Any pearls of wisdom for new interns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iqureshi7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any pearls of wisdom for us new incoming interns. More specifically, what is important to be an excellent intern?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone has any pearls of wisdom for us new incoming interns. More specifically, what is important to be an excellent intern?

Thanks in advance!

Show up on time, stay as long as it takes to get the work done, take thorough histories, cover for each other when required, don't whine, don't be afraid to ask for help.

Early during the year, don't concentrate so much on how fast you are doing things, but just worry about doing a good and thorough evaluation. You'll get faster as the year goes on. But either way, you'll get more positive feedback when doing a complete job over doing it quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Early during the year, don't concentrate so much on how fast you are doing things, but just worry about doing a good and thorough evaluation. You'll get faster as the year goes on. But either way, you'll get more positive feedback when doing a complete job over doing it quickly.

Right, but I'm scared I won't have enough time to do a good job. I started rounding at 530 as student to make sure I did a good job on 4 patients. Residents carry a lot more than 4 patients :eek: So, I'll be glad to start rounding earlier, but there's not THAT much earlier that I can start rounding!

Sike, was that for psych pts?? I can't even imagine the inpts I worked with being anywhere near responsive at 5:30am... It will all come together, don't worry. Just think of all the interns who've gone before and survived (and most of us with the same fears you are voicing). This is the same sort of useless advice I heard before I started, but really it just takes going through it to see that you will make it. :)

To the OP - be teachable, eager to listen and learn. Don't get too hung up on showing everything you know and being right all the time (i.e., be receptive to what others more senior than you have to offer). Have a good attitude, be fun to work with, and I second Doc Samson - DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP!!!! That's the whole point of training and being an intern. There's nothing more dangerous than someone who doesn't know their limits and when to call an audible.

Call up the current or new Chief & Program director on anything you can do ahead of time to prepare.

Try to get a feel for how open the attendings are to resident feedback. Depending on the program, some programs want residents to be in fear & will fully do anything to keep them in line even if unfair. Others are very open & lax & want to hear what the residents have to say.

Get advice from senior residents.

Don't contribute to the gossip mill.

I'm about to finish my psychiatry residency and I think the advice already posted is very good. I would carry the following with you in the begining:

Handbook of Psychiatric Drugs, 2008 Edition

Psychiatry 2008 (Current Clinical Strategies)

Interview Guide for Evaluating Dsm-IV Psychiatric Disorders and the Mental Status Examination

Pocket Medicine: The Massachusetts General Hospital Handbook of Internal Medicine

This is your time to absorb as much as you can and never be afraid to ask questions. Read as much as you have time for. If you're on-call and you're not sure about something, just page a senior resident. It's far better to wake someome up (even it they're a little cranky) than to make a big mistake.

Lastly, you've already shown good judgement. Psychiatry is a fun profession.

Some programs may provide some of the books you are looking for for free. If not that program may have an association with a pharmaceutical rep so that rep can provide them for free. The Kaplan & Sadock Synosis of Psychiatry is usually offered for free by Astra Zeneca reps to PGY-1s.
Check the forums on books that are reccomended for new residents. Several threads exist.

Check the forums on good articles to read for PGY-Is: I suggest CATIE, STEP-BD & STAR*D.

Get your place to live, bank account, utilities (have it paid by automatic bill pay) & car setup before residency starts. These are major headaches to deal if residency started.

Get a lay of the land before the first day. Figure out the place you'll use for groceries & thinks like that.

> The Kaplan & Sadock Synosis of Psychiatry is usually offered for free by Astra Zeneca reps to PGY-1s.

No way! I paid a fortune for that book!

Learn to listen carefully. Do not try to impress or out shine. Be Yourself, respect your patients. Be confident but not arrogant. Enjoy Psychiatry - no poop - no blood. Read and carry DSM IV Hand book.

Have fun.

Best of luck.