Any pre-meds out here in Okinawa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Need guidance and advice on how to knock out my pre reqs while I'm out here!

Members don't see this ad.

Njcarp, that would probably be very difficult. Most med schools flatly require that pre-reqs be taken at US schools.

Difficult yes-- but your time out there doesn't need to be a lost cause. I'm getting commissioned in 2 months (AF) and probably won't really be able to start taking classes for awhile due to my location. However, I'm going to try to knock out some volunteer time during those periods, so maybe if there is a base hospital/medical center anywhere near you, you could do the same.

Or, if you by chance need to improve your gpa, you could try to take some other (even non related) classes. I have a friend who worked on learning spanish while she was on a remote tour (distance class) because she wanted to apply to Arizona/California schools, where spanish would be a plus. I know that sounds random, but she found it helpful and it kept her from feeling like she wasn't working towards her goal.

Good luck, I know its frustrating when you don't have the flexibility to get things done because the military needs us somewhere else...but you'll get there!

Members don't see this ad :)
UNC has some courses offered online. I know physics I/II for sure, but I would definitely check with prospective schools before investing because they are not cheap. The labs would obviously have to come later in the US. Also, keep in mind if you use tuition assistance through the Marine Corps, you will owe 2 years from the date of completion of the last course you take. It's a good deal if you time it right.

Also, the shadowing thing is a great idea--depending on what you do in Okinawa and how much time you have on your hands.

Hi!
I am not located in Okinawa but I have been in Fukuoka for this year until now.

I know some U.S. schools offer online continuing education courses but I am not sure which offer pre reqs as well.
I have heard of a U.S. satellite school in Hiroshima with online education which provides equivalent education for a U.S. college for foreigners in Japan.
If I find out the name maybe you can contact them to see if they provide pre req course online too.

You'd have to be pretty careful about prereqs. Some schools are stingy that they be taken in a lecture format, or at least the lab component in an actual lab.

Have you checked with the education offices at Kadena or Foster? Years ago when I was there Troy and Oklahoma had satellite campuses. I'm sure they have something still. Are you UDP or going on the MEU? The MEU had instructors giving college level courses while underway which may help. Lastly, go to the Kadena Oclub and find one of the DoDDs teachers that always seem to be hanging out there. They may know something...besides that's just fun.

Also, keep in mind if you use tuition assistance through the Marine Corps, you will owe 2 years from the date of completion of the last course you take.

From my personal experience this is not true (unless you're an officer). I had TA pay for courses that ended after my contract was up.

It was my experience that a lot of the prereqs were available but not the lab portions of the prereqs i.e. chemistry, physics. I was at RAF Lakenheath in the UK. It might be different where you are. I know this is not what you are hoping to hear but, I had to wait until I seperated to get them done. While you are in though you can always beef up the GPA with some other classes offered through the education office. I think we had University of Maryland, Oklahoma, and North Texas. Best of luck to you.

From my personal experience this is not true (unless you're an officer). I had TA pay for courses that ended after my contract was up.
It's absolutely true if you're an Officer and njcarp is a 1stLt, so it applies to him

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm actually working with UNECOM right now to get my pre-reqs done, shadowing a DO, volunteering at the Naval Hospital and working full time so I think I may have figured it out...lets just hope all this pain is worth it in the end. Also, you all are right when you use TA as an O they make you serve 2 years from the date you get your grade for that class. On that same note I'm almost done with my masters with OU here (and I strategically used TA right up to 2 years to the day I will be EASing :D)Thanks for the responses again and if I can get this done out here in the middle of nowhere you all can do it anywhere.

Semper Fi SgtDoc,

I spent 12 years in the Corps myself, and was in Okinawa for 3 of those years. I took some of the humanitarian courses over there through the University of Maryland program. It is true that the lab courses will be not likely be available over there, but things may have changed in the 17 years since I was there. When I got out I eventually went back to school full time to finish my BS in biology, and now am finishing up my residency (14 months to go and counting).

Good luck.

so it can be done! we should make a support group for Marines that are trying to become docs lol. I thought I was so alone prior to creating this thread...

oorah,

carp

so it can be done! we should make a support group for Marines that are trying to become docs lol. I thought I was so alone prior to creating this thread...

oorah,

carp

This post is a few weeks late but I spent two years in Oki (2000-2002, MCB Butler G6 computer/network guy). I took a bunch of humanities and behavioral science classes from UMUC-Asia which I thoroughly enjoyed. I don't think you're going to find much in the way of pre-med requirements though. You could probably take some math courses if you're deficient in that area (many schools require calculus or at least some math). Also, a lot of med schools require english and humanities courses above and beyond many college degree requirements so you could look into taking those while you're there also.

Semper Fi!