any purely teaching opportunities minus research after phd pharma or MS pharma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tzu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone enlighten me if there are any opportunities to carry out only teaching work at pharmacology dept at universities without involving in research after doing a phd pharm or ms pharm?

Members don't see this ad.

can anyone enlighten me if there are any opportunities to carry out only teaching work at pharmacology dept at universities without involving in research after doing a phd pharm or ms pharm?
Pharmacology is fundamental to medicine, dentistry, vet medicine, and pharmacy, and those programs are generally only found in large, research medical centers. Therein lies the problem. At academic medical centers, it is very rare to find them willing to hire a person to teach only. This, in large part, is due to the fact that research grants bring in money and publications give them prominence. Those that teach only are usually tenured faculty members who have lost their grants and so they can no longer do research. A PhD pharmacologist that I studied with is teaching pharmacology at a community college. I know another colleague who is doing 100% teaching at a four-year college with a PhD, but she is not teaching pharmacology. Research is tough and it's the major focus of earning a PhD. This is a long road to travel if teaching is your major motivation. A PhD might not be needed in your case.