SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Any rags to riches stories? Encouragement for the pre-pharm doubters!

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by kgard7777, Jun 20, 2008.

1. kgard7777

kgard7777 2+ Year Member

Apr 27, 2008
    There are a lot of people I know off and on this board that think that Pharmacy is a great career but the chemistry and the math make it impossible for them to even consider this as a career option. Or they did poorly in school and only "SMART" people become Pharmacist. Well are there any people out there that were not that great in school but chose Pharmacy and turned their grades around and got accepted into Pharm school and shocked even your parents? lol Please share your stories to encourage others...
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Amahl

Amahl 5+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Yea I could use a little encouragement myself
  4. bacillus1

bacillus1 7+ Year Member

May 27, 2008
    Well I go to a 0-6 program so it's pretty easy to get into. As long as your HS GPA was over a 3.3 or a 3.5 and your SATs over like a 1200, you got in. Of course our attrition rate is high, but if you make it through the program, you're a pharmaccist!
  5. DoctorRx1986

DoctorRx1986 10+ Year Member

Feb 11, 2008
    I don't have any particular story in mind, but in terms of the intellect required to become a pharmacist, I once read that the "average" IQ of pharmacists is in the 120s. That is more than one standard deviation above the standard "normal" IQ of 100 and puts pharmacists as well as other health care professionals, including physicians, in the top 5-10% intellectually. So, yes, you do need to be "smart". I am sure all of those students who turned around and earned the grades to get into pharmacy school have potential and intelligence, but they failed to use it out of laziness, life circumstances, or a plethora of other reasons before they turned their grades around. Such grade changes, especially in challenging science and math coursework, do not just manifest themselves unless the person has above average intelligence, works hard, and perseveres. I am sure EVERYONE on SDN has above or superior intelligence. Quite honestly, I don't believe an average joe would make it into pharmacy school. Nowadays, more than ever before, it takes more than just a simple desire to make into a health professional school. More over, an average joe would probably never even consider going to pharmacy school.
  6. ClassOf78

ClassOf78 7+ Year Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Yes, I believe you can be an "average joe" and get into pharmacy school, get through pharmacy school, and be a GREAT pharmacist. I know I did it 30 yrs ago when it wasn't so competitive, but I would even say I was a below average student. My daughter just got into USN and she is not a genius, BUT a very very hard worker. Maybe she is above average (I have no idea what her IQ is, for that matter I have no idea what my IQ is) She has >3.8 in college. I have no doubts about her ability to do well. Ambition is defined as a cherished desire--and it's super if you are "smart" and ambitious, but if I had to choose one or the other as a desirable in an individual it would certianly be ambition. Ambition will take you to levels of accomplishment you have never imagined. So, YES, the answer is YES, YOU CAN DO IT. Get busy turning it around if you want to get into pharmacy school. Good luck to you my friend.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  7. UES Girl

UES Girl Banned 5+ Year Member

Oct 21, 2007

Just a friendly advice:

If you guys want some inspirational stories - you need to befriend the search function on this forum and dig, dig and dig.

I doubt most people will post just because the crowd from the last application cycle posted their inspirational stories at least a few times - there was quite a number of threads identical to this one.

Being proactive and doing your own research will only help you in the end as some of the past stories people posted are quite amazing. I remember crying while reading a few.
  8. RaginCajun

RaginCajun 2+ Year Member

Nov 3, 2007
    I am the only person in my family to ever make it beyond 10th grade (high school), can't spell worth a damn and made it in. I joined the military to pay for undergrad but I believe the people with wealthy parents worked just as hard.
    If you really want to do this there should not be any excuses. Be your own success story because when everything goes down nothing will matter except what is on your little letter from the school. So get off of SDN and go study. Good luck!