Any Pakistani Pre-Meds Out There..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Crete said:
Since when did Punjabi culture include the burka? Or the OFFICIAL implementation of Sharia? The ban of alcohol? Keeping women off the dance floor? All these things are what my good Pakistani Punjabi friends have told me of from first-hand experience. I couldn't care less whether you "rediscover" your roots once you emigrate from Pakistan. I'm talking about Pakistan itself.

I also couldn't care less about you being Pakistani. You are your own country and that's fine. But get your facts straight. If you want to argue the effect Mughal rulers had on the culture of the subcontinent go right ahead, but don't confuse that with the ancestory of the region, which is a completely different topic.

Your examples of Persian similarities only reinforce my originial statement. Urdu is the result of Arabic being mixed with the indigenous language.

I've seen a whole of 2 Hindi movies in my life. What I base my statements on is fact. From the BBC to Punjabi historians from both sides, there is an incomparable amount of evidence that ethnic attacks started from the Pakistani side. But go read my last post before you lambast me about my biases. Your last two paragraphs show the chip you have on your shoulder while my comments stress that this happened 50 years ago so move on.

Punjabi culture doesn't include women off of dance floor and punjabi culture doesn't ban serving alcohol, Islamic teachings do. You can divide punjabi culture into Muslim and non-muslim punjabi culture (a parallel of which is found in arab culture). The term culture usually includes more than beer and dance. It usually includes a language, form of arts and crafts and traditions. The story of heer ranjha didn't mention dance floors and alcohol yet it is one of the most famous story of punjabi culture. If culture for you means dancing and alcohol then that culture never survived in Pakistan but, if it means arts, traditions, foods, festivals then yes it is alive in Pakistan. Basant is still celebrated in Lahore and other parts of Punjab when mustard flowers bloom. Heer Waris shah is still read in villages, people still talk about the love stories of Sohni Mahinwal and most important of all we still speak in Punjabi.
Fourth, Urdu and Hindi did not find their roots from Persia.
You have posted the above statement in your original post. So I just answered it. Ofcourse the Indian sub continent had its roots. Even before the time Muhammad Bin Qasim invaded sindh to save the arab merchants from Raja Dahir. However Indian subcontinent was divided into small states in fact the first time it was united after Ashok was under Akbar's rule. I just stated the fact the Hindi is more influenced by Sanskrit and Urdu is more influenced by Farsi.

I agree that this happened fifty years ago in fact if you read all of this thread you would realize that the whole debate about India and Pakistan was started by an Indian. You think we Pakistanis really care about proving the seperation of Pakistan and India. No, we don't have to prove it, it is there. In fact I probably wouldn't have posted about it but I did because after all the Indian debates died you decided to revive it. Being a Punjabi I decided to correct you about your idea of Punjabi culture in Pakistan. That is all. I have lived in a pakistani punjabi culture. So I know that it is alive. About that chip on my shoulder I don't see anything wrong in saying that my country will remain till the day of judgment. Do you? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey people.. I didn't know the thread was re-emerged.. Well, I just have changed my major to government/international politics and am still a pre-med. I hope this is a great decision that I have taken. Well what about you all, how is everything going with studies and Mcat Preps.

I just saw this thread. I'm pakistani! hehe.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh my goodness there is a freaking WAR on this thread. and here i am all excited that there are pakistani premeds!

Paki here........representing NYC.......How are all u guys doing?
Punjabi mundai pao bhangra!!

yo, I'm punjabi Paki. this thread is weak, you guys are losers to come on the internet and fight about stupid bull****. I've banged plenty of Indo girls, we're all family!

Umm, how about we stay away from announcing our sexual histories here.

Anyway, seeing how much our culture values the medical profession, how many of you felt heavily pressured by your families to become a doctor?

bravotwozero said:

Anyway, seeing how much our culture values the medical profession, how many of you felt heavily pressured by your families to become a doctor?

Don't feel any pressure, but see the strong inclination towards. Sometimes I feel if someone announces any profession aside from medicine and engineering people are gonna be like "whaaaaat?!"

dangg i thought this thread was dead long ago...
well now its alive again!

bravotwozero said:

oh yeahhh
they made me do undergrad in engineering and now med!
mini-hitlers!! jk

OMG ...paki girl from nor cal. LOL This thread seriously made me laugh out loud. "Can't we all just get along?" (guess not)

Some people out there are just way too heated about this topic...it's funny though...it reminds of my grandmother talking trash about everyone else except karachi people. :p

But yea, i think a lot of us have tons of influence from our elders to go into medicine, but come on..i think the drive must come from within to go all the way.

Ok so heres somethin to talk about. who all are going to pak this summer? Excited? Watcha gonna do there? Im goin to khi hopefully. Cant hardly wait for summer. :)

pakidoc said:
Ok so heres somethin to talk about. who all are going to pak this summer? Excited? Watcha gonna do there? Im goin to khi hopefully. Cant hardly wait for summer. :)

khi!!!!!!!!!!!!! my home!!!!! was born and raised there....miss it terribly now :( :( :(
hope you have a wonderful time....! and if youre a foodie....dont miss the village and Lal Qila!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
pakidoc said:
Pakistan in the summer homie..forget the south beach and atkins ..the best diet anyone can go on...come back 15 lbs. lighter gaurandamnteed. what is Khi? Have fun pakidoc.

Bigsheed920 said:
Pakistan in the summer homie..forget the south beach and atkins ..the best diet anyone can go on...come back 15 lbs. lighter gaurandamnteed. what is Khi? Have fun pakidoc.

khi=karachi....its in the southern part of Pakistan and the most developed city of the country!

I would love to go to Karachi in the summer, but I hate the horrible humidity.

Shuzee-- the Village is awesome! Food and location wise!!!

shuzee said:
khi=karachi....its in the southern part of Pakistan and the most developed city of the country!
shuzee i am from pk also........just didnt realize khi was karachi.......i thought acronym would be KRI.....peeace

pakidoc said:

Have fun! I was there last June ;)

Out of random curiosity, how many of you will begin medical school this fall single/committed relationship/engaged/married?

where u going to school ambs?

Bigsheed920 said:
where u going to school ambs?

I'm undecided. I'll PM you.

shuzee said:
khi!!!!!!!!!!!!! my home!!!!! was born and raised there....miss it terribly now :( :( :(
hope you have a wonderful time....! and if youre a foodie....dont miss the village and Lal Qila!!!!!!!!!

oh maaan i used to live right near the beach in defence, the village was practially across the street from my place... miss the village, zamzama, boat basin, bbq tonite. oh the memories :rolleyes:

Ambs said:
Out of random curiosity, how many of you will begin medical school this fall single/committed relationship/engaged/married?

knowing us pakistanis im guessing most will be single
well i will be!

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as pakidoc. Which means i probably won't be tying the knot till age 29 :(

I don't think guys should get married until they are about 35. I don't see a problem with having some fun and then settling down after a couple years of practicing. Just my two cent....

WERD11 said:
I don't think guys should get married until they are about 35. I don't see a problem with having some fun and then settling down after a couple years of practicing. Just my two cent....

khi-born, US-raised here,

i don't see a problem with guys doing that either... as long they don't think less of girls who did the same. can't have any double standards.

WERD11 said:

my parents want grandkids asap lol.
35 is way too old dont you think.

pakidoc said:
oh maaan i used to live right near the beach in defence, the village was practially across the street from my place... miss the village, zamzama, boat basin, bbq tonite. oh the memories :rolleyes:

BBQ tonight -- yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

JuicyDay said:
khi-born, US-raised here,

i don't see a problem with guys doing that either... as long they don't think less of girls who did the same. can't have any double standards.

ya, no double standards, I mean if a female wanted to wait til she was older to get married and start a family that's chill with me. I just don't think its a good strategy for girls, since at 35 I think I would still be looking for someone in their mid-twenties and not a 35 year old wife.

pakidoc said:
my parents want grandkids asap lol.
i agree with you, but 35 is a bit too old dont you think. 29-30 sounds better.

I dunno, honestly I think 35 is a good age. Plenty of guys wait til then to marry. we'll see what happens.

WERD11 said:
ya, no double standards, I mean if a female wanted to wait til she was older to get married and start a family that's chill with me. I just don't think its a good strategy for girls, since at 35 I think I would still be looking for someone in their mid-twenties and not a 35 year old wife.

oh, i meant double standards on the "fool around and then settle down after a few years of practicing" part. i definitely agree with you that women should be getting married earlier, but only if they want kids. can't be getting pregnant post-35 and expect no complications due to age!

ahh spring break is finally here!!! hope you guys/gals are enjoyin yourselves. :D

ive been doin some reading on specialities. im kinda inclined towards internal medicine or radiology right now. heres something i didnt know, the number of pakistani doctors in my city is highest in IM as compared to other fields.

i know its too early, but what specialities are you guys thinking of?

pakidoc said:
ahh spring break is finally here!!! hope you guys/gals are enjoyin yourselves. :D

ive been doin some reading on specialities. im kinda inclined towards internal medicine or radiology right now. heres something i didnt know, the number of pakistani doctors in my city is highest in IM as compared to other fields.

i know its too early, but what specialities are you guys thinking of?

i wanna do orthopaedic surgery and sports medicine. Optha and radiolgoy look pretty chill too, so mite do that.

Thus far, I like interventional cardiology. :love: So, I'd be doing IM first any way.

I also have looked into ophthalmology... I haven't had much experience with it, besides the standard shadowing, so I'm not sure.

I wonder what our choices will be three years from now! :D

so for those of you have already been accepted to med school, are your parents calling you, "Dr. Sahaab?"

Ambs said:
Thus far, I like interventional cardiology. :love: So, I'd be doing IM first any way.

I also have looked into ophthalmology... I haven't had much experience with it, besides the standard shadowing, so I'm not sure.

I wonder what our choices will be three years from now! :D

yeah, they say that 60% of med students change what they initially decided to do in 3rd & 4th year...

if i do IM, ill probably do cardio. Dil ka daaktar banoon ga (agar koi ap ka dil torre, you know who to go to!) ;) ;)

whtdasheezy, now thats just being narcissistic, dont think my parents would do that

whtdasheezy said:
so for those of you have already been accepted to med school, are your parents calling you, "Dr. Sahaab?"

not yet, not yet. hopefully in four years! :D

my mom calls me dr. sahaab sometimes, but always in a really sarcastic way -like when I screw up.

Its used to be pretty flattering but now its kinda embaressing...but still kinda cool :D

Holla

WERD11 said:
my mom calls me dr. sahaab sometimes, but always in a really sarcastic way -like when I screw up.

Ambs said:

started single, still single, probably will graduate single :scared:
LooL.. but for those of you who are married/engaged, how do you make time for your spouse/fiance with the workload in medschool? Esp. third & fourth years? I feel like I barely have enough time to take care of myself, let alone another person.

DesiQ said:
started single, still single, probably will graduate single :scared:
LooL.. but for those of you who are married/engaged, how do you make time for your spouse/fiance with the workload in medschool? Esp. third & fourth years? I feel like I barely have enough time to take care of myself, let alone another person.

not only that... if one ties the knot right after medschool, how does one find time for their other half through the grueling residency... 80 hrs a week, 18 hr shifts... :mad:

another pakistani in the house

Thanks for reviving the dhaaga pakidoc!....so how many paks are appying this year?? Im planning to send in my application by the end of this month....so wanted to see who else is in my boat!
take care everyone and good luck!

Hi everyone!

Good luck and don't get bogged down!

wazzup yaaaa'll

shuzee... good luck on your mcat, 1 week! :thumbup:

what r u all doin these days? chillin? studying already? working? this summer is goin pretty boring for me. plan to go to pak was cancelled. now im just attending weddings n social functions and goin thru ******ed interviews :mad:
hope your summer has been more productive.

Hi fellow paki's,

If any of you guys are fans of Raghav, check out his interview at this website/online-TV thing. They have nice shows on there too. Enjoy!

www.desivision.tv

Status
Not open for further replies.