Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Any PCOM residents.

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Diane L. Evans, Apr 3, 2002.

1. I'm going to be in Phila 4/9-4/14/02 attending the ASIM conference and I am scheduled to tour PCOM. I'd love an insiders oppinion.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Shark

Shark Member

If you are speaking about the Med School I can tell you that for the most part, the 1st two years are very strong. Easily has the best anatomy course in the city. The anatomy department is really strong! Pathology is also very strong! Some of the weak courses are: Physiology and Immunology.

In regards to the 3rd and 4th years, PCOM used to have great sites. They are unfortunately losing sites at a fast pace. As long as you stay out of the PCOM system sites your o.k. It is getting easier to go outside of the system though. One impressive thing is that once you are at other hospitals with students from other schools, PCOM students stand out. Our students do have a great reputation in the clinical scene.

4. adjsmj

adjsmj Member

Shark is the ENT program in the PCOM system and if so are they in danger of losing it? Why are they losing so many programs?

5. Docgeorge

Docgeorge Bent Over and Violated

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hey shark, if you had to choose between NYCOM and PCOM which one would you choose?

6. Shark

Shark Member

In response to the last two posts: ENT is in the PCOM system. I don't know a ton about it but I do know some residents in the program. They LOVE it! The ENT program is apparently very strong. The only thing with getting a PCOM residency is that they make you do their internship which has really gotten bad. Look at the AOA match results this year. Out of approx. 42 spots they only matched 18. That tells you something. Now, they will fill some through the scramble but the real question is: Why don't PCOM students want to do their own internship?? At least one of the answers is that they have lost hospitals that they previously rotated through and b/c they don't have enough interns the call schedule is horrible. They have also lost rotation sites available for the third and fourth year students b/c they are unwilling to pay for clinical teaching. As a student, one wonders where all of the tuition money goes!! All that being said, the first two years are very strong! PCOM has a great reputation everywhere. I don't know much about NYCOM. I have met some students and they don't have anything great or bad to say. I do remember when I was applying that I was told PCOM is one of the best if not the very best. What that means, I don't know. Go where you think you fit in best. It's really how much work you put in, not where you go.

7. adjsmj

adjsmj Member

Shark,
    Thanks for the reply do you know anything about the ENT program in New Jersey?

8. Shark

Shark Member

I'm sorry I don't.