Any previous applicants willing to share secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalist

carpe diem
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you could post secondary questions from last year for any dental school, we would really appreciate it! :) :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

you can find Upenn and UNLV secondaries online.
but i m sure adcom dont let secondaries out for a reason.
i guess you should wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor has a secondary app, but it doesn't ask you any personal questions. It's very tame and takes about 5 minutes to complete (I really don't even know what they gain by it).

Be prepared to write essays detailing your drive for the profession, experience, and desire to attend each school specifically. Your turn-around time on these apps is an essential component to the application process (if you can get these in before many have turned in their addsas, you have like a 200% better chance getting accepted). I'm sure the adcoms change their essays ever year (or least cycle them through several years). I could be lying right now however, because I'm drinking for hours and just wasting time.

Calculus1 said:
Baylor has a secondary app, but it doesn't ask you any personal questions. It's very tame and takes about 5 minutes to complete (I really don't even know what they gain by it).
I think it's just to red-flag people who come from more disadvantaged backgrounds, possibly so as to give their apps special consideration (but that's just my conjecture from the nature of the questions). Who knows. It is insanely brief -- when first I looked at it, I had to triple-check to make sure I wasn't somehow missing the other pages!!

what is secondary? and why do we need to write essay again for that? does every school have that?

secondary is more specific. some schools want to know you better, so they ask you more questions. i like schools that ask me tons of questions. it seems like they care about me. not every schools have that.

Why can't you even share the secondaries from last year?

Go to Pre-allo forum and they all share secondaries.

I did share some secondaries with you.
I donno why several schools require passwords to access their secondaries, so I guess they dont want to "expose" it to other students. We have to respect their application process. If you really need to read it, you could contact that particular school to request a copy.

Why do u need to prepare for secondaries when you will apply next year?

So we can provide new applicants with the usual format of secondary essays. We all know that some secondary essays take a lot of time. Why not help us to get ahead in the application process?

ecdoesit said:
I did share some secondaries with you.
I donno why several schools require passwords to access their secondaries, so I guess they dont want to "expose" it to other students. We have to respect their application process. If you really need to read it, you could contact that particular school to request a copy.

Why do u need to prepare for secondaries when you will apply next year?

This is pretty ridiculous, cant you do any part of the application process yourself? Its not like SDN doesnt have enough on it already, you know exactly what the questions will be during an interview, what to put for extracurriculars, what grades you should have etc. I really think you should be smart enough to write a secondary up by yourself without seeing other people's.

I think dentalist just wants questions rather than answers.
I am not sure what you mean by format. If there is a question, you type/print ur answer. I m sure adcom is glad that everybody will answer differently; otherwise, they would be bored to death.

I cant share some secondaries with u mainly because it just concerns me that some schools require passwords to access their secondaries and I dont think their intent to give to other people. Some schools have paper version that we have to turn in.
That's why I am asking you to call up different schools to request them.

Actually, pretty much the only secondary that takes a really long time is the UCSF secondary. 12 questions, and they're not your usual 2 to three word answer type questions. I would probably say they're more like short answer type questions. UCLA has quite a few questions as well, but it's not as long as ucsf's.

I remember upenn having a secondary, but that wasn't too bad either. HOnestly, I really don't think a secondary forum is all that necessary. Most of them are pretty easy, asking "why dentistry" or "why [name of dental school]".

I think the only reason why they share secondaries in the pre allo forum is that the secondary plays a much bigger role for med school than for dental school. Med school secondaries are crazy; from what I've heard from some friends of mine, it seems that it's like writing another personal essay!

HOpe this helps!