Any PGY2 transfer slot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you know if there is any program that has a PGY2 radonc transfer slot in this coming July? How do I find out such info?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know if there is any program that has a PGY2 radonc transfer slot in this coming July? How do I find out such info?

Thank you!

This is pretty hard to do, and I've only seen program transfers happen under unusual circumstances - program closure, like CPMC or Hahnemann, or having inside info through colleagues that someone intends to leave a program you're interested in, which in and of itself is (currently) rare.

In addition to the website GapCalc posted, SDN also has a forum.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I recall a post a while back from someone that had completed their internship and, prior to starting PGY2, arranged for a program swap. Everyone had agreed to it, but I seem to recall it being a contractual issue as far as ACGME goes or something along those lines and they had to complete their originally matched PGY2 position. Maybe someone else can find the post.

You may get some yield (not necessarily for a swap) in looking for an open PGY-2 position. For example, Jefferson or other programs that had to SOAP last year but didn't take (or fill their full complement) in the SOAP are likely still looking for a resident to fill their position.

Of course getting your current institution to agree to go down a resident is its own worry, but a good program (IMO) would prefer to let you out of your contract if they knew you weren't going to be happy for 4 years for a place that has a spot and is a better fit.

Aren’t residency contracts technically year to year? I don’t think anyone can stop you from leaving other than by giving bad references. I expect a lot more movement with programs not filling/applicant pool shrinking

Reactions: 3 users
Aren’t residency contracts technically year to year? I don’t think anyone can stop you from leaving other than by giving bad references. I expect a lot more movement with programs not filling/applicant pool shrinking

Yes but a PD at program B is unlikely to take a resident without the recommendation of PD at program A. This is true even in non rad-onc fields.

Why are you leaving your program?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user