any real benefit in being chief?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LumenOus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This hasn't been the most active forum [long time listener, first time caller :p ] but I thought I'd check...

I was asked to be chief for a large university program, and I'm wondering if this will actually help with my GI application? I was planning on applying during 3rd year regardless [want to buff up my research] - in everyone's experience, does being chief matter on an application? Or is it just helpful to have additional research/hopefully stronger letters of rec?

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

This hasn't been the most active forum [long time listener, first time caller :p ] but I thought I'd check...

I was asked to be chief for a large university program, and I'm wondering if this will actually help with my GI application? I was planning on applying during 3rd year regardless [want to buff up my research] - in everyone's experience, does being chief matter on an application? Or is it just helpful to have additional research/hopefully stronger letters of rec?

Thanks for any input!

Yes it will definitely help. It doesn't guarantee you a position, but with the highly competitive nature of the fellowship, the more facets of your application that make your application unique, the better your chances of matching at the program of your choice.

Thanks for any input!

If you are giving up the year regardless, then being a chief is a decent idea. Can't say it ever looked like fun to me, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks! I know it won't be the easiest year, but i like the idea [at least now...] of being an advocate for the residents, solidify my own knowledge base, become a better teacher, do more research... may feel differently this time next year... hahaha

i hear it is becoming more and more like a prereq to have a chief year because GI is getting so competitive. So many of the new fellows were previous chiefs

i hear it is becoming more and more like a prereq to have a chief year because GI is getting so competitive. So many of the new fellows were previous chiefs

Not quite to that level yet. Where I am right now (major program on east coast), no one from my current year did a chief year. 1 amongst the fellows a year above was chief. We have 4-5 fellows a year.

I'm trying to weigh whether it's worth it to do a chief year or not too. Seems obvious that it would be helpful if you don't have a lot of research or have low scores, but how useful is it if you've got a few pubs and seem decently competitive. How many doors does it open?