Any PCOM students: Just where is the Manyunk section of Philly?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by roger2004, Feb 29, 2000.

1. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Looking into housing options for PCOM and have read the Manayunk section is near PCOM while being more affordable and nicer than other areas. I have not be able to find out exactly what area comprises Manayunk. I've looked at maps etc but no luck. I have some listings for Philly which look interesting: South 47th St., Spruce St., and Pine St.. However, being in central PA, I have no idea where these listings are (and what the area is like) other than doing a Mapquest place to place route via the internet. WHAT STREETS/AREA OF PHILLY EXACTLY COMPRISES MANAYUNK? AND HOW FAR A DRIVE IS IT TO PCOM? Do you like the area? And what is this park I keep hearing about which is in Manayunk as well? One last thing, is the Presidential Towers near the school and is it to be recommended? (that's another name which keeps coming up) I'm looking for roommates so I hope to find a 2 or 3 bedroom place in Manayunk if that works out. Thanks and good luck to everyone else who is in the same boat right now!

------------------

rog

[This message has been edited by roger2004 (edited 02-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by roger2004 (edited 03-01-2000).]

2. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Rog-

I can't give you all that much information. I go to school at USP, which is on South 42nd. The area around 47th and Spruce/Pine is nice. Even near where I am now isn't bad...45th around Spruce, Pine, and Chestnut. The drive from here is 10-15 minutes to PCOM. Hope this helps a little.

3. KennyP

KennyP Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Manayunk is about a ten minute drive from PCOM during early morning traffic. I live in East Falls (Roxborough) which is the town next door to Manayunk. Pine Street and the other area you mentioned are closer to Center City. I know some students that live around there and the commute is not too bad. If you are looking for listings near the school or in Manayunk, look for City Avenue listings or listings on Main Street in Manayunk. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me.

------------------
    Keneth C.Plowey (PCOM MS1)
    [email protected]

4. amyb

amyb SDN Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Roger -

I think I told you my opinion on Presidential City, don't go there! It is just too much of a headache although it is close - only have w/d on the first floor of every building, maintenence is non-existent if you need them, the people that work there invented attitude and BITCHY personalities, and the elevators are ungodly slow and a pain in the ass when you are in a hurry. Did I mention that the people that work there are total BITCHES after you move in?

Amy : )

5. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Amy,
    thanks for the info on the Presidential City Complex- It's OFF my list!!!!

------------------

rog