holla :laugh: hey someone has to represent the bottom of the curve

3.33 here

About the Ads

mfrenkie

10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I have a 3.34 overall and a 3.43 science, but my last 55 credits are a 3.85 (for both) and I got a 34 MCAT, so hopefully I'm not that screwed.

durfen

I see plans within plans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Kaitain
Status
Resident [Any Field]
BuckerPark said:
Got you all beat. 3.08 BCPM. Not Proud of it. But, undergrad was 4 years ago. Hope they take that into consideration.
3.2 here.

theaggie07

10+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
sweltering Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
3.29 science, but 3.83 non science and a balanced 31 MCAT. I think I got screwed that I didn't drop a class for medical reasons. I thought I could pull it out but ended up with my first C in my life. Needless to say, I hate anatomy. Please someone pick me!

ArminTamzarian

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Medical Student
BuckerPark said:
Got you all beat. 3.08 BCPM. Not Proud of it. But, undergrad was 4 years ago. Hope they take that into consideration.
Yeah, I have a 2.78! But that was a while ago. During my last 123hrs, I have 3.75BCMP. And my 38MCAT should help. Now let's see who has the most undergrad hours on the books for a single degree. Can anyone top 217 hours?

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
Right behind you
Status
Post Doc
theaggie07 said:
3.29 science, but 3.83 non science and a balanced 31 MCAT. I think I got screwed that I didn't drop a class for medical reasons. I thought I could pull it out but ended up with my first C in my life. Needless to say, I hate anatomy. Please someone pick me!
3.27 here. I have a two C's from freshman year, and a C+ in Ochem II. Other than that, straight A's in upper levels and only 4 B's (math, I despise you). So I'm hoping they notice the significant improvement from freshman year.
My AO gpa is around 3.8-3.9.
So, whatever. :love:

o00roxy00o

10+ Year Member
May 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I got into my state school with a 3.24 science GPA and a 3.52 overall with a 31 MCAT. I'm your "average" applicant and I got into an MD school :)

tandski

MS3
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2006
Richmond, VA
Status
Medical Student
3.3 BCMP (one F and one D, Freshman year), 3.5 overall here, skied too much my freshman year...3 times a week every week...ahhhh memories. I only went once this past year..sad

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
Right behind you
Status
Post Doc
o00roxy00o said:
I got into my state school with a 3.24 science GPA and a 3.52 overall with a 31 MCAT. I'm your "average" applicant and I got into an MD school :)
I think more people get in with similar stats than people realize. Most SDNers think you need a 3.8+ and a 35+ MCAT in order to get MD. Anything below they'll advice you to apply DO besides MD.

About the Ads

ahumdinger

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2005
Status
Medical Student
look, not to sound discouraging, the only thing that can save you from a low GPA is some good in-state luck (and that also requires a decent MCAT score). I was incredibly lucky and got in by the skin o' my teeth, and miraculously at one of the top schools in the country, but I also have a stack of 14 or 15 rejection letters (all pre-interview). True, I didn't apply to any DO or bottom of the rung schools, but I didn't exactly just shoot for the stars either. The fact of the matter is, a half decent GPA can always get you in somewhere while a good MCAT score may or may not be able to save you. It's such a crapshoot. I hope you all have chosen your schools wisely, and good luck!

Primo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2005
Status
o00roxy00o said:
Congrats, that's awesome.

I'm shooting for my state school and should have pretty similar stats. I have a 3.21 BCPM now as I said above, but with my summer classes I should have a 3.29 (it won't be on AMCAS, but the admissions dean told me to let him know and they would take it into consideration). I'm hoping to get an MCAT close to 30 in August, but who knows now. I also have the disadvantage of applying "late" for someone with such low stats.

kidthor

meep
10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
I'm so glad to hear that there are so many people like me... I have something like a 3.4 overall and a 3.26 science.

Zoom-Zoom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
California
Status
Medical Student
tandski said:
3.3 BCMP (one F and one D, Freshman year), 3.5 overall here, skied too much my freshman year...3 times a week every week...ahhhh memories. I only went once this past year..sad
Ah me too. 1.56 my freshman year. :eek: Luckily I didn't take any sciences and I've had a 3.9 since. :D

LifetimeDoc

EM Attending
10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
USA
Status
Attending Physician
I'm a BCPM 3.23 with an overall of a 3.36. However, this includes C grades from 15 years ago. My current 4.0 GPA in my post bacc is what the adcoms will look at mostly, so the BCPM and Overall GPAs won't look as bad.

In our situation, the MCAT score is even more important. A higher than average matriculant MCAT score will help to alleviate an adcom's apprehension about whether or not we can handle the rigors of medical school and the USMLE exams.

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm part of this club. Got a <3.0 BCPM, but it's not going to keep me out of med school.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
MDdream said:

3.33 here
Um. Have you read the hundreds of posts by people accepted to schools with a lower science GPA than you?

You are nowhere near the bottom of the curve.

OP
M

MDdream

10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2006
Status
OSUdoc08 said:
Um. Have you read the hundreds of posts by people accepted to schools with a lower science GPA than you?

You are nowhere near the bottom of the curve.
apparently ive missed out on these posts :confused: because a 3.3 is definetly not average

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
MDdream said:
apparently ive missed out on these posts :confused: because a 3.3 is definetly not average
Perhaps, but it is also not an outlier.

Schaden Freud

MiSanthrope II
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
MDdream said:

3.33 here
Yeah my science GPA suuuuuuucks: 3.25.

If anything, this will be my downfall.

etf

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2005
Status
my sci was around 3.33, but i still got a few interviews. just do well on the mcat, and have some good essays and a sense of humor. you should be ok. although, i'm not...

Veshy

Vinsanity!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
Memphis
Status
Medical Student
etf said:
you should be ok. although, i'm not...
Ha, thanks. That's reassuring. I'm working with ~3.15 for both BCPM and overall, so sign me up for this club...

About the Ads