1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Premedical Students with any kind of Anxiety Disorder?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MedicinePunkin, Aug 27, 2002.

1. MedicinePunkin

7+ Year Member

Hi, I am currently dealing with anxiety and I am a current premedical student. I am particularly worried about how this will effect me in the comming years. I am using very effective coping strategies and relaxation techniques. I wants to know how this will effect my medical school interview, and my medical school years. I am effectively controlling my anxiety and have been very sucessful in managing it myself. I used to be very anxious but now I am only anxious a little about certain situations. Some people will say to me that I am not going to make a good doctor or that they will not let me even get into medical school for having anxiety but I figure I can properly control it because I have been giving my ownself therapy from my own knowledge. I feel great and healthy and I don't worry. Sometimes I find myself unable to relax around people and I know that this can't be like that when I become a doctor. I don't want to seem like an introvert, or as if I can't communicate with other people. Anyone else in the same boat or anyone with any advice?:)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. FutureM.D.

FutureM.D. Psychology major
    7+ Year Member

hey! Introverts are the best people out there! Um, i say that because I'm introverted(he,he,he). I'm a freshmen psychology/pre-med student. I am introverted and suffer some anxiety of different kinds. Just because I'm introverted doesn't mean I don't communicate well with people or am afraid of them, it just means I'm not a social butterfly. I'm quiet, laid-back, I think things through, I'm not impulsive, in other words, I'm very boring. I like to do things on my own and I don't need people around me constantly.My anxiety however has bothered me some. i had a panic attack on the way to choir once. can you blame me though? I was with 150 other people from 14-18yrs old and I was extremely uncomfortable. Mostly because it is more of a social event which I did not want to take part in. Didn't know anybody, while eveyone else knew each other. It was so miserable. Also, i couldn't relate to these people. But my anxiety doesn't bother me all the time, only in certain situations. I just started college and I'm doing fine so far. I think it's because your not expected to talk and socialize, it's a get down to business thing and I love it. So my anxiety is selective. Introversion and social anxiety are not going to prevent you(or me) from being a good doctor. Unless you have severe social anxiety that can't be controlled by medicine then you should be okay. . I may not be 'sociable' but I have good people skills. I also have the good leadership and communication skills needed to be a dr(better in person). I'm friendly, thoughtful, and I can feel for people. That's what I think is important for being a dr. I'm not going to let my problems bother me and you shouldn't either. If it gets really bad, try seeing a therapist. I would if I found it necessary. But if it's not serious, don't worry about what other people say. Hey, I thought I'd be a basket case in college. But I'm not. I'll probably never be bubbly and outgoing, but I know that's not important for being a good dr.:D :D

4. Centrum

Centrum SMILEY KING
    7+ Year Member

Great post Future. Very well said.

5. FutureM.D.

7+ Year Member

well thank you very much.
    The part about me being boring was a joke. Just wanted everyone to know that.:p

6. MedicinePunkin

7+ Year Member

Oh, I'm so sorry I was going to reply back I was just in the middle of filling out an application. Thank you so very kindly for the responce. As I told other SDN members my anxiety levels are under control because I have been using good coping techniques and skills to reduce my anxiety. I am currently doing research on anxiety and the wealth of knowledge it brings to me helps alot as well. I was just curious about it being a stigma in the medical profession especially for doctors. But another member has specifically clarified that for me thanks so much for your help and I will take into account what you told me.

7. Smoke This

Smoke This Sweet cuppin' cakes!
    10+ Year Member

Word.

8. FutureM.D.

7+ Year Member

Same here. ;) Knowledge is wonderful.