Any Questions About Ireland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc2beIRELAND

1st Year Med- Done!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently a graduate entry student in RCSI in Ireland but am here is anyone has any questions about the grad med courses, cities or colleges - or life here in general - I'll do my best to answer :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I was just wondering if you knew anything about how the schools compare. My sister is starting at Trinity and I was wondering if, for example, your first year course curriculum and schedule was in line with anyone at Trinity's (or UCD, Cork, etc). I'm attending Cork and she'll be at Trinity and I was just hoping we would be able to study together. Also, do you happen to know if holidays/long weekends are the same for the different schools (or are there no long weekends)? Thanks you!!

Long weekends will be the same, there's one in October that I remember.

Members don't see this ad :)
hii iam a med graduate and has taken n passed pres/ tras 1 ,,ie the mcq thng,, now iwna proceed for osce tras,, iwna knw some info regarding it.

how heavy is the workload during the first year at RCSI? What is the typical day like?

Last edited:
Hi, I was just wondering if you knew anything about how the schools compare. My sister is starting at Trinity and I was wondering if, for example, your first year course curriculum and schedule was in line with anyone at Trinity's (or UCD, Cork, etc). I'm attending Cork and she'll be at Trinity and I was just hoping we would be able to study together. Also, do you happen to know if holidays/long weekends are the same for the different schools (or are there no long weekends)? Thanks you!!

Hey - Trinity only do an undergrad (5 or 6 year) programme and not a graduate one so their course would be totally different to ours - there would be premed science and probably more didactic lecture learning than us. I am sure the curricula for Trinity and Cork are on their websites, also if you are in Cork the graduate programme again would differ to the undergrad one in terms of content.

Holidays are the same generally for all the graduate students, a bit longer for the undergraduate students and I know Trinity always tended to start later in the autumn than the other colleges. Bank holidays (long weekends) are the same all over the country as are special days off like Good Friday.

As for the RCSI work load, a friend of mine did a great post on our first year here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056313831 and I also have written a good bit on life there in my blog (www.doc2be.ie) so search around and a lot of questions are probably answered there somewhere.

Sorry I can't be more helpful about Cork but you will have a blast there - great city! Don't forget to ring the Shandon Bells! :D

hii iam a med graduate and has taken n passed pres/ tras 1 ,,ie the mcq thng,, now iwna proceed for osce tras,, iwna knw some info regarding it.

Hi there

er not too sure what you're asking to be honest - but if you're looking for OSCE help buy Talley & O'Connor's Guide to Clinical Examination AKA The Bible

Could anyone tell me areas in Dublin (in walking distance to Trinity) that are nice to live in? My sister is starting there and we are looking at places to rent. I've heard that the Templebar area isnt too safe but that was from when my parents were at school. Is there any particular area in downtown Dublin we should be cautious about?

In general, what are the requirements to get into medical school in Ireland? i.e. MCAT? pre-med course work? etc.
Thanks

Could anyone tell me areas in Dublin (in walking distance to Trinity) that are nice to live in? My sister is starting there and we are looking at places to rent. I've heard that the Templebar area isnt too safe but that was from when my parents were at school. Is there any particular area in downtown Dublin we should be cautious about?

avoid Temple Bar - safety is not the problem, noise and drunk tourists are. Camden Street, Aungier Street, Baggot Street, Harcourt Street are where most of ours live and they are great spots for being near pubs, shops, college etc. Camden Street is busy at weekends so can get noisy at night but nowhere near as crazy (or vomity) as Temple Bar

In general, what are the requirements to get into medical school in Ireland? i.e. MCAT? pre-med course work? etc.
Thanks

yeah, all of that as there are interviews but I think the people who deal with that for North Americans are Atlantic Bridge so they would have the info for you.

Irish or EU students have a totally different entry requirement (don't need science degree, no interviews, on merit of GAMSAT exam only - kinda like MCAT) so I wouldn't be sure what entry requirements for you guys are like.

Also you could email the Dean's Office of each school and see what sort of MCAT scores they are looking at but Atlantic Bridge probably has overall info.

Good luck!

hey doc2be- do you have any recommendations regarding cell phone service providers? I've mainly looked at "3" so far, but I'd be glad for your input. Trying to gauge how reasonably priced smartphone plans in Ireland are, or whether I should put the extra $$$ towards something else.

I have a data plan for my Blackberry that's about 40 euro a month, but you can get cheaper ones than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey doc2beIRELAND, the tuition in Ireland seems rather steep. I am a newbie. Would you happen to know if student loans in America would cover most of the expenses?

The second question I have is what will be the probability of matching into a residency in the US a few years from now?

Hey doc2beIRELAND, the tuition in Ireland seems rather steep. I am a newbie. Would you happen to know if student loans in America would cover most of the expenses?

The second question I have is what will be the probability of matching into a residency in the US a few years from now?

I can answer your first question but not the second at the moment. I received my award letter from one of the Irish schools and according to my FAFSA/SAR, they cover all expenses including living, textbooks, equipment and misc. = somewhere in the region of 85,000USD....I don't plan on using any of this tho as the interest rate for unsubsidized loans between 6.8-7.9% which is extremely high.

Hope that answer helps a little.

Cheers.

I can answer your first question but not the second at the moment. I received my award letter from one of the Irish schools and according to my FAFSA/SAR, they cover all expenses including living, textbooks, equipment and misc. = somewhere in the region of 85,000USD....I don't plan on using any of this tho as the interest rate for unsubsidized loans between 6.8-7.9% which is extremely high.

Hope that answer helps a little.

Cheers.

Oh hey Atran, didn't realize you were American too :p. Wait, are you? I just reread over your post, you talk like a Canadian but you filled out the FAFSA?

Yes, it covers everything you need pretty much. I'm taking out close to the max the first year just in case anything unforseen happens, then I figure I'll scale it back once I figure out how much everything actually costs me over there. Also as long as you have the paperwork filled out/etc completed for FAFSA/UCD's award forms you don't need to pay the full tuition by Aug 1st (US students only).

As to the other question check out the Where are we now thread above for some answers. I can't seem to pin it down myself, but from the responses it seems 75%+ match where they want to, assuming people were people honest about IM/Family being their first choice. Again, take this with a grain of salt, since this info is based solely on the Irish students that have posted on these forums.

Oh hey Atran, didn't realize you were American too :p. Wait, are you? I just reread over your post, you talk like a Canadian but you filled out the FAFSA?

Yes, it covers everything you need pretty much. I'm taking out close to the max the first year just in case anything unforseen happens, then I figure I'll scale it back once I figure out how much everything actually costs me over there. Also as long as you have the paperwork filled out/etc completed for FAFSA/UCD's award forms you don't need to pay the full tuition by Aug 1st (US students only).

As to the other question check out the Where are we now thread above for some answers. I can't seem to pin it down myself, but from the responses it seems 75%+ match where they want to, assuming people were people honest about IM/Family being their first choice. Again, take this with a grain of salt, since this info is based solely on the Irish students that have posted on these forums.

Hey Lbgem,

I hold dual citizenship :)

Cheers,

Thanks but I am new to all this, so what you said about student loans is not exactly clear to me. I am not familiar with the acronyms either. I will eventually seek a primer on financial aid but are you both trying to tell me that student loans will cover ALL of my expenses in medical school in Ireland?

Secondly, is there a more reliable source that talks about matching into a residency in the US after medical school in Ireland?

How competitive is Ireland in terms of getting admitted to medical school?
a) more competitive than US MD programs
b) less competitive than US MD but more competitive than US DO programs
c) less competitive than US DO programs
d) less competitive than the Caribbean schools

Or you could just tell me what GPA/MCATs the 4-year programs look for.

Yes for US students. Loans can cover everything, otherwise I wouldn't be able to go. :p FAFSA, just google it.

Unfortunately IMG is an IMG, no matter how good the school is so the ranking is probably thus unless the program director is familiar with the Irish school system: US MD > US DO > Irish grad >> Carribean.

The GPA/MCAT scores are in the other threads, do a little bit of looking around eh? :p

Oh and if you find a reliable source let me know, but ABP doesn't post match rates as far as I can find, and neither does the schools on their website (though I think there are presentations from time to time, and the Irish students report back what they've seen/heard from that/their classmates to these threads).

Well, in terms of competitiveness for entry it is not as simple as picking a, b, c, or d. It's a subjective process with some elements of objectivity like having the minimum scores to be considered. If you scour the forums, i.e. the stats sticky, you'll see a range of scores between 3.0 - 3.8 and for the GEM students, an MCAT between 29-36 (these are just general observations I've made). After having gone through the process and speaking with Atlantic Bridge (the mediator through which you will apply), there were well over 1,200 applicants this year for 200+/- North American seats. If you asking what a safe GPA/MCAT combination is....I would say 3.2+/30+ with good research, clinical exp....Irish schools are good schools with good international reputation/rankings....Don't expect them to be diploma mills. And like with any school, apply early...I applied in March (which is really late), and managed to squeeze through. But general trend is to apply early in the app season....

Note: With regard to UCD, I think the class of 2015 received a letter stating that a minimum of 75%+ pass rate for each step of the USMLE must be maintained by the school's students in order to continue receiving US fed loans...If the result is <75%, then the US department of Education will only fund one additional year and then you're on your own....just food for thought.

Last edited:
I managed to get in with a 27 MCAT score, however my impression is that's the exception rather than the rule but I did just fine in my first year at UCC. Having lower stats did not hinder me once I got there, I would say I was in the top 25% of the class.

Note: With regard to UCD, I think the class of 2015 received a letter stating that a minimum of 75%+ pass rate for each step of the USMLE must be maintained by the school's students in order to continue receiving US fed loans...If the result is <75%, then the US department of Education will only fund one additional year and then you're on your own....just food for thought.

Is the USMLE pass rate rather low normally?

Why is DO > Irish medical education?

*I* don't think that. I think in some areas of medicine Irish med > US allo in terms of patient care from what I've heard and I like that you get more diagnostic skills and less reliance on tests up the wazoo. In terms of management US allo > Irish med. Overall education I feel Irish med is on par with US allopathic schools (better than some - i.e. why I decided not to go for my state school, worse than others). But some people you will run into don't know anything about non US schools (i.e. one person asked me why I was going to med school in a third world country :rolleyes:)

Is the USMLE pass rate rather low normally?

I do not believe the USMLE pass rates are a direct reflection of the quality of education. If you review the AMA's publication regarding US Allopathic MD, US Osteopathic DO, and IMG USMLE pass rates you'll find 95%+, 85%+, and 75%, respectively (you can look it up, but this is what I remember from reading it a few months ago - numbers may be slightly off). If I am to hazard a guess, it is most likely due to the teaching style and goal of the university. As part of my graduate degree, I took 4 first-year US MD Courses and noticed that they are basically geared towards prep for the USMLE. Our lab sessions, seminars, midterms/exams, etc. were all USMLE type questions and our professors would often say "you need to be aware of this question or disease as it often shows up on the boards....." So, perhaps it is the teaching methods, examination methods, etc. that are different - can we say better? Probably not...just different. A third year friend of mine at UCD says there is little USMLE prep at the university, and most just study in groups on their own starting in first year...and from his class of north american students, all passed with respectable/good scores except one individual that he knows of. Many of my professors in surgery, including chief of departments and hospital CEOs have graduated from a european medical school and believe their diagnostic methods and skill are excellent....from what they have been able to achieve in their career, I'd agree.

Last edited:
I was looking to find a good long distance calling solution for calling North America from Ireland. I was looking to VOIP as a possible option. Anyone have suggestions on what kind of service would make the most sense?

I was looking to find a good long distance calling solution for calling North America from Ireland. I was looking to VOIP as a possible option. Anyone have suggestions on what kind of service would make the most sense?

I think Skype long distance isn't too bad in terms of cost, but then again I never use it since I just use normal Skype.

I think Skype long distance isn't too bad in terms of cost, but then again I never use it since I just use normal Skype.

how is the service using data on a mobile phone? i heard there can be lag sometimes.

how is the service using data on a mobile phone? i heard there can be lag sometimes.

Skype is awful from overseas. Vonage works well when it does work. Otherwise it just does not work. There is no mid-way.

i know there is a white coat ceremony at RCSI, and I was wondering if you had to take some sort of oath? ( i know here in Canada, medical students take the hippocratic oath during such a ceremony and it is quite formal)

Skype is awful from overseas. Vonage works well when it does work. Otherwise it just does not work. There is no mid-way.

Ive never had trouble calling the US from Ireland with Skype and I do it everyday. I pay about 5 euro a month for unlimited US/Canada calls and its brilliant. Esp helps when your partner lives in Washington state and you are able to talk without worrying about costs...

Ive never had trouble calling the US from Ireland with Skype and I do it everyday. I pay about 5 euro a month for unlimited US/Canada calls and its brilliant. Esp helps when your partner lives in Washington state and you are able to talk without worrying about costs...

I've used it a few times and it's always seemed to work. Sometimes I have to speak a little louder but that's the only issue I've noticed.

hey everyone! im a senior in grade 12 in Canada and just wondering if anyone else got in (from Canada) and can share their stats? my grades are pretty good, last year i had a 88% average and hopefully this year too!

does anyone know around how many people apply to the 6 year programs at the 3 schools that offer them (RCSI, NUI galway and UCD) vs how many actually get in?

also- i applied to the 3 schools but didn't ask for courier service, anyone know how much time they give you to respond to an acceptance (if i get one that is :p)

thanks so much :D

i know there is a white coat ceremony at RCSI, and I was wondering if you had to take some sort of oath? ( i know here in Canada, medical students take the hippocratic oath during such a ceremony and it is quite formal)

Yes it's formal and yes there's a modified oath that was written by the SU a few years ago (as far as I remember). But the oath is done en mass so no one would notice if you didn't chime in. It's the same one you say at graduation.

does anyone know around how many people apply to the 6 year programs at the 3 schools that offer them (RCSI, NUI galway and UCD) vs how many actually get in?

also- i applied to the 3 schools but didn't ask for courier service, anyone know how much time they give you to respond to an acceptance (if i get one that is :p)

I would have marked the courier service. They didn't charge for the courier in some cases.

For the 4 year program it was 3 weeks from the date on the letter NOT when you get it, to respond to an acceptance.

What is the make-up of the classes at the Irish medical schools?

I've read that they're roughly 50% Irish 50% International. Is this accurate?

Does that international figure include EU students or is that just US/Canadian students?

What is the make-up of the classes at the Irish medical schools?

I've read that they're roughly 50% Irish 50% International. Is this accurate?

Does that international figure include EU students or is that just US/Canadian students?

This year, approx. 105 Grad Entry Med students at UCD. approx. 25/105 are from N. America (the rest are Irish) with 22/25 being Canadian (numbers maybe +/- 2). I don't know much about the 5/6 year program. I know the GEM program is relatively selective with around 1500 apps from N. America this year for around 250 N. American seats across all Irish schools (according to ABP).

Cheers,

A.

22 Canadians, but only 1 Atran ;)

Is there really 22 of you guys? I thought it was 25 internationals? We have one Malaysian and one South African, so i figured 20 Canadians.

As a US citizen, when you graduate from and Irish GEM program, are you an MD? ...Or what degree do you hold when you go back to the US to do a residency?

Are the coursework prerequisites the same as in the States (a year of bio, year of gen chem, year of physics, and year of orgo), or are there any differences?

I finished my undergrad degree in 2007, but it's in anthropology, so I'm in a postbac now doing the premed classes. I'll be finished with everything but orgo in May and was planning on taking the full year of orgo during the summer, but if I were to get accepted to a school in Ireland in the spring (I applied to Trinity and Galway, both 5yr programs), would I be required to take orgo before beginning in the fall? It would be great to save that money and put it toward tuition (and work over the summer instead of being in class full-time).

I know you're at RSCI, but I was wondering if there happened to be a general rule about this for all the schools, like there is in the States.

Thanks for the help!

I used vonage for all 4 years. Not free but it was like having a local home phone. No complaints.

The last time I checked there are no formal pre-reqs at the Irish schools for graduate entry med, just the standardized tests (and for the 5-year programmes not even those).

Irish undergrad programs are really narrowly focused with few to no opportunities to take courses outside your program. Setting undergraduate pre-reqs would basically bar most Irish applicants who didn't take a biology degree.

Are the coursework prerequisites the same as in the States (a year of bio, year of gen chem, year of physics, and year of orgo), or are there any differences?

I finished my undergrad degree in 2007, but it's in anthropology, so I'm in a postbac now doing the premed classes. I'll be finished with everything but orgo in May and was planning on taking the full year of orgo during the summer, but if I were to get accepted to a school in Ireland in the spring (I applied to Trinity and Galway, both 5yr programs), would I be required to take orgo before beginning in the fall? It would be great to save that money and put it toward tuition (and work over the summer instead of being in class full-time).

I know you're at RSCI, but I was wondering if there happened to be a general rule about this for all the schools, like there is in the States.

Thanks for the help!

This is a great thread

I applied to ABP this year with fairly competitive stats for Ireland (3.8/4.3, 32S MCAT). My main concern (like most others here) is obtaining a North American residency (would also much prefer a Canadian residency). Chances of matching are much improved when one is able to do an elective at the program they are applying at. How much time do you have to do international electives in 4th year (if any)?

My research has indicated that not all Canadian schools even allow international rotations and the ones that do tend to be somewhat competitive (though not sure how you would "compete" for a clerkship rotation).

Does anyone here have any experience with this.

Thank you.

Hi
Am a medical graduate from SQU in Oman, and have few questions if any1 can kindy answer them would be appreciated,

- My medical school is non-EU but its WHO recognised
- The duration of study was 4 years for bachelors in health sciences then 3 years for the MD
- I graduated and finishing soon my internship here in Oman, did 4 months in surgery then 4 months in Internal Medicine and right now finishing my 4 months in Pediatrics.
- I also finished my IELTS with an overall band of 7 and minimum band score was 6.5 in reading, the rest were 7 and 7.5

On the irish medical council website i think i belong to category 4, and it says that i either have to do the PRES exams or send my internship experience to be evaluated and then might be exempted from sitting the exams.

My question is does any1 know how easy or hard is it to get the internship experience recognized, because as far as i know our internship program is recognized in the UK and its even equivalent to the 2 years internship done there although ours is only 1 year.

hey everyone! im a senior in grade 12 in Canada and just wondering if anyone else got in (from Canada) and can share their stats? my grades are pretty good, last year i had a 88% average and hopefully this year too!

I'm in the 6 year programme at UCD, but i came from the States. Actually, i'm the ONLY one from the States with 7 other Canadians who are also right out of high school. There's one girl in my class who had about the same gpa as you, so as long as you do well in your AP exams, have good extra currics, and all that other stuff you should be fine. I'm not sure how many got into the 6 yrs one in Galway or RCSI.

You have 2 weeks to make your deposit. That deposit also goes towards your tuition fees.
hope this helps :) and good luck!

Hi

I am EU graduate (Lithuania) but not an EU-Citizen. I have also done PLAB (part I&II in 2006).

Am I eligible for Temporary Registration without TRAS in Ireland?
If yes then how should I proceed?
Do I need IELTS/ Is OET acceptable alternative?

Sorry for too many questions in single post.
Thanks

Does any one have any idea on surgical residency training in IRELAND...?

Shadix, you should be eligible for temporary registration. I would call the medical council (www.medicalcouncil.ie) for more information.

Harisit, getting into the BST (basic surgical training, sort of like general surgical residency before specialist training) can be hard to get into. You would have to ask more specific questions. The BST was 2 years, but this year I think they changed it to a 3 year training scheme. The order goes: intern year, then BST, then HST (higher specialist training depending what scheme you want to do).