any prelims who are trying to get out of matched speciality?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metalupyoura**

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a PGY-1 doing prelim in internal medicine and am supposed to do emergency medicine starting this July-its a 2-3-4 program, I actually want to stay with internal medicine at the program I am at which is different then the ER program. Both program directors are fine with it, but NRMP has denied my request to be released from the ER program because I have less then 9 month notice which is their rule. My program director told me that there are about 30-40 other people in my position who also were denied for the same reason.
I can refuse to honor my contract, but NRMP says on website they can investigate, prosecute, bar me from further matches including fellowship matches, anyone know how serious that actually would be? Would NRMP really go to all these lengths?
One option I have is to accept my ER spot but then withdraw after a day and go back to IM. However, the ER director would rather fill a spot now then trying to do so after July 1.

anyone have any ideas on what I can do, especially if you are in the same position as me, what are you doing about it??? I am posting this in the anesthesia forum because I was told alot of the people trying to switch were in anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad.

metalupyoura** said:
I am posting this in the anesthesia forum because I was told alot of the people trying to switch were in anesthesia.

Just have to correct this...A lot of people who HAVE switched are in anesthesia. Anesthesiology is one of the most highly switched into fields of medicine, and I believe that the retention rate is very good. So hopefully someone who has gone through something similar will reply.

Anyway, I have absolutely no advice for you, but best of luck!