troops seem to agree because they are mostly Republicans (most from the South) so you cannot accurately depict what the troops really think there.

I don't think we liberated 10s of millions because after Iraq was considered a success, I do not see the WMDs, I only sees tens of thousands of civilians dead, a new corrupt government even worse than Saddam's, and 10s of millions still fighting (look at fallujah what a failure that was)

Please leave and go to the "civilized" world. "BTW, pointing at the poll, troops seem to agree because they are mostly Republicans (most from the South) so you cannot accurately depict what the troops really think there. " Nit wit.

flash said:
Please leave and go to the "civilized" world. "BTW, pointing at the poll, troops seem to agree because they are mostly Republicans (most from the South) so you cannot accurately depict what the troops really think there. " Nit wit.
see now you're just throwing insults everywhere

not everywhere, just at you. Actually, I take back the isult...truly. I don't think you get the absurdity of your post - too bad.

God Bless the USA.

flash said:
not everywhere, just at you. Actually, I take back the isult...truly. I don't think you get the absurdity of your post - too bad.

God Bless the USA.
HEY BANN THIS FLASH
SALA
BIGGEST FOOL OF 2005..NO I AM NOT TO U FLASH I AM WITH ME

.....................Why does everyone stoop down to the level of pointless argument?

yeah you guys!! arent we hear to discuss med school and encourage each other for that???!!!!
lets talk more about whose doing what to enhance their applications and where everyone is from and stuff like that! we started this thread to keep the pak pre-med community kicking ....lets DO THAT!!
ALL THE BEST EVERYONE :D

I'm a Pakistani pre-med but I'm having second thoughts about it. I'm actually kind of looking for some advice about doing pre-med...I think a fellow Paki will be able to help me with some problems I'm going through (since it's cultural.) If anyone is willing to help me out, please PM me.

AzAm34 said:
I started to laugh out loud in the library when I saw that an innocent "who here is Pakistani" thread bursted into flames...how typical ;)

Yeah I'm a Paki, I'm in SoCal as well.

HEY! Im in IRVINE too, how cool!!!!!

Which school do you go to?

Yeaaaaaay!
I got so excited after seeing this thread and finding more Pakis out there! lol skipped completely through the political outbursts, I just wanna meet some more ppl I can relate with! Hmm I'm not premed anymore though, but I'm glad to see everyone here and wanted to say goood luck with interviews/MCATs/sucking up to get LORs (don't worry, medschool isn't so bad once you're actually in!). Take care everyone, Salaaaaam! :)

Hey all, I am also paki, proud of it. I'm with DesiQ, skipped all the jargon just so i could get to talk to ppl like me, with simialr premed woes. So hows it goin all, I myself will be applying in 2006, and will take the MCAT either this Aug or in april. Good Luck all, ohh yea im from NYC and got to boston u.

1,270 views!!
78 replies??
huh

DrAliyah said:
HEY! Im in IRVINE too, how cool!!!!!

Which school do you go to?

Wow, you must be oozing of sexiness :)

Anyone in VA? Or am I the only one?

im pakistani...and im a pre-med...thought id join the fun too; so whos takin the april 05 mcat with me.

Any of you guys international students in US? Where are you applying?

pakistani here....thinking of applying to med school in the uk and carribbean.

any one apply to aga khan and get in?

pnp366 said:

I didn't apply to schools in the UK/Car.

Aga Khan is an amazing school, though I didn't apply there either... I have friends who go there or went there and loved it. :thumbup:

:eek:

Has anyone else experienced the rather critical attitude of desi moms and aunties?

My brother got married in early June... I took the April MCAT and was naturally stressed, so I got a pimple or two and gained maybe five or six pounds. To relieve MCAT stress, I went hiking, biking, and running outdoors quite a bit, so I got a nice tan (how dare I get any darker -- it's all about being tall, thin, and fair).

THE AUNTIES AND TO SOME DEGREE MY OWN MOTHER FREAKED OUT... They urged me to clear my skin, lose weight, and avoid the sun.

At the wedding, RANDOM people came up to me and said, "hey, you're not fat! your skin looks fine! what was everyone talking about?"

Um, yeah. Our culture is funny.

pnp366 said:

hi there,
i was at Aga Khan for six months, but moved to the U.S to get a B.S degree first! (dont ask me why!)...im kinda regretting it now...cos med school here is such an ordeeeaaalll]!!!
anyways, Aga Khan is an incredible school and alot of my friends who will be graduating from there soon have had an amazing training, competetive enough to survive and compete for residencies here in the U.S but Aga Khan takes very few foreign students because it really focuses on giving the best students in pakistan a chance first. i only know of a couple of americans who got in. so its pretty selective that way. but it sure is the best school in pakistan!! :D

Ambs said:

Has anyone else experienced the rather critical attitude of desi moms and aunties?

My brother got married in early June... I took the April MCAT and was naturally stressed, so I got a pimple or two and gained maybe five or six pounds. To relieve MCAT stress, I went hiking, biking, and running outdoors quite a bit, so I got a nice tan (how dare I get any darker -- it's all about being tall, thin, and fair).

THE AUNTIES AND TO SOME DEGREE MY OWN MOTHER FREAKED OUT... They urged me to clear my skin, lose weight, and avoid the sun.

At the wedding, RANDOM people came up to me and said, "hey, you're not fat! your skin looks fine! what was everyone talking about?"

yeah its a funny culture, random ppl asking lol

I havent gotten to the desi uncles/aunties stage yet... but my mom has started giving subtle hints...

Ambs said:

INSHAALLAH we can END this ******ed mindset and hopefully not pass it onto our kids!! LoL I think the worst is the eyebrow inspection.. I can't even begin to explain the scrutiny of my friggin' EYEBROWS! "Oh your eyebrows look horrible, you need to get them shaped!" No sympathy :( . Going to pakistan is just a bigger ordeal- seeing cousins/uncles/aunts for the first time in years, and the first comment you get "oh my you've gotten so fat! you need to lose weight.. you'll never get married now.." hahaha as if it's completely hopeless unless you look like Aishwarya. Ah well, desis.. u gotta love 'em. :thumbup:

talk about it.

i lost a few pouonds and gained them back,my mom is hounding me to loose them asap. cause shaadi season is coming up

wtf? what happened to 'study'

Shaz said:

That's dignity for ya.

Hey, SWWEEETTT avatar!! YA-ALI!!! Half paki and persian here.

Hey A Non-traditional med paki here

Believe me I am having the worst time with all the aunties. They want me married so bad while I decided to go to medical school after finishing masters and now everyone is telling me that no guy will ever marry me if I keep studying because guys don't like their wives more educated than them. :rolleyes:

awww....i feel you dude!! I think its our culture, but you know what....dont let that get in the way of your dreams!!! .I have the same feeling that paki guys get intimidated with educated girls...but trust me...there are PLENTY of paki guys who are NOT LIKE THAT...i personally know quite a few who are looking for highly educated gals..so dont you worry..i know the aunties can be really really annoying with their comments, but in the end, its all gonna be worth it for you! all the best.....keep that chin up!!!

:)

shuzee said:
awww....i feel you dude!! I think its our culture, but you know what....dont let that get in the way of your dreams!!! .I have the same feeling that paki guys get intimidated with educated girls...but trust me...there are PLENTY of paki guys who are NOT LIKE THAT...i personally know quite a few who are looking for highly educated gals..so dont you worry..i know the aunties can be really really annoying with their comments, but in the end, its all gonna be worth it for you! all the best.....keep that chin up!!!

:)
Thanks a lot for that nice comment. I really appreciate it. Inshallah one of these days we will all be colleagues. :D

blz said:
paki girls= hot!!!! :wow:

What are you smoking?

of the middle east onward I'd have to say
1. Lebanese girls
2. Korean girls

4 Ever said:
Have you even looked at the topic of this thread? It has nothing to do with medicine

All of you are wrong. First of all, "desi" is a punjabi term. Punjab was split between Pakistan and India, and granted Punjabi culture is all but dead in Pakistan, they still have every right to use the term to describe themselves.

Second, Pakistan was carved out of India. It's common sense. They weren't coincidentally "founded" on the same date. If you believe that, explain the mass migrations of the Partition.

Third, India fired the first shot in 2 of the 3 wars. This is why you don't imply things like "all freedom fighters are terrorists." It's a slippery slope. Technically, India started 2 of the 3 wars, but at what provocation?

Fourth, Urdu and Hindi did not find their roots from Persia. From the point ancient Aryans invaded to Alexander the Great's conquest, the aryan blood mixed with the local peoples while the south remained dravidian. When the Mughal Empire began forming, urdu was the resultant mix of hindi and arabic. The Persian empire has little to nothing to do with the ancestory of Pakistan or India. Get your history straight.

Lastly, Muslims start the problems? How about the targeted massacre in Gujurat?

So Hindus start them? Wait, how about the random trains wiped out of any life during the Partition?

Both you guys are more similar than you would like to believe.

Crete said:
All of you are wrong. First of all, "desi" is a punjabi term. Punjab was split between Pakistan and India, and granted Punjabi culture is all but dead in Pakistan, they still have every right to use the term to describe themselves.

Second, Pakistan was carved out of India. It's common sense. They weren't coincidentally "founded" on the same date. If you believe that, explain the mass migrations of the Partition.

Third, India fired the first shot in 2 of the 3 wars. This is why you don't imply things like "all freedom fighters are terrorists." It's a slippery slope. Technically, India started 2 of the 3 wars, but at what provocation?

Fourth, Urdu and Hindi did not find their roots from Persia. From the point ancient Aryans invaded to Alexander the Great's conquest, the aryan blood mixed with the local peoples while the south remained dravidian. When the Mughal Empire began forming, urdu was the resultant mix of hindi and arabic. The Persian empire has little to nothing to do with the ancestory of Pakistan or India. Get your history straight.

Lastly, Muslims start the problems? How about the targeted massacre in Gujurat?

So Hindus start them? Wait, how about the random trains wiped out of any life during the Partition?

Both you guys are more similar than you would like to believe.

Please tell me how is Punjabi culture dead in Pakistan. Being a Punjabi and a Pakistani I have seen punjabi culture every where. Pakistan was not carved out of India, yes it is a part of Indian Subcontinent which was split in two during 1947.
Did you know Urdu is a turkish word which means army. You know why it was called Urdu, because it was the language created when armies from different parts of Iran, Tashkent, Kabul and India conversed with each other. Did you also know that Mogul emperors used to speak persian. May be you do because you know that babar had his empire first in Kabul and also that Humayoon stayed in Iran for 10 yrs and around that time Akbar was born. The basic difference between Urdu and Hindi is that Hindi uses more sanskrit based words while Urdu uses more Persian based word. Look at classical Urdu Literature "Tauba tu Nasooh", "Mirat ul Uroos", "Fasan-e-Mubtila", "Musadas-e-Hali" and if you can tell me that you can understand the language used in these without knowing persian and just on the basis of Hindi or Arabic then I will admit that yes Urdu has no basis in Persian language. If you ever look at "Dewan-e-Hafiz" and then look at "Dewan-e-Ghalib" you will find out the similarities between Urdu and Persian.
Btw I belong to a family where my grand parents suffered from the train attacks when they were trying to move from Jalindhar to Lahore at the night of 1947. Out of 14000 on that train less than 5000 reached Lahore. And you know what, it was the night of August 14, 1947 so the attackers couldn't have done it to revenge IF something happened on the side of Pakistan first. In fact even if something happened on the side of Pakistan it started after the Pakistanis saw the trains that came from India. Please don't base your judgment of who started killing on some Hindi movies.

Yes Indian and Pakistanis might be similar because of some common roots but so as Iranis and Afghanis and all the Arabs (so what). I don't get why Indians get so upset when Pakistanis call themselves Pakistanis. The split happened get over it. Pakistan is a seperate country why can't you just accept it. Even though Afghanistan was a part of Iran I have never seen an Irani being upset over the fact that an Afghani calls himself Afghani. Why Indians had to come to this thread to argue the fact that Pakistan was part of India? It happened Pakistan was founded in 1947 and it will remain as Pakistan until the day of Judgment.

Has anyone seen Hotel Rwanda?

myfavred said:
Please tell me how is Punjabi culture dead in Pakistan. Being a Punjabi and a Pakistani I have seen punjabi culture every where. Pakistan was not carved out of India, yes it is a part of Indian Subcontinent which was split in two during 1947.
Did you know Urdu is a turkish word which means army. You know why it was called Urdu, because it was the language created when armies from different parts of Iran, Tashkent, Kabul and India conversed with each other. Did you also know that Mogul emperors used to speak persian. May be you do because you know that babar had his empire first in Kabul and also that Humayoon stayed in Iran for 10 yrs and around that time Akbar was born. The basic difference between Urdu and Hindi is that Hindi uses more sanskrit based words while Urdu uses more Persian based word. Look at classical Urdu Literature "Tauba tu Nasooh", "Mirat ul Uroos", "Fasan-e-Mubtila", "Musadas-e-Hali" and if you can tell me that you can understand the language used in these without knowing persian and just on the basis of Hindi or Arabic then I will admit that yes Urdu has no basis in Persian language. If you ever look at "Dewan-e-Hafiz" and then look at "Dewan-e-Ghalib" you will find out the similarities between Urdu and Persian.
Btw I belong to a family where my grand parents suffered from the train attacks when they were trying to move from Jalindhar to Lahore at the night of 1947. Out of 14000 on that train less than 5000 reached Lahore. And you know what, it was the night of August 14, 1947 so the attackers couldn't have done it to revenge IF something happened on the side of Pakistan first. In fact even if something happened on the side of Pakistan it started after the Pakistanis saw the trains that came from India. Please don't base your judgment of who started killing on some Hindi movies.

Yes Indian and Pakistanis might be similar because of some common roots but so as Iranis and Afghanis and all the Arabs (so what). I don't get why Indians get so upset when Pakistanis call themselves Pakistanis. The split happened get over it. Pakistan is a seperate country why can't you just accept it. Even though Afghanistan was a part of Iran I have never seen an Irani being upset over the fact that an Afghani calls himself Afghani. Why Indians had to come to this thread to argue the fact that Pakistan was part of India? It happened Pakistan was founded in 1947 and it will remain as Pakistan until the day of Judgment.

Since when did Punjabi culture include the burka? Or the OFFICIAL implementation of Sharia? The ban of alcohol? Keeping women off the dance floor? All these things are what my good Pakistani Punjabi friends have told me of from first-hand experience. I couldn't care less whether you "rediscover" your roots once you emigrate from Pakistan. I'm talking about Pakistan itself.

I also couldn't care less about you being Pakistani. You are your own country and that's fine. But get your facts straight. If you want to argue the effect Mughal rulers had on the culture of the subcontinent go right ahead, but don't confuse that with the ancestory of the region, which is a completely different topic.

Your examples of Persian similarities only reinforce my originial statement. Urdu is the result of Arabic being mixed with the indigenous language.

I've seen a whole of 2 Hindi movies in my life. What I base my statements on is fact. From the BBC to Punjabi historians from both sides, there is an incomparable amount of evidence that ethnic attacks started from the Pakistani side. But go read my last post before you lambast me about my biases. Your last two paragraphs show the chip you have on your shoulder while my comments stress that this happened 50 years ago so move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.