any persian outcast females out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Stewie said:
Even in middle school when I would ask my parents if I could study something else other than medicine, they would say, "What? So you can become a garbage man?"

Ahhh the garbage man guilt. I think every Persian parent has used that at least on one child. I heard that one before.

Members don't see this ad.

persian moms are always the martyr, anything you do is just to spite them. They've act like they've given up sooo much to make you happy, but they parade you around like a cattle, though sometimes it has its benefits, like the new car they bought b/c Ali Agha got his daughter a car, but of course, your's is newer, bigger, more expensive, w/ all the extras...........
I can probably talk my dad into just about anything, but my mom, there's no budging, what she says is law
If any of you are muslim, do you find it hard to believe the hadith that says something like heaven is at your mother's feet? IF that's true, why does she go out of her way to make me feel bad?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
sunni said:
If any of you are muslim, do you find it hard to believe the hadith that says something like heaven is at your mother's feet? IF that's true, why does she go out of her way to make me feel bad?

hey sunni. do you think your mom is tough on you in that way that she just wants the best for you, but maybe is doing it in a misguided way ? i dunno, i know alot of my friends with a similar parental situation, but over time, their rent/s loosened up alot. and if your mother is going out of her way to make you feel bad, then that's something that maybe you could talk to her about?

i have to admit, i have a really good relationship with my mother, shes like my best friend [i know, cheesy but its true], so i love that hadith. but it took us awhile to get to that place... we were always fighting during high school about random stuff, i.e. how late i could stay out, TV, homework, the phone, the internet, and on and on and on
also, my parents are doctors, and they DIDN'T want me to go into medicine (they wanted me to do like computer science or something), so i didn't get that kind of pressure from them (they tried to disuade me about the lifestyle, and being a woman in medicine, malpractice, the whole nine yards). but if they weren't doctors, i wonder if i would have gotten the pressure b/c it'd be that south asian community "gold standard" occupation that most of my friends get pressured into going.

p.s.--rudi is gone from CNN as of last week. she got engaged to --i forget who-- but whoever it is presents a conflict of interest to her reporting

I am in the process of filling out the AMCAS and it asks about nationality. Has Asian/Islander/White/..

What did you Persian / Middle Eastern folks put?
I'm thinking White?

...you are white.

OnMyWayThere said:
I am in the process of filling out the AMCAS and it asks about nationality. Has Asian/Islander/White/..

What did you Persian / Middle Eastern folks put?
I'm thinking White?
My Afghani friend said she was "Asian/Pacific Islander" on her AMCAS last cycle. According to the Arabs I know, Iran technically isn't part of the Middle East?

TheFlash said:
My Afghani friend said she was "Asian/Pacific Islander" on her AMCAS last cycle. According to the Arabs I know, Iran technically isn't part of the Middle East?

1) Iran is in the middle east, it's just one of the countries that are not Arabic Speaking

2) put none of the above for race and other for ethinicity, where you will then be able to write in Middle-Eastern, or Persian, whichever you prefer.

Hey, Stewie

I want to give you a thumbs up on your post because it really identifies a huge phenomenon in many Persian communities. I know one family who was so determined to get their son thru med school that they sent him to the Carribean just so he could have that MD.

I think the big point among Persians in this nation is not so much the money a doctor makes but the job security. It's no secret that doctors have pretty good job security compared to business or even law. That's a big deal to many Persian parents, many of whom came from circumstances in which their parents didn't have a lot of job security.

This all said, even though I'm Persian muslim, I haven't found my parents to be all that nuts about their kids going into medicine even though I come from an overall community where that is pretty much the case. I think in general, my parents just want me to be good at whatever I do. That said, they are thrilled that I'm going to med school.

The point about mothers: Persian mothers invest as much into their kids as any other mother from any other nation. Consequently, you can't blaim them for wanting their kids to go into a profession that's identified in Persian culture, and many other cultures for that matter, as the most pretigious.

Even so, you as an individual have to envision whether you really want to do medicine. IMO, too many Persians are in medicine. We need more successful lawyers, businessmen, filmakers, and politicians. This will contribute to the overall strength and versatility of our community.

So, Stewie, if you don't want to do medicine, just go into whatever field gives you most passion and give it your all. As for you parents, I wouldn't worry too much. The Persian actress Shoreeh Aghdashloo's parents all but disowned her for going into acting in the late 1970s. Just recently, she was nominated for an Oscar for House of Sand and Fog. Apparently, her parents aren't so disaproving of her acting career now. Go figure.

tpf

do you guys like or dislike that many persian parents live for mardom?

Spitting Camel said:
Actually, it's arab muslims... When my friends take me over to their house, they introduce me and their parents ask me where I'm from. I say Jordan, and their children are quick to interject that I am Christian. Everything is OK after that. This experience has been mostly with Zoroastrian Persians. This distrust and dislike stems from the belief/reality that Islam brutally destroyed a glorious civilization. Although it was a long time ago, people still hold onto it - just like African Americans harbor these feelings about slavery, and Jews about the holocaust (granted the holocaust wasn't that long ago...)

Persian is not a language. The language of Persians is Farsi.

Do Zoroastrian and Muslim Persians get along??? Input would be appreciated!

I'm a Pakistani Muslim and my boyfriend/fiance is a Parsi (Zoroastrian from India). We get along fine. :D

There are some "conflicts" about the history, but nothing too huge. His parents aren't thrilled about the whole saying shahada for the nikah thing -- they feel that it's almost like betraying the ancestors who left Persia to stay Zoroastrian. I can understand that, but I'm not thrilled about the idea of doing without the nikah. Neither family is concerned about the ethnic aspects, which is usually a big deal to Indo-Paks. It turns out that we're also most likely of Persian descent (Sindhi, but of Balochi origin), so both families were happy that we were "close enough". But the weirdest part is that our "clan" still has some traditions that are clearly "old" Persian, not Muslim, which the Parsis also still do. I checked up on the genetic trees and we turned out to be one of the most closely related ethnic pairings in the region, despite the religious difference. :laugh:

Freddie Mercury (from Queen) was Parsi. He was born in Zanzibar!

Hey bruinrab, I'm going to PM you.