Any Premedical Students with any kind of Anxiety Disorder?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicinePunkin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently dealing with anxiety and I am a current premedical student. I am particularly worried about how this will effect me in the comming years. I am using very effective coping strategies and relaxation techniques. I wants to know how this will effect my medical school interview, and my medical school years. I am effectively controlling my anxiety and have been very sucessful in managing it myself. I used to be very anxious but now I am only anxious a little about certain situations. Some people will say to me that I am not going to make a good doctor or that they will not let me even get into medical school for having anxiety but I figure I can properly control it because I have been giving my ownself therapy from my own knowledge. I feel great and healthy and I don't worry. Sometimes I find myself unable to relax around people and I know that this can't be like that when I become a doctor. I don't want to seem like an introvert, or as if I can't communicate with other people. Anyone else in the same boat or anyone with any advice?:)

Members don't see this ad.

hey! Introverts are the best people out there! Um, i say that because I'm introverted(he,he,he). I'm a freshmen psychology/pre-med student. I am introverted and suffer some anxiety of different kinds. Just because I'm introverted doesn't mean I don't communicate well with people or am afraid of them, it just means I'm not a social butterfly. I'm quiet, laid-back, I think things through, I'm not impulsive, in other words, I'm very boring. I like to do things on my own and I don't need people around me constantly.My anxiety however has bothered me some. i had a panic attack on the way to choir once. can you blame me though? I was with 150 other people from 14-18yrs old and I was extremely uncomfortable. Mostly because it is more of a social event which I did not want to take part in. Didn't know anybody, while eveyone else knew each other. It was so miserable. Also, i couldn't relate to these people. But my anxiety doesn't bother me all the time, only in certain situations. I just started college and I'm doing fine so far. I think it's because your not expected to talk and socialize, it's a get down to business thing and I love it. So my anxiety is selective. Introversion and social anxiety are not going to prevent you(or me) from being a good doctor. Unless you have severe social anxiety that can't be controlled by medicine then you should be okay. . I may not be 'sociable' but I have good people skills. I also have the good leadership and communication skills needed to be a dr(better in person). I'm friendly, thoughtful, and I can feel for people. That's what I think is important for being a dr. I'm not going to let my problems bother me and you shouldn't either. If it gets really bad, try seeing a therapist. I would if I found it necessary. But if it's not serious, don't worry about what other people say. Hey, I thought I'd be a basket case in college. But I'm not. I'll probably never be bubbly and outgoing, but I know that's not important for being a good dr.:D :D

Great post Future. Very well said.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Centrum
Great post Future. Very well said.

well thank you very much.
The part about me being boring was a joke. Just wanted everyone to know that.:p

Oh, I'm so sorry I was going to reply back I was just in the middle of filling out an application. Thank you so very kindly for the responce. As I told other SDN members my anxiety levels are under control because I have been using good coping techniques and skills to reduce my anxiety. I am currently doing research on anxiety and the wealth of knowledge it brings to me helps alot as well. I was just curious about it being a stigma in the medical profession especially for doctors. But another member has specifically clarified that for me thanks so much for your help and I will take into account what you told me.

Originally posted by MedicinePunkin
Oh, I'm so sorry I was going to reply back I was just in the middle of filling out an application. Thank you so very kindly for the responce. As I told other SDN members my anxiety levels are under control because I have been using good coping techniques and skills to reduce my anxiety. I am currently doing research on anxiety and the wealth of knowledge it brings to me helps alot as well. I was just curious about it being a stigma in the medical profession especially for doctors. But another member has specifically clarified that for me thanks so much for your help and I will take into account what you told me.

Same here. ;) Knowledge is wonderful.