Any questions about UCSD School of Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrazyIslander

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any questions about UCSD SOP? Did admissions sent out interview letters? Please feel free to ask any questions:

-Where to stay
-What to do in SD
-Great surf spots
-What are the classes like
-Where are the best fish tacos
-Etc....

Good luck to all that are interviewing at any schools....
:clap:

CrazyIslander

Members don't see this ad.

Crazy,

How was first semester down there with the med students?

Originally posted by CrazyIslander
Does anybody have any questions about UCSD SOP? Did admissions sent out interview letters? Please feel free to ask any questions:

-Where to stay
-What to do in SD
-Great surf spots
-What are the classes like
-Where are the best fish tacos
-Etc....

Good luck to all that are interviewing at any schools....
:clap:

CrazyIslander

How many students applied, interviewed, and accepted last year?
Also how does it feel to have about 30 students in your classes?

Members don't see this ad :)
How hard is it to buy parking on campus? I am driving in for the interview and I know that at UCLA it's nearly impossible to buy daily permits, how about UCSD? Is that going to be a problem? Also, does anyone know who many people were invited to interview for the 30 spots available?

Can you just give a little overview of what the curriculum is like at the school so far, and also what you think the school's greatest strengths are? Is there anything that makes the school especially unique in your mind? I will be interviewing in late Jan. and feel I know least about UCSD out of the schools I applied to. The website seems limited since the school is so new. Thanks!

UCSD rocks. Beautiful location. Peeps aren't as plastique as LA and it's easier to drive around. UCSD is also a bastion of leading biology research (Francis Crick is chillin at the salk institute in la jolla.)

the program is modeled after ucsf, and i'm certain it'll be a top-tier program if it isn't already. Having a class of 30 seems awesome to me, but i guess it's problematic as well.

Triangulation,

It is good to hear from you! As you can tell I haven't been posting anything because I was busting my hump with school. The quarter went well, I passed all of my classes (The first year is Honors/Pass/Fail) and I am now just chillin and getting ready for next quarter.
Let me tell you being out of school for a couple of years I had to reteach myself the discipline of studying. Boy was it a transition for me to go from working (with a nice income) to becoming a student (and eating BP&Jelly). Hopefully it will pay off in the end (from last quarter it seems like it).
Unfortunately we did not have any classes with the Med-Students, but we did have clinics with them. Right after the first week of school we were assigned to attend clincs. What was shocking was right when we were done with Patient Assesment and SOAP note taking during the first week, we were already in the clincs evaluating patients and filling there prescirption and consulting them. It was pretty cool to be with a patient, have the attending MD teach you about patient assesment, try to make a diagnosis, and then discuss with the Med-students the plan of action. After that then we will discuss with the attending PharmD about the prescription and he/she will teach us about the drug therapy, how to fill, and how to consult the patient. It is pretty draining running around the clinic all night but the accomplishment of helping a person improve their quality of life will always energize me to look forward to the next clinc.

Besides my lengthy story, If I remember you are at UCSF? How is that going? What do you think of the program? How do you like it up there (that is where I am originally from). If you are not at UCSF sorry....

CrazyIslander

****EarlyEditionDude:

Off the 500 that applied, 200 were asked to interview and from that they only took 25 applicants. Since the advent of the PharmCAS, there has been an increase in the applicant size and for the incoming class of 2008 there will be 30 spots open.
For my class there are 25 students. At the start it seemed wierd that I will be with this group of 25 for four years. But right from the first day, everybody seemed to get along. We are a very tight group (almost like a fraternity) that helps each other out with classwork and problems outside academia. We also do alot of things with the 2nd years and they have really taken a lot out of their time to take us under their wing with their guidence and support.
As for the Deans, Professors, and Staff...They have all been very accomidating to the students. There is no office hours, all we have to do is knock on their doors and they will stop whatever it is that they are doing and help us out with whatever it is. The professors know you by a first name basis as well as the deans
and staff.

***tanyas:

Parking is not a problem. On the other-hand traffic around the school is crazy during the morning. Leave early as possible. There are two parking information booths, go to the one on Gilman Drive (right next to the Flags) ask for a day pass and they can show you where to park. Usally I will park in the "Gilman Structure" and all you have to do is walk a block west to the pharmacy building. I would try and buy the parking pass a day early (tell them that you have an interview the next day and they should give you a pass for the next day, there very nice). I would walk around the area to try and situate your self because the day of the interview you dont want to show up late because you were lost or waiting line for a pass.
As for how many people are being interviewed this year all that I can say is that our class had 200 people interview for 25 positions.

PS Good Luck!!!

****azpremed:

In regards to the cirriculum...very challanging but very stimulating. In the first quarter we had Adv Organic/Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmacy Practice, Law and Ethics, Pharmaceutics, and Biostatistics. As with most of the classes we were given weekly homework assignments, projects, and readings. I would say I had to study at least 3-4 hours a day (esp memorizing drug names, formula, and DDI). Classes start around 8 am and usally end around 2 to 4 pm, what is really challanging is that in the middle of the quarter we started Pharmaceutics (and learned all of it in about a month!!!) and that takes up alot of time with the amount of reading.
Some things that are strong/unique about the program...1) You are working with patients the first week of school at the clinics so you are exposed to pharmacy practice and care immediately. 2) The faculty are accesable and egar to work with you. 3) Our cirricula is intermixed with the medical school allowing us to break free from the "mortar and pestle" days and become part of an interdisciplinary team working with MD/RN/DO/PA in provinding them with drug expertise. 4) The Pharmacy communities and pharmaceutical companies (which are big down here) in SD are very excited about the new program and want to do collaborations with the school. 5) Many of the faculty (prfessors/deans) are leaders in their area (mostly grads from UCSF) and are teaching us not only breakthrough sciences but are shaping us to become leaders in our fields that we choose
6) If there is any area that we are interested (pharmaceutical science, economics, practice) we can make our own elective pathway (some thing that is a bit different from UCSF).

Is there pathways to follow similar to UCSF? Can you focus in one area? What is the community with other students like?

CrazyIslander,

Can you check your pm? ;) I sent a message.

~Cyclopropane

what's the guy to girl ratio?