Any Podiatry/MD's at your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VolibearMain

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious. If in the future I am unhappy with podiatry, do any of you know any professors etc who pursued both?

Members don't see this ad.

despite what the others on this board have said about the limited license , If you are unhappy in podiatry, there are still things that you can do in a non clinical setting with a DPM, as it is technically a Doctorate in Medicine (Podiatry). I have a very good friend of mine who graduated from Pod school, didn't like the clinical side of medicine, and ended up teaching at the College Level Microbiology.

Reactions: 1 user
Theres a DPM/PT at Temple. There's also an MD/DPM at Temple but he doesn't count cause he got his MD first.

There are people who do it.

You may want to give this a listen. The doctor being interviewed basically gives his story of attending DPM school then a DO school and doing an orthopedic residency. Ultimately he somehow got back to doing foot and ankle, so it's not quite the great escape from podiatry you may have had in mind, but it's worth a listen:
http://www.podiatricsuccess.com/speaker/chris-bibbo-dpm-do/

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks bob. J like podiatry just dont know if i would be happy with less than 200 k a year
Theres a DPM/PT at Temple. There's also an MD/DPM at Temple but he doesn't count cause he got his MD first.

There are people who do it.

You may want to give this a listen. The doctor being interviewed basically gives his story of attending DPM school then a DO school and doing an orthopedic residency. Ultimately he somehow got back to doing foot and ankle, so it's not quite the great escape from podiatry you may have had in mind, but it's worth a listen:
http://www.podiatricsuccess.com/speaker/chris-bibbo-dpm-do/
I l

Towards the end of this past semester, Dr Lee Cohen (podiatrist for the Eagles and 76ers) came in to lecture us. One thing he said in particular stuck with me..."dolla dolla bills y'all!!!"

If you look at some of the newly graduated pod salaries in the physicians section of the forum, while you will see quite a lot of pods starting around the 150k mark, those who are very good at marketing themselves and do lots of surgery end up making $220k+. The pods of today are not the pods 20 years ago.

There was one pod here who was in an ortho group as a partner pulling $400k+, but that seems to be the exception, not the rule. A much more reasonable estimate would be 220k-250K if you are a good pod who knows how to hussle.

Thanks bob. J like podiatry just dont know if i would be happy with less than 200 k a year
I l

I l
You have to do what you love, not just for the money. There are SO many people who give up their crazy-high incomes because they are absolutely miserable and hate their work. Don't just be a doctor because of what they're paid, and certainly don't put yourself through school if it's not what you love, or because your judgment is being clouded by dollar signs!

Last edited:
Just curious. If in the future I am unhappy with podiatry, do any of you know any professors etc who pursued both?
It also worries me that you talk about potential unhappiness in the field. I always ask doctors if they would choose their field again and 99% of the time the answer is yes. If you don't think your answer will be yes still after 30+ years in the field then please don't make yourself miserable! You need to do what you love first and the money will follow. Your happiness is more important that money (which might I remind cannot buy happiness!)

I encourage you to really think about the things that make you happy and bring you organic joy and see if there are ways to pursue them professionally.

If you're going into Podiatry for the money then you should really re-consider.

Its not about the money. Im becoming a doctor because i like it. The kind of doctor, somewhat does depend on pay scale as it does for most young physicians

It also worries me that you talk about potential unhappiness in the field. I always ask doctors if they would choose their field again and 99% of the time the answer is yes. If you don't think your answer will be yes still after 30+ years in the field then please don't make yourself miserable! You need to do what you love first and the money will follow. Your happiness is more important that money (which might I remind cannot buy happiness!)

I encourage you to really think about the things that make you happy and bring you organic joy and see if there are ways to pursue them professionally.

I agree with this, however it is impossible to determine what someone is gonna be happy doing 20-30 years from now. Its more about making a decision and then choosing to be happy, whatever the career is.

Towards the end of this past semester, Dr Lee Cohen (podiatrist for the Eagles and 76ers) came in to lecture us. One thing he said in particular stuck with me..."dolla dolla bills y'all!!!"

This is literally my dream, except for AZ!

Every doctor that I have met, with the exception of Ortho doctors and Optomologists have said they wish they would have done something other than medicine. I'm not sure why that is, it might have something to do with pay scale.

Its not about the money. Im becoming a doctor because i like it. The kind of doctor, somewhat does depend on pay scale as it does for most young physicians

Every doctor that I have met, with the exception of Ortho doctors and Optomologists have said they wish they would have done something other than medicine. I'm not sure why that is, it might have something to do with pay scale.
Idk cause they are some of the highest paid. I think its all the paperwork and hoops they have to jump through to get paid. Dealing with insurance is probably a nightmare. When I was an MA for a pain and spine doctor (who get paid well as well) they have clinical visits 2 days a week and they were literally in and out of a room in 7-10 minutes. There were basically running between rooms to see as many patients as they could because reimbursements went down so they needed to make up for it. They had no relationships with the patients and were stressed beyond relief. And as they ran between visits, their paperwork and charting they had to do would stack up. It just seemed like a nightmare. And the doctor, who had recently finished her residency, told me it was a nightmare haha

While I understand your concerns regarding how much money one can make after residency, comparing Podiatry to other healthcare fields is not the way to go. There is no way for us to know how much we will make after residency because, as you know, it all varies from location, place of employment, etc (unlike other specialties such as EM where you know you will make close to 300K after residency). Which is why we have to be sure this is what we want to do and avoid changing fields during Pod school or after residency. Also, the Pods that are making over 250K+ are most likely doing surgery. But, we should keep in mind that, not all of us will be doing surgery, even though our residency will be a surgical one. With surgery, you either have it or you don't.

The reason I want to do Podiatry is personal (my parents having diabetes for more than 15 years now and I have seen the foot related complications), and also, I like the field since you can do so many things as a DPM. For example, I was shadowing a faculty at NYCPM yesterday and saw the work of 3rd-year students and DPMs. In those 5 hours I was there, I saw someone getting their toenail out due to fungal infection, to reading X-ray/MRI and fixing someone's broken tibia, to educating the patients about long-term complications of diabetes and high blood pressure and prescribing Rx, to seeing patients as a Post-op for gait abnormalities and the type of orthotics they will need (also making few right there), and to teaching the current students all at the same time.

So I would love to do all those things first and wear the different hats of a DPM, the money I will get in return will be secondary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Really? That's too bad to hear! Maybe I've been lucky with asking my dentist, pod, PCP, etc. but they all really seem to still enjoy their jobs.

There are surveys on this you can look up. A good chunk of docs would at least change specialty, if not careers, if they could do it all over again.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

While I understand your concerns regarding how much money one can make after residency, comparing Podiatry to other healthcare fields is not the way to go. There is no way for us to know how much we will make after residency because, as you know, it all varies from location, place of employment, etc (unlike other specialties such as EM where you know you will make close to 300K after residency). Which is why we have to be sure this is what we want to do and avoid changing fields during Pod school or after residency. Also, the Pods that are making over 250K+ are most likely doing surgery. But, we should keep in mind that, not all of us will be doing surgery, even though our residency will be a surgical one. With surgery, you either have it or you don't.

The reason I want to do Podiatry is personal (my parents having diabetes for more than 15 years now and I have seen the foot related complications), and also, I like the field since you can do so many things as a DPM. For example, I was shadowing a faculty at NYCPM yesterday and saw the work of 3rd-year students and DPMs. In those 5 hours I was there, I saw someone getting their toenail out due to fungal infection, to reading X-ray/MRI and fixing someone's broken tibia, to educating the patients about long-term complications of diabetes and high blood pressure and prescribing Rx, to seeing patients as a Post-op for gait abnormalities and the type of orthotics they will need (also making few right there), and to teaching the current students all at the same time.

So I would love to do all those things first and wear the different hats of a DPM, the money I will get in return will be secondary.
The healthcare field needs more people like you.

Reactions: 1 users
The healthcare field needs more people like you.
+1 on that. Was thinking the same thing. Your future patients will be lucky to have you DexterMorgan!