Any reason why optometry branched off as its own school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted853480

I am applying to OD schools as a backup as was just wondering about the above question.

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to OD schools as a backup as was just wondering about the above question.

This is a pretty good read if you're truly interested- http://www.opt.indiana.edu/people/faculty/graphics/goss/opthx.pdf

If you're looking for a short answer: The field of Optometry was based off of physics (optics/refraction etc.) while ophthalmology was based on biology (anatomy/surgery etc.). The fact the their scopes are similar is more of a "convergent evolution" rather than a "phylogenetic split" if we were to define it in ecological terms.

There still are quite a few differences in Optometry vs Medical School, so choosing Optometry as a "backup" may not be the best choice if you haven't looked into the differences between the two fields.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, opthos don't profit from giving prescription glasses to patients. They profit through surgery and lasik.

The two communities are apart as groups do things in higher frequencies.

Same with psychology and psychiatry to a large extent. Ones psychotherapy. Another is psychopharmacology based.

Similar thing with my field in another ten years. Therapy takes a long time. EMGs, nerve conduction, and tPA injections need groups doing their own things. So physiatry and neurology do that at high frequency. The rehab will be all therapists

Last edited:
Also, opthos don't profit from giving prescription glasses to patients. They profit through surgery and lasik.

The two communities are apart as groups do things in higher frequencies.

Same with psychology and psychiatry to a large extent. Ones psychotherapy. Another is psychopharmacology based.

Similar thing with my field in another ten years. Therapy takes a long time. EMGs, nerve conduction, and tPA injections need groups doing their own things. So physiatry and neurology do that at high frequency. The rehab will be all therapists
I would say the first point isn't accurate. Plenty of ophthos prescribe glasses in comprehensive or similar clinics. Sure, some may be paid for via medicare postoperatively, but a lot of patients continue visiting their ophthalmologist for routine, yearly care which can include refractions which are typically paid for. The ophthalmologists just typically have a technician refract and prescribe based off of that (not that some optoms don't practice similarly). It does behoove the patient to see a quality optom for their Rx, but time is money, friend. They definitely profit. Not trying to be pedantic.

Physio is right, the two practices do operate in some harmony despite all of the lobbying optometrists are doing for more scope of practice. Not all Optoms want to do minor procedures. I think an ophthalmology/optometry practice is one of the best settings to practice in, personally. I enjoy pathology and I enjoy helping treat and manage it within my ability.

Reactions: 1 user