Any qualms about USC Keck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mutt

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides the tuition cost, does anyone at USC, or knowledgeable of USC have anything to say (positive or negative)?

Curriculum approach, people, faculty support, research, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

i have heard that 3rd and 4th year, there is very little faculty support and guidance.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, is the process of finding a "good lab" just like it is as an undergrad - trial and error?
Prestige of the PI doesn't mean shizzo....

most of my classmates have found good labs to work in. we have a research grant here that sponsors summer research, so it induced a lot of us to get off our butts to do something ... and we all are pretty satisfied with the PIs we found.

dr.z said:
Research isn't as good as they make it sound. There are good labs, but few.

i would disagree. there's a lot of good researchers out here doing interesting things ... maybe not as good as other universities, but i wouldn't say "few".

MB in SD said:
So, is the process of finding a "good lab" just like it is as an undergrad - trial and error?
Prestige of the PI doesn't mean shizzo....

oh and btw ... i got to work with the first PI i emailed ... maybe i'm lucky but ppl didn't find that much trouble.

dara678 said:
i would disagree. there's a lot of good researchers out here doing interesting things ... maybe not as good as other universities, but i wouldn't say "few".

I'm a graduate student so maybe I look for different things.

dr.z - are you a grad student at USC?

So does USC pretty much suck for research compared to say UCSD or UCLA?

Here is one of my plenty complaints. Next year, I am supposed to park in the free lot for rotations at county, just like the vast majority of people do for first year because by the time you know you want to go to USC, the parking permits are sold out (i.e. The vast majority of you will not have parking anywhere (paid or otherwise) because they are taking away the free lot and by the time you know you want to go to USC< the overpriced paid parking is all sold)

So next year, even though I am at county half the time, I am now going to have to pay 700$ extra for parking that I would hardly be using. And you guys wont even use.
http://uscnews.usc.edu/hscweekly/detail.php?recordnum=11263
And we found out by reading the HSC weekly, not by being told. And when we complained to student affairs, guess what they did?? They didn't try to see if we can get the free parking back. They asked if they could open the overpriced paid parking earlier. Typical buerocrats, only caring about themselves.

Parking....I guess that's a valid qualm.

Thanks for input - how's the school, environment, curriculum, etc. in your opinion?

School: Decent. Not as good as you might think from the tour. The administration doesn't care about you, they just care about thmeselves.

Environment: The other students are absolutely great and I love them. That's the best part of the school. But it is in a crappy part of LA and it is boring around here. Hollywood is really cool, but it takes me like 30 minutes driving to get there from Pasadena.

Curriculum: Pretty good. They give you tons of time to study for the boards, but they have an utterly useless thing called ICS at the end of second year. Donno about rotations, but I have heard some negative things about that

Overall, I would say go to any UC over USC and It's probably in your best interest to go to a Mount Sinai, Emory, Northwestern, or school of thatlevel over USC unless you have family here because living where youare you hardly even get to experience LA and those schools would probably help you more. (And be a ton cheaper)

That's the kind of info I was looking for.

So, why the UC's over USC?

Because they are better schools, the people there really care about you, and they are cheaper by a TON

Curriculum approach: first two years are great
people:Students are great perople
faculty support: Some facaulty are great, some of them are just there for themselves
research: good in some areas.

Jalby,

what's great about the curriculum?

I'm a first year at USC and I think this school is great. The cost is higher, but with the opportunities available in the hospital, I feel that I'll be more prepared for residency. Although I haven't done any rotations yet, I have enjoyed the ICM part of the curriculm; it's nice to actually see patients rather than spend all your time in class. I have also followed the trauma team around and actually participated in patient care, including surgical procedures.

Already, I have a publication this year on a study on pediatric trauma and I have a project lined up this summer to work on a revolutionary HIV gene therapy drug. I'd say research opportunities are great here but you need some initiative to actually email the right people; no one is gonna just do everything for you.

Yes parking is a issue, i've never had any difficulty getting a permit (unless of course you want the special parking structure permit) and I always wait till the last minute for those things. I do think this is a minor problem and it should be fixed; however, parking wasn't a critical thing on my list of criteria when deciding on a school. I came from a UC undergrad campus that had worse parking conditions than here so this isn't a problem that's exclusive to USC.

If you want amazing clinical experience and like hands-on learning, then USC is a fantastic place. If you want research, we have that too. It is expensive and the price isn't likely to go down, but with the increased cost of the UC's that is becoming less of a factor (I actually know some UCLA folks that say they face a $150k-200k debt after school!!!) It's an important 4 years of your life, make sure you decide carefully on where you want to go.