Any person's likelihood of getting into dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was starting to number crunch of the schools I applied to and the likelihood of being admitted based on in-state/out-state proportions according to where I live. And it got me thinking, some schools will only admit 1% of out-of-staters, while others' state schools admit 19% of in-staters, so if you think about it... most people with competitive scores (I'm talkin basically you have the average admitted scores of 19AA, 3.5 GPA plus whatever accessory attributes [much like how chlorophyll b and carotenoid are accessory pigments to chlorophyll a which matters the most]) so basically, lets say you apply to 6 schools, regardless of everything else, you're still bound to get at least 1 interview and most likely at least 1 acceptance just because you fall in the median of applicants....

so even though acceptance rates of schools look scary low, there's a good likelihood that you get in somewhere. and also, just because you were not part of school's 20% admittance doesn't mean you weren't part of their 2% admittance.

but has anyone discovered any more verifiable statistics? i'm just speculating.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
PIGMENT analogies?!?!?!?!?

PicardPalm.jpg

Make the best application you can, try your hardest, and don't stress about things that are out of your hands at this point. Thats all the verifiable evidence I need brah!

PIGMENT analogies?!?!?!?!?

i know smh rite

thats what you get when youre a dental skool applicant junkie, come on do you have any opinion on stats/chances of getting in?

i didnt notice your little blurb of optimism below your smh picture attachment so THANKS BRAH.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's say a school accepts 5% of applicants. That means that a completely average/typical applicant has a 95% chance of being rejected (or, in other words, 95% of all applicants to that school are rejected). So, if you applied to 5 schools and each one accepts 5%, then your chances of getting rejected from all of them is 0.95^5 = 77% (assuming you are "average"). That means you have a 23% chance of getting into at least one of those schools based on this *simplified* way of looking at it.

You can use this method to get a rough idea of how a completely average applicant would fare applying to whatever number of schools with different levels of selectiveness. Of course, there are other factors to consider, most notably that nobody is completely "average" and also that your admissions chances at various schools are not independent of each other -- i.e., if you are accepted at one school, that makes it more likely that you will also get accepted at another school simply because you are probably a competitive applicant.

It also seems to depend on when you apply as well and other factors (e.g. quality of EC's, your personal statement, LOR's, secondary responses). Correlation does not equal causation. Statistics won't predict if you get an interview or not; you find out completely by applying to schools of interest. I know too many people with average statistics that applied to 8+ schools that never received interviews - for a myriad of reasons.

The stats aren't scary low. 40% of applicants get in. Compare that with less than 1% in other programs (music, residencies etc) and dentistry/medical is looking good.

Then analyze the data taking out the applicants who don't have a shot anyways and I'm sure you will find an even better looking %.

And finally, when lookin at accepted vs interviewed, you'll notice the accepted equals the spots. They accept much more than the seats. I don't have any hard data on that aspect.

Don't psyche yourself out brojah. This is a self selecting process. If u want it and u put in the work it will happen.

The stats aren't scary low. 40% of applicants get in. Compare that with less than 1% in other programs (music, residencies etc) and dentistry/medical is looking good.

Then analyze the data taking out the applicants who don't have a shot anyways and I'm sure you will find an even better looking %.

And finally, when lookin at accepted vs interviewed, you'll notice the accepted equals the spots. They accept much more than the seats. I don't have any hard data on that aspect.

Don't psyche yourself out brojah. This is a self selecting process. If u want it and u put in the work it will happen.

Like it...:)

Lethstang can I say ur awsome...brah!!!!