Any reason NOT to withdraw?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SailCrazy

I gotta have more cowbell
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... I have been fortunate enough to receive a couple of acceptances from some of my top-choice schools. :thumbup:

I still have some applications under review post-secondary at a few schools where I would not go for an interview if I received an offer. (I'd love to see the schools, but can't justify spending the $$$ just to take a visit to a far away (out of state) school that I would not choose to attend.)

Initially I thought that since I forked over the money for the secondary fee, I'd wait to see if I was offered an interview (just out of curiosity) before withdrawing. I wouldn't be taking an interview spot away from anyone, and my curiosity would be satisfied. The more I think about it, the more I think I should withdraw now and save the committee the time of reviewing my file.

Thoughts? Opinions? Is there any reason that I shouldn't withdraw?

Members don't see this ad.

Your reasoning sounds good to me -- I'd probably withdraw if I knew everything for next year was in order. Must be a great feeling :D.

Congratulations!!! :)

If you don't envision yourself attending some of the schools you still have apps out at, why waste the money when you can use it towards your deposit to your top choice. Sounds like a good deal :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have actually been doing the same thing- waiting to see if I got an interview at some schools just out of curiosity even though I was accepted into a school higher on my list. I'm definitely going to turn down interviews, but it's interesting to see if they are willing to offer me the interview in the first place. Now that you mention it though, it is a waste of their time, and I guess I should probably drop those apps too.

unicorn06 said:
I have actually been doing the same thing- waiting to see if I got an interview at some schools just out of curiosity even though I was accepted into a school higher on my list. I'm definitely going to turn down interviews, but it's interesting to see if they are willing to offer me the interview in the first place. Now that you mention it though, it is a waste of their time, and I guess I should probably drop those apps too.
huh, so this is what the privileged are doing in late October. *Waiting to see if they get an interview, just out of curiosity.* :laugh: just playing--you guys are hilarious. congrats to you both--I know you deserve it.

SailCrazy said:
So... I have been fortunate enough to receive a couple of acceptances from some of my top-choice schools. :thumbup:

I still have some applications under review post-secondary at a few schools where I would not go for an interview if I received an offer. (I'd love to see the schools, but can't justify spending the $$$ just to take a visit to a far away (out of state) school that I would not choose to attend.)

Initially I thought that since I forked over the money for the secondary fee, I'd wait to see if I was offered an interview (just out of curiosity) before withdrawing. I wouldn't be taking an interview spot away from anyone, and my curiosity would be satisfied. The more I think about it, the more I think I should withdraw now and save the committee the time of reviewing my file.

Thoughts? Opinions? Is there any reason that I shouldn't withdraw?

SailCrazy- we are in the same position! I feel bad about letting go of those interviews because all I know about them are what I've read online or in the MSAR. I keep wondering, "What if that's the perfect school for me?" Then I remember how much I owe on credit cards and that feeling goes away. I'm probably going to cancel many interviews and withdraw my apps from another 7-8 schools. Except for the knowledge that you received an interview from a school, I can't find any reason why to keep those applications active.

I've never been so indecisive in my life!

SailCrazy,

Congratulations! :)

To answer your question, I would withdraw. No point in spending more money and time (both yours and the interview committee's) if you've already got what you want.

Just WITHDRAW!

You are going to be a doctor, who cares how many interviews you get...you already got into your top choice...

Come on people! Have some mercy on those of us with no interviews. Don't waste schools' time just for some curiosity/self indulgence.

If you aren't going to go to the interviews then withdraw.

Playing the other side....
If there is a possibility you would go to the interview stay in.
If there is a possibility you would go to the school given scholarship money stay in.
(I assume that if you have some good acceptances you have good stats.)

willow18 said:
Come on people! Have some mercy on those of us with no interviews. Don't waste schools' time just for some curiosity/self indulgence.
It wouldn't be just for self indulgence :p ... How long to they spend reviewing an application? I'd guess that 15 minutes is an unrealistically long time. At around $80 per secondary, I'm paying well over $320 per hour for them to briefly review my file. :wow:

titoincali said:
I feel bad about letting go of those interviews because all I know about them are what I've read online or in the MSAR. I keep wondering, "What if that's the perfect school for me?" Then I remember how much I owe on credit cards and that feeling goes away.
That is a bit of it for me too. How do I know for sure that I don't want to go? But you're right it just isn't worth my money and the time (mine or the committees.)

And I appreciate the good natured teasing about starting this thread. It is a pretty nice "problem" to have. I figured that there were a few others in the same position and that it would be worth discussing a bit. I'll be withdrawing shortly, so I suppose theoretically I may have opened up 5 minutes of the committee's time for someone else's file to be reviewed.

:luck: Good luck to those of you waiting for your acceptance. It will come!

SailCrazy said:
That is a bit of it for me too. How do I know for sure that I don't want to go? But you're right it just isn't worth my money and the time (mine or the committees.)

And I appreciate the good natured teasing about starting this thread. It is a pretty nice "problem" to have. I figured that there were a few others in the same position and that it would be worth discussing a bit. I'll be withdrawing shortly, so I suppose theoretically I may have opened up 5 minutes of the committee's time for someone else's file to be reviewed.

:luck: Good luck to those of you waiting for your acceptance. It will come!

I withdrew from 3 interviews after I got my first acceptance. If I didn't get into my top choices I'd still be happy to go to the school I'm already in, plus it opens up an interview spot for someone else :)

of course, if I got an interview invite from Harvard I'd probably go *just to see* but that's not likely to happen ;)

angietron3000 said:
I withdrew from 3 interviews after I got my first acceptance. If I didn't get into my top choices I'd still be happy to go to the school I'm already in, plus it opens up an interview spot for someone else :)

of course, if I got an interview invite from Harvard I'd probably go *just to see* but that's not likely to happen ;)
I'm with you there. I definitely wasn't going to take an interview spot away from someone else at a school that I wouldn't seriously consider.

Same with Harvard too, though I doubt I'm going to complete the secondary, so that is extremely unlikely for me! :D

ugh, my problem is that I have no top choice. I'm holding on to one acceptance, but I really can't make up my mind about how much I like a school until I see each one for myself. This comes from how I chose my undergrad school; it was actually the last place I wanted to go until I did an overnight stay after being accepted. Unfortunately this makes for an expensive cycle of flying out to every interview.

Also, stay with a med student overnight if possible! It is great to just get to know about the school from a non-polished brochure/adcom perspective and its student culture.