Any people of the caucasion heritage applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Z

Zmoody33

Guys im tired of these kind of threads, they're annoying!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, then don't read them.

As for me, I just want to make some connections to ppl with similar background, seeing that I don't see many around my school or my community, let alone other med school applicants.

A) You misspelled Caucasian.
B) Your insecurity is so cute. I love you crazy crackers!

Members don't see this ad :)
boobaunutz said:
lololololol hahahahahaha. that was mean

Excuse me. I'm European American. I think I can actually say that since my grandparents emigrated from Switzerland. PC goes both ways. If it's supposed to be Mexican American, African American, and Cuban American, then I'm European American.

baylormed said:
Well, then don't read them.

As for me, I just want to make some connections to ppl with similar background, seeing that I don't see many around my school or my community, let alone other med school applicants.

I want to make connection to people with different backgrounds so that I can learn others.

Zmoody33 said:
dont read them then.

UCDavisdude said:
dont read them then.

On a scale of annoying, I would rate these style threads as slightly more annoying than the "Can I get into med school with these stats" threads and slightly less annoying than the "Oh my god I just got an A-" threads. :laugh:

Zmoody33 said:

I thought you guys wanted to be called white? :confused: ... j/k

whatever the pc of the day is. Black - white. Mexican American - European American.

Liberty, Justice and Politically Correct Terms for All. (Can you tell I am really sick of all the pc bickering?) I just wanna all be PEOPLE for goodness sakes. But hey, if everyone else is gonna be PC'ers, I will be too. One voice can't make us all just PEOPLE.

I think any question on an app that says 'Race' should only have one correct answer: Human.

ShyRem said:
Excuse me. I'm European American. I think I can actually say that since my grandparents emigrated from Switzerland. PC goes both ways. If it's supposed to be Mexican American, African American, and Cuban American, then I'm European American.

Usually i just go for mexican, black, cuban, and european.

Unless you specifically immigrated from that country....only then do you get a (enter nationality here)-American....if not, then you will be called what you are.

caucasian applying here... :laugh:

I give a :thumbup: for the parody

Members don't see this ad :)
BaylorGuy, I would agree with you. However, that's not how people use the terms anymore. I just want to make sure I'm being PC to all people equally (me included). There are many (MANY) people who use the _____-American term when their ancestors came over to this country 5, 6, 7 generations ago.

hmm. black, white, mexican, cuban.. why is it that blacks and whites get colors but no one else does? I mean, do we call folks with that lovely mediterranean tone to their skin olive? And I think the mexican and cuban folks don't like the word 'brown' to describe themselves. Not really any point to this paragraph, I've just always wondered why only blacks and whites get a color. And really, if I've been in the sun I'm more of a pink than a white.

hahaha, this thread is cool

hmmmmm.... geeee, i don't know if we want to be called white. I know plenty of caucasian people who are pretty tan. I, however, am Russian... well I was born here, but i'm first generation, and since my family is from near the mongolian border, where we must adapt to blend in with the freezing snowy environment so , i don't know, so a polar bear doesn't eat us, I am definitely white. white white white white white.. in the sun i could blind you.. and i am applying to medical school :)

boobaunutz said:

Wait I'm confused, I thought cracker was a racial slur? Does this mean it's ok to use it in daily conversation? I know it makes me sad when people refer to me as a chink =(

I think you're just annoyed because there is no "Caucasian heritage." If there were, it would have to include about, I don't know, almost ALL of the European countries! As far as I'm concerned, mine goes: Nationality=American; Ethicity=Hispanic; Heritage=Honduran

Let's face it, no one knows what's right anymore. When people ask me where I'm from, I say, "Here." Then they get all fumbled and say, "NO, what nationality are you?" I say, "American." They fumble again, and are like," NO, I mean what's you're ethicity,um heritage,um?" Then finally, I have to say," You mean, what's my heritage?" And they go, "YEAH!"
Now, that's what's annoying!!!

Hispanics accounted for about 50% of all births last year here in CA. That's quite a number!

DetectiveChubby said:
Latinas are sexy.

yea, but half-latinas are even sexier ==> jessica alba :love:

Of course latinas are sexy!!! Why do you think so many, "Caucasian," girls spend so much time tanning!

drlatina said:
I think you're just annoyed because there is no "Caucasian heritage." If there were, it would have to include about, I don't know, almost ALL of the European countries! As far as I'm concerned, mine goes: Nationality=American; Ethicity=Hispanic; Heritage=Honduran

Let's face it, no one knows what's right anymore. When people ask me where I'm from, I say, "Here." Then they get all fumbled and say, "NO, what nationality are you?" I say, "American." They fumble again, and are like," NO, I mean what's you're ethicity,um heritage,um?" Then finally, I have to say," You mean, what's my heritage?" And they go, "YEAH!"
Now, that's what's annoying!!!

I don't think this assesment is entirely correct. I would say that nationality is a political reference, as you've noted above. An American citizen is American (American is somewhat of an exception). A German citizen is a German, specifically in the national sense. A Chinese citizen is a Chinese, also specifically in the national sense. The next category is ethnicity, which is a linguistic and *very rarely* religious construct. Jews are Jewish because of their religion, but the national construct is based on something older that was transmitted by the religion: a common language (Hebrew/Aramaic), holidays, etc. Britons are British because their native language is English and they were born and developed in the culture of Britain. The final category is heritage (which is somewhat problematic). This category refers to more ancient *ethnic* groups (again united by language), rather than necessarily racial groups. Thus, Hungarians by heritage may truly be of German or Turk or Slav descent (rather than Uralic), but since they do not possess any concious connection to these ethnicities, we call them Hungarians by heritage. One might say that the "true" Hungarians are those descended of ethnic Uralics, but again this group would have been constructed, on a linguistic basis, from other groups who were not necessarily of a common racial origin.

The problem with your statement that there's no Caucasian heritage is that the same could be said for any racial heritage. What makes you any more "Honduran" than a "Frenchman" "French"? By heritage, you may be of Tzotzil Mayan (I don't know if they exist in Honduras, I am sorry if I'm mistaken) and Basque Iberian mixed) and he may be of Gaulish Celtic and Frankish Germanic origin, or whatver, so where's the difference? If you are going to take it down to either the "ethnic *ethnic*" levels or the "national" levels (e.g. Honduran) it's the same across all countries.

Zmoody33 said:
hey i agree with you. i havent started a thread like this since im indian and such threads already exist, but i was hoping somebody would start one like this, so good work. if people really want a colorblind society and all that, these threads and classifications need to end. but it will never happen. anyway its perfectly valid for a white thread to exist, just like every other group has their own threads.

after looking through the thread im with jtank and shyrem...i think. the question should be race--but i guess the word race is being PCd out of existence. well not by me. people can come up with whatever convoluted labels they want to; its easier to keep things simple and not worry about oversensitive people who get offended or pissed off about everything. if you can never please them why bother.

nationality, ethnicity, and heritage? come on. whats next, subheritage? this is becoming like the taxonomy of lifeforms. incidentally, the rise of hyphenated americanism weakens the american culture. i really hope when americans go abroad they dont identify themselves as hyphenated americans. well i dont know...some president expressed distaste for it and im just echoing that. oh excellent, here it is...
Theodore Roosevelt said:
There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. This is just as true of the man who puts "native" before the hyphen as of the man who puts German or Irish or English or French before the hyphen. Americanism is a matter of the spirit and of the soul. Our allegiance must be purely to the United States. We must unsparingly condemn any man who holds any other allegiance. But if he is heartily and singly loyal to this Republic, then no matter where he was born, he is just as good an American as any one else.

The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic. The men who do not become Americans and nothing else are hyphenated Americans; and there ought to be no room for them in this country. The man who calls himself an American citizen and who yet shows by his actions that he is primarily the citizen of a foreign land, plays a thoroughly mischievous part in the life of our body politic. He has no place here; and the sooner he returns to the land to which he feels his real heart-allegiance, the better it will be for every good American. There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

For an American citizen to vote as a German-American, an Irish-American, or an English-American, is to be a traitor to American institutions; and those hyphenated Americans who terrorize American politicians by threats of the foreign vote are engaged in treason to the American Republic.

Shredder said:
after looking through the thread im with jtank and shyrem...i think.

After looking through this thread, I am with jtank and Dr. Z. Jessica Alba is totally hot.

Also, there is nothing wrong with indentifying with or appreciating one's own heritage. Nothing Un-American about it either. Although, I do recognize that sometimes it leads to political complexities. As long as you recognize that all people are just people, all is good.

Race is a social construct that divides. Referring to others by their color annoys me slightly ('white,' 'black') but it is so ingrained and, in all fairness, it's not just those two (my Indian friends often refer to themselves as 'brown'). I agree that we are all human and all equal, but it is understandable and I think admirable to want to be a part of the culture that is your heritage. This is part of what makes an individual unique, and we identify ourselves by what is important to us. We all have labels that distinguish us as part of some cohort but not another; it becomes a problem when prejudice affects how one treats another based on said label. For example, those that practice a particular religion will incorporate that into their identity and say that they are Christian (e.g.) just as some say they are Chinese-American. For those of us who's ancestors immigrated near the founding of this country, though, it might be easier to identify ourselves as 'American' since our ties to Europe have, in general, broken many many years ago. I still consider my heritage to be Irish, but I don't call myself Irish-American. It's very much an individual choice, though, and if I chose to call myself the latter I would hope that would be respected just as we respect those that call themselves Indian-American, Mexican-American, etc.

That being said, this thread is rather humorous...reminds me very much of a college sociology course discussion. I thought pre-meds could only talk about science and only stressed about sub-A grades. :laugh:

miller13 said:
That being said, this thread is rather humorous...reminds me very much of a college sociology course discussion. I thought pre-meds could only talk about science and only stressed about sub-A grades. :laugh:

Pre-meds have to take social science gen-eds too :laugh:

ShyRem said:
whatever the pc of the day is. Black - white. Mexican American - European American.

Liberty, Justice and Politically Correct Terms for All. (Can you tell I am really sick of all the pc bickering?) I just wanna all be PEOPLE for goodness sakes. But hey, if everyone else is gonna be PC'ers, I will be too. One voice can't make us all just PEOPLE.

I think any question on an app that says 'Race' should only have one correct answer: Human.

:thumbup:

But then again, you have to admit there are some people around for whom even that last categorization is questionable. :rolleyes:

I don't see anything wrong with these threads, because even though we all want diversity and integration, it is a innate feeling to want to relate to people of your same heritage who share a culture with you. So if you want to make a "caucasian", "black", "persian", "greek", or a whatever thread, go ahead.
I have friends from all backgrounds and colors, and I love them all the same. At the same time, I identify with my Hispanic friends because we can share similar histories, food and traditions.

To answer some questions, not all hispanic people refer to themselves as "brown" because not all of us are brown. There are blond people, brown people, and black people among hispanics.
Let's see, so what kind of race am I??? Well, I know some of my ancestors came over from Spain, and I also know there is some Irish blood in the family through my dad's side (quite inexplicable). I also must have ancestors in the native Indians of Mexico, since some of my family members are brown. I have fair skin but my hair and eyes are brown. So, what race am I?
I usually answer "I'm mixed" (Part white part indian), because that's the honest truth, "hispanic" or "mexican" is not exactly a race, since there is so much diversity.
Political Correctness sometimes is taken to an extreme, so get over yourselves and be happy!!! We should learn to see people beyond their skind color or their "nationality" and just treat them as people. Too bad this is not true for most of society and some of us still get stereotyped.

Shredder, I totally agree with TR. And on this MLK day, let us remember his words about not judging a person by the color of their skin but by their character. Until we stop thinking of each other as people of color or nationality (i.e. black, hispanic, mexican-american, african-american, etc.), there will be no true equality. (This opens up a whole other world of aa discussion that had been beaten to death that we really shouldn't go into here.) All this pc-ness is isolating each individual group of people, and while I applaud those who celebrate their heritage (and heaven knows I truly appreciate each heritage - there is an awful lot to learn from history and other cultures that we totally ignore) I think we need to get back to being first and foremost, AMERICAN (if you are a citizen of this country) and PEOPLE.

And seilienne, I agree with you, but that'll get this off on a tangent about the broken legal system, protection of the criminals at the expense of the victims, and the tying of the very hands we scream to protect us. Ah, well... on second thought, they're still human, just severely dysfunctional and usually non-rehabilitatable (sp? looks funny). (hmm.. what makes them that way? genetics? chemical imbalance? physical deformity in the neurons? environment? Another discussion entirely here...)

BrettBatchelor said:
Pre-meds have to take social science gen-eds too :laugh:

What???? I wish someone had told me this sooner! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyone like chicken?

*This IS a hijack.

All kinds of chicken ...
Chicken curry
General Tsao's chicken
Jerk chicken
Chicken vindaloo
Chicken cordon bleu

wow, if you type the word "chicken" enough, it starts to look ridiculous. (ha, kind of like this thread!) People, it's MLK day, for g*d's sake! Can we please let people have unique idenities and be proud of them?!?

I'm having Trader Joe's lemongrass chicken for lunch. Mmmmmmm.

"Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt"

Lawl Shredder. Good post.

I once came close to starting this same thread. I think the parody does make people think. Shyrem is feeling what I am feeling. And yes, I am a causasian who is applying, next june.

Sorry guys. I like chicken but I've recently become ADDICTED to tempeh. That stuff is awesome. And so much less gross than tofu!

I have freckles and blonde hair but my family is Lebanese. I love lamb.

and, prana_md, this is just for you:

Chicken salad BBQ chicken chicken ala king chicken sandwich canned chicken deep fried chicken buttermilk fried chicken tandoori chicken Shin-Shin special chicken pesto chicken pizza Chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken chicken :laugh:

Dear god I've had too much coffee....

Try writing a review paper on PII proteins in a week. AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH! I think I drank ALL of January's exports from Columbia this week.

That's DRINK, not SNORT.

An excerpt from my notes: "Phage-vectored Mu d1 or Tn5 insertion mutants producing results contrary to those in (B) show that cells lacking PII can still produce glutamine synthetase, but that the majority of this enzyme remains nonadenylylated even on nitrogen-rich media (J). Revertants had higher levels of fully adenylylated glutamine synthetase under the same conditions. These effects occur via the NRI protein product of gene glnL: in nitrogen excess PII and NRII dephosphorylate NRI. Phosphorylated NRI is required for transcription of the glnALG operon (K) by the products of glnF and glnG – NRI converts the product of glnG to a form incapable of transcription. In nitrogen deprivation glnD (the UTase) converts PII to inactive PIIUMP, and the form of the glnL product to one that stimulates transcription via glnF and glnG – glnG reverts to a form that stiumulates the glnA promoter. (J)"

Written around 1:30 am this morning. Word.

I have a cookbook: 365 ways to cook chicken. One of them uses 40 cloves of garlic... yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ShyRem said:
I have a cookbook: 365 ways to cook chicken. One of them uses 40 cloves of garlic... yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

yum, I love garlic. I have a recipe for French Farmhouse Chicken that uses 40 cloves of garlic (but you don't unpeel them), and it actually doesn't taste that garlicky at the end. very yummy.

Yum. I'm starving. Is it lunch yet? I don't know what I am, I was adopted. Seriously. But I'm kind of pale, with a lot of freckles. I'm definitely not a Chicken-American. (So don't eat me!)

prana_md said:
Yum. I'm starving. Is it lunch yet? I don't know what I am, I was adopted. Seriously. But I'm kind of pale, with a lot of freckles. I'm definitely not a Chicken-American. (So don't eat me!)
I believe you are of the Caucasian persuasion. If only there were a thread enabling you to meet other Caucasians....
hmmm.....
An aside, Caucasian race is used to refer to people whose ancestry can be traced back to Europe, North Africa, West Asia, South Asia and parts of Central Asia. Though I am Indian I am anthropologically Caucasian.
This thread is so inclusive, just like all MLK day threads should be. I know that's just what the OP had in mind. Yay!

OP, if you find those threads annoying, I guess you don't realize the importance of premeds with different ethnicities trying to find support from those that have the same ethnicity as them. Insecurity? What does that have to do with finding someone with the same heritage as yours? It's simply another form of networking. As mentioned before, if you find those threads annoying, DON'T READ THEM. MOVE ON. They don't apply to you anyway.

ShyRem, White/Black are terms legitimately used when writing in APA Style. :)

ShyRem said:

ummmmmm ok!

yummy chicken. yummy jessica alba.