Any Pharmacy Techs & Clerks applying or planning to apply to Pharmacy School???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a thread on RNs applying to pharmacy school so I decided to start a thread on Pharmacy Techs and Clerks applying to pharmacy school.

This thread is dedicated to all future/current/former pharmacy techs and clerks who have to go to school, study, and work part time or even Full time jobs.

Share your experiences with us.
Here is mine:

1) Which pharmacy setting do you work in?
I used to work for CVS pharmacy. Now I work for a hospital pharmacy and I love it here. There is more help here and lots of opportunities to learn something new.

2) How did you find your job? job listings? networking?
I got my Savon job by volunteering there once a week for 6 months. Once a clerk position was open, I took the job. Although I was already certified and licensed as a tech, I kept my clerk job because the pharmacist was a close friend of a friend.

Getting my hospital job was almost all luck and I consider it a wonderful coincidence. In the summer time, I volunteered once a week at the hospital pharmacy. One day I went in to volunteer on my day off from savon. I was told by the office clerk that a lot of techs were going to quit and they needed to hire certified techs with experience. I jumped on the opportunity and told her my pharmacy background. The clerk personally recommended my application to the pharmacy supervisor and two months later, i was hired. It was a blessing and I'm happy it worked out for everyone.

3) Does your job require you to be nationally certified or licensed?
Yes, my hospital pharmacy tech job requires that I am licensed by the state board of pharmacy and is nationally certified by PTCB = Pharmacy Technician Certification Board.

4) Where would you avoid working as a clerk or tech? why?
No offense, but I would avoid retail pharmacies as a clerk or tech but retail is good training. Once you are thrown into the fire in a retail pharmacy, you can work at almost any pharmacy. (Just don't forget to take your two 15 min breaks while working an 8 hour shift)

5) Where do you want to work as a clerk or tech? why?
I used to want to work for Kaiser hospitals since they pay clerks almost as much as retail stores pay their techs. Now, since the economy is in a slump, and the U.S. monthly unemployment rate is at 8%, I just want to get admitted to a pharmacy school. This way I can get my pharmD and continue to help the weak and under-served through my services as a compassionate pharmacist.

6) Do you think a lot of pharmacy clerks and techs become pharmacists?
I think the percentage of techs and clerks who get accepted and graduate from pharmacy school is very low. From my own experience, it is really really difficult trying to attend school, study, work, and have a family. I don't have to support a family right now so I am able to study and prepare for my applications. For those with a family, and are currently pursuing a career in pharmacy, I praise your efforts. I have the highest respect for non-traditional pre-pharm students like yourselves.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Worked retail for 6 years; currently in hospital for the last 3 years.

Retail through a family friend, then worked into the pharmacy over 6 months until I had the hang of it. Got into the hospital partly because my wife worked there as a RN, and I really enjoy it there.

No, but certification is in the works and will likely be a required part of the job in 2-4 years.

Anywhere where the customer is always right and managers will give in to them even if they're completely wrong, like Walmart or CVS (from what I've heard).

Right where I am now at the hospital. I'm given a lot of responsibility and I take it seriously, and I'm always the first to do new things (like clinical work, entrance exams, etc)

Not a lot because most don't want to go through 4 years, even though some are easily intelligent enough to do it.

Retail since April 2008.

Just go to a job fair

No

I don't know. Only work one job which I am currently working now since I got my license.

Longs. My manager and co-workers are very friendly and helpful.

Yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retail since 2005 and hospital since 2008 and is loving it
For Retail just walked into the store and for Hospital Career builder

Yes

No where I'm open to all working options within the field, I love what I do
Hup there's no place like it.....
Yes or they express an interest in becoming one

Retail, Rite Aid as a pharm tech
Retail, CVS presently as an intern

For Rite Aid, on the recommendation of a friend that already was working there. I got it because I needed the experience.
For CVS, I just filled out the application for an internship.

When I was a pharm. tech, no
As an pharm intern, yes (state intern license)

A very very very very (stress very again) busy retail setting; no time for breaks (even if they say you can have breaks), eating or even going to the bathroom!

If I wasn't an intern and still a tech, probably hospital

Yes and No. Those that were interested in pharmacy initially, will probably try to get a job at a pharmacy as part of their career track to being a pharmacist. Those that just need or want a job will probably not become a pharmacist (unless they develop a drive for it)

Retail, Cub foods
Fairview hospital
both as techs obviously
cub- walked in and handed the pharmacy manager my resume, told her i was applying to pharmacy school and wanted a job
hospital - was volunteering there for a year and told the directer I'd like to work there
retail cub - no but they offer a 75 cent raise (oh joy!)
hospital - i believe they give you a year to get certified but i think they might have changed it recently to a requirement
I don't know you have to deal with corporate bull**** at almost all the retail chains. And as far as hospital vs retail I'd say its more preference. I enjoy the hospital better most days

I'm fine where I am

Depends. These days I'd say yes but I do know some career pharmacy techs who never and never will plan on going to pharm school.

Hospital pharmacy since 2006

I went to tech school and they had a lot of job connections.

My job requires state licensure with the Florida Department of Health. Those who are NOT nationally certified with the PTCB are not paid as much.

I would love to gain experience in a retail pharmacy. While I enjoy working in the hospital it can be pretty lonely in the I.V. room at times. I miss talking to customers like other retail jobs I've held in the past.

I love my job now, but I am more than ready to advance my career and obtain my PharmD. I would like to specialize in pediatrics or pharmacogenomics research in a government-type facility.

Most of the pharmacists I have worked with have never been a pharmacy technician prior to becoming a pharmacist. I feel that the best pharmacists are the ones that become techs first, as they are able to better relate to the techs and treat them more like equal, not like we are beneath them.

Walmart Pharmacy - Started in Aug 2011.

It was difficult to even find a job, let alone a Pharmacy Tech position. I did massive research on every retail store that I lived nearby. I ended up calling a total of 30-35 retail pharmacies. Walgreens rejected me after an interview due to lack of experience, CVS wanted to hire me because one of their technicians quit and Hyvee also wanted to hire me, but it was too late because I had accepted Walmart already.

No. But I'll become nationally certified just for the fun of it.

If I could find a hospital pharmacy I would leave Walmart ASAP. The workload is just insane and there are too many customers that come by with their own little problems. Cheap and rude.

I want to work for Walgreens as a Pharmacy Tech that is located inside of a hospital. I want to have the ability to do compounding as well because I feel it is necessary to be exposed to all type of Pharmacy experiences before applying for Pharmacy school.

No, while there are many good Pharmacy Techs and Clerks out there, they are just not smart enough to make it inside of Pharmacy school. It doesn't mean that they are stupid, it just shows that they aren't committed to school as the rest of us are.

Inpatient pharmacy at a Pediatric facility.

When my hospital opened they had a big push to get staff. I applied from a different adult based I had worked at for 10 years and was hired immediately.

Our state requires state licensure, which is dependent on national certification.

I worked in retail for a year when I first started. It was a small independant pharmacy, which I suspect is much better than chain pharmacys. Retail is just not my enviroment.

I love the hospital enviroment and have worked in it for a long time now. I have specialized in buying and automation and QA over the years, and I wouldn't be alble to do any of that stuff in a retail setting.

I know a ton of pharmacists who were clerks or techs originally, and I do think they make the best Pharmacists, at least from a tech's point of view. Many techs are happy with the job they have and don't particullarly want to spend the time and money it takes to get an RPh.

I worked in an independent retail pharmacy for almost 8 years.

Good old fashioned nepotism--my mom's the senior certified tech and she got me on as a clerk when I was 15 and I became a tech at 18.

I never got certified because it wasn't a necessity. I thought about it but was always too wrapped up in other things.

Hahahaha... retail. As the angry pharmacist tweeted the day after Labor Day: "For those in retail: I'm sorry. For those not in retail: Days like today are proof that you couldn't cut it in retail."

I wanted some hospital experience, but c'est la vie. I suppose I can get some when I'm in school if I feel like it, but by then I'll be a lot closer to the real deal.

I think that many people take these jobs as a gateway into getting that pharmacy experience, but there are also many clerks and techs who are fabulous clerks and techs and have no desire to become otherwise.

No, while there are many good Pharmacy Techs and Clerks out there, they are just not smart enough to make it inside of Pharmacy school. It doesn't mean that they are stupid, it just shows that they aren't committed to school as the rest of us are.

My mother became certified when I was 8. So she was in her forties. I think that the money she made doing a job she genuinely enjoyed was more than enough being older with two young children. I don't think that it was the case that she wasn't smart or committed.

I'm not in the big leagues yet, but techs are a part of your team. I think that you should have a certain amount of respect toward them and blanket statements that techs and clerks aren't smart enough to make it (whether it's true for parts of the whole or not) are really unfair.

Just my two pennies, though. Not trying to start World War III.

Many techs are happy with the job they have and don't particullarly want to spend the time and money it takes to get an RPh.

Truth.