getunconcsious

Very tired PGY1
10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2004
Cloud 8
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm wondering the same thing! At this rate, they'll get around to interviewing us sometime in may! Just send me the rejection already, geez! :rolleyes:

ajt2003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
getunconcsious said:
I'm wondering the same thing! At this rate, they'll get around to interviewing us sometime in may! Just send me the rejection already, geez! :rolleyes:
That's EXACTLY how I feel...what's the deal?!

And MAY? But isn't that past the "your interview is really for the waitlist" date?

SwankyLove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2005
Southern California
Status
i have been waiting too. ive been trying to determine if not getting rejected is good this late in the game. its good that i havent gotten rejected and maybe i sound like a cry baby to those who have been rejected............but its not so good that i havent been interviewed or much less offered an interview.

i think theyre just slow. i heard that this yr they gave everyone secondaries and its obviously much more work.

:luck:

DrDarwin

Naturally selected
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2004
Down House
Status
Do you guys really want to have to spend five years in medical school? (Yeah, yeah, it may only take four years, but not for the vast majority of students.) I am likely just a little bitter about being rejected, but I probably would not have attended given the option of attending a different school of comparable caliber. Stanford is great and I do think it's curriculum is attractive, but I would prefer to have to option to study/conduct research for an additional year, rather than be required to do so.

To those of you still waiting, I think anyone who articulated a compelling and detailed (i.e., specific) justification for desiring to pursue a scholarly concentration will receive serious consideration, regardless of stats. Good luck to everyone.

CarlosMielefan

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2004
Status
SwankyLove said:
i think theyre just slow. i heard that this yr they gave everyone secondaries and its obviously much more work.

:luck:
Poor excuse. Every school gets a similar number of applicants. Why is Stanford the only one that uses the number of applicants to explain its excuitiatingly slow review. It's like Stanford, please get it together. You ain't all that (refer to the USnews if there is any doubt, Stany baby).

IndyZX

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2003
Status
DrDarwin said:
To those of you still waiting, I think anyone who articulated a compelling and detailed (i.e., specific) justification for desiring to pursue a scholarly concentration will receive serious consideration, regardless of stats. Good luck to everyone.
I'm not sure how we were supposed to give a detailed justification; the answer had to be only 200 words or something.

I got rejected... and I'm bitter about it.

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
IndyZX said:
I'm not sure how we were supposed to give a detailed justification; the answer had to be only 200 words or something.

I've a friend who asked me to ask you if moosehead means anything to you.

DrDarwin

Naturally selected
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2004
Down House
Status
IndyZX said:

I just mean that "I am interested in Infectious Disease and want to study therapeutic agents that inhibit the rate of evolution of HIV's env gene" is better than "I appreciate the value of research and look forward to further developing my lifelong learning and critical thinking skills through the pursuit of a scholarly concentration." I wrote something more along the lines of the latter of these because I am not exactly sure which type of research I want to pursue. Unfortunately, I am not sure it benefited me :laugh:. Oh well.

IndyZX

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2003
Status
GuyLaroche said:
I've a friend who asked me to ask you if moosehead means anything to you.
"I've" is not an appropriate contraction of "I have" when it is being used in a possessive sense.

Your reply to my post was meaningless jibberish.

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
IndyZX said:
"I've" is not an appropriate contraction of "I have" when it is being used in a possessive sense.

You are absolutely wrong. "I've" is simply a contraction of the phrase "I have." Get it right! Btw, if you're going to correct anyone's grammar, you'd better have a leg to stand on. I think you're commenting on something you know nothing about.

I am unsure about why the post is meaningless. Please explain.

God bless.

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
Status
IndyZX said:

hey congrats on the acceptance indy; glad one finally came through for you.

getunconcsious

Very tired PGY1
10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2004
Cloud 8
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
IndyZX said:

At least you got into UTSW! Damn state residency requirements! :(

jankanator

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2001
Palo Alto, CA
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
I just got an interview invite today (early morning) . . . submitted secondary Dec 15th I believe. First available date online was Feb 22 and they had about 5 days left after that.

winstonm

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
WTF, they're still interviewing!? Congrats jankanator, hope it works out well. I wish they'd just send me something to let me know either way, I completed around the time you did.

jankanator

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2001
Palo Alto, CA
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Correction . . . my secondary was submitted 12/01, not 12/15.

winstonm

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 2, 2003
Visit site
Status
The last of my references arrived in late November, but I'm not expecting anything now.

Tra La La

Motorcycle Dude
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Caleefornia
Status
jankanator said:
I just got an interview invite today (early morning) . . . submitted secondary Dec 15th I believe. First available date online was Feb 22 and they had about 5 days left after that.
Congrats on Stanford...

It seems as if they are "running out" of interview dates, so I have given up all hope.

Complete almost 6 months now :( and not a word.

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
Tra La La said:
Congrats on Stanford...

It seems as if they are "running out" of interview dates, so I have given up all hope.

Complete almost 6 months now :( and not a word.
Even though I have lost all interest in Stanford, I cannot imagine that they're running out of dates. You can't go by the guy who says there were 5 days left. I imagine when they send you an invite, they give you the 5 closest options. This cannot mean those are all the days left. As I recall, when Northwestern sent invites out, they also gave multiple date options. I had five or so dates available for me to pick from and this was back in November and I believe the last date listed was in December. We know that Northwestern is still sending out invites and its the middle of February! So, in summary, Stanford cannot even be close to being done. Although I couldn't care less at this point.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't care about Stanford anymore, either. And I agree with GuyLaroche, I doubt that they are running out of interview dates. For my USC interview, the only available date was December 7, but that doesn't mean that it was the last day that USC interviewed.

Tra La La

Motorcycle Dude
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Caleefornia
Status
GuyLaroche said:
Even though I have lost all interest in Stanford, I cannot imagine that they're running out of dates. You can't go by the guy who says there were 5 days left. I imagine when they send you an invite, they give you the 5 closest options. This cannot mean those are all the days left. As I recall, when Northwestern sent invites out, they also gave multiple date options. I had five or so dates available for me to pick from and this was back in November and I believe the last date listed was in December. We know that Northwestern is still sending out invites and its the middle of February! So, in summary, Stanford cannot even be close to being done. Although I couldn't care less at this point.
Thanks for the kind input...I'm still crossing my fingers, but like you, I really don't care either.

OP
E

Electrophys

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
Status
Still waiting for news...ANY news...come on Stanford, throw me a bone!!

so_nice

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2005
Nyc
Status
Electrophys said:
Okay, so I just talked with someone on the ADCOM and he said that they will be reviewing my application anytime between today and about a month from now.

So, perhaps, we still have at least another 3 weeks for possible interview invites...

best, :luck:

Christina

SamDC

10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
Status
so_nice said:
Okay, so I just talked with someone on the ADCOM and he said that they will be reviewing my application anytime between today and about a month from now.

So, perhaps, we still have at least another 3 weeks for possible interview invites...

Christina

They're still reviewing applications!?!?!? I thought they were just interviewing now. That sucks.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone!

Sam

OP
E

Electrophys

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
Status
so_nice said:

Christina
haha, wow...anytime between now and a month from now...thats certainly specific isn't it? :rolleyes:

Well...at least its good to know that they're still interviewing.

Good luck to anyone still waiting to hear (including myself)!! :thumbup:

VeggieGal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Status
does that mean that there are still applications that they have yet to review? i heard somewhere that they had gotten through all of the aps, rejected the people they didn't want right away and invited others they wanted. and the people in between, they put in a separate pile as maybe.

SamDC

10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
Status
VeggieGal said:
does that mean that there are still applications that they have yet to review? i heard somewhere that they had gotten through all of the aps, rejected the people they didn't want right away and invited others they wanted. and the people in between, they put in a separate pile as maybe.
That was my impression too.

If it's not, then I guess there's still a chance of getting cut. :scared: Oh well!

opinionkitten

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
SamDC said:
That was my impression too.

If it's not, then I guess there's still a chance of getting cut. :scared: Oh well!
i emailed stanford recently as my secondary has been complete for months and monthts and months and no word yet. they said no final decision had been made, they will be interviewing into april, and to be patient.

looks like we survived a big round of rejections and they are still interviewing, so who knows...

DrET

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2004
Status
I also emailed them and heard the same thing about being patient and that they interview into April.

VeggieGal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Status
they interview until april, but when do they stop inviting people to interview? their website says at the end of february, so it looks like we have about 2 more weeks.

so_nice

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2005
Nyc
Status
VeggieGal said:
they interview until april, but when do they stop inviting people to interview? their website says at the end of february, so it looks like we have about 2 more weeks.

I would anticipate (based on the conversation I had with the director) that they will finish reviewing applications/inviting over the next four weeks.

Good Luck :luck:

Tra La La

Motorcycle Dude
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Caleefornia
Status
Complete 7 months, not a word to date.

This is ridiculous. I mean, 7 months should be more than enough time (in my opinion) either to reject me or offer an interview.

But as each day passes, it seems that all this waiting will culminate in a thin envelope. :laugh:

lagringa87xc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
Status
Tra La La said:
Complete 7 months, not a word to date.

This is ridiculous. I mean, 7 months should be more than enough time (in my opinion) either to reject me or offer an interview.

But as each day passes, it seems that all this waiting will culminate in a thin envelope. :laugh:
nah Stanford interviews until April! And they aren't big on giving you much advance notice! Don't give up :)

Tra La La

Motorcycle Dude
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Caleefornia
Status
lagringa87xc said:
nah Stanford interviews until April! And they aren't big on giving you much advance notice! Don't give up :)
Thanks for the info, lagringa87xc.

I figured that they were going to be giving out invitations for one-two more weeks, but considering how long I have been complete, I am forsaken for hope. :rolleyes:

lagringa87xc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
Status
Tra La La said:
Thanks for the info, lagringa87xc.

I figured that they were going to be giving out invitations for one-two more weeks, but considering how long I have been complete, I am forsaken for hope. :rolleyes:
I was complete early Sept., didn't hear a word (except a Nov. MSTP rejection) until last week. It seems pretty random to me...

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
Status
alot of people have been trying to figure out the last day of stanford interview invites; my take on this is that, assuming the march15 rule of schools being able to see your acceptances is true, then all invites ought to be out by the 15th. It seems to me like it would be bad taste for a school to wait for those lists before deciding on more interviews b.c it would likely piss off the adcoms from other schools (i.e stanford trying to steal candidates from other top schools etc..; this doesnt just apply to stanford but to all other schools yet to invite too). Just an assumption; best of luck to those waiting!