Any recommendations on length of personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

Blade28

I know it varies depending on residency type and "theme," but I'm still having problems keeping my PS under 1 1/2 pages.

Members don't see this ad.

Blade28 said:
I know it varies depending on residency type and "theme," but I'm still having problems keeping my PS under 1 1/2 pages.

Rule of thumb - generally no more than 1 page. Have some others read it and see if there's duplicate or extraneous information which you could leave out.

Hmmm...that's what I've heard, too. One page, single-spaced, with 10-pt Courier New font, 1" margins?

ONE PAGE. Seriously. Nobody wants to read more than that. Make it short and sweet with a memorable intro and exit. Trust me, it gets old reading them.

Did I say ONE PAGE? Good. If it's longer, some people a) won't read it, or b) will automatically count that against you! That's just the way it is. Conform. I'm sure you have good stuff in there, but cut it down to size. If it's that good, it will be even better when you put the highlights onto one page.

Furthermore, try to print it out in ERAS style (as the programs will see it) and make sure that is on ONE PAGE.

Good luck!

Kilgorian said:
Furthermore, try to print it out in ERAS style (as the programs will see it) and make sure that is on ONE PAGE.

The specs as I posted above, or just .doc --> .txt, copy and paste into ERAS, and print out as a test?

I don't know. Maybe that info is on ERAS, or you could ask someone at your school?? I remember I did it though.

Kilgorian said:
ONE PAGE. Seriously. Nobody wants to read more than that. Make it short and sweet with a memorable intro and exit. Trust me, it gets old reading them.

Did I say ONE PAGE? Good.

I'm dead. :eek:

Starting out with MC Hammer lyrics made so much sense a week ago. :cool:

Come on, 1 page and change is fine, right? I got a crescendo-thing going that starts on page one and culminates on page 2.

Blade28 said:
Ah, got it, thanks. :)

Couldn't resist. I want to start a pro-search campaign with all the duplicate questions in these forums lately.

I would recommend ONE PAGE. See above. Very important. More than one page is not recommended nor are the MC Hammer lyrics. You will turn some people off as soon as they see it is over ONE PAGE.

we were told no more than 600 to 650 words

If I were reading everyone's PS I would totally laugh if I saw MC Hammer lyrics. I would be more curious to see if you were a cool guy to work with or just a goofy slacker. But it would still make me pay attention to your PS and make it memorable to me. :D

That being said, I'm not an attending or anything important so probably better not to add those. My boring personal statement has conformist written all over it--and it is exactly one page long. :(

hi

i wanted to print my ps from eras to check that it's 1 pg but when i do so the ends of sentences are chopped off...how do u print the essay so that it all fits?

thanks

Hmm, my essay was 1.5 pages and the PD at my home program said it was great, and not to cut out anything.

Generally, one page is recommended. But I doubt you would be penalized for making it 1.5 pages.

I think everyone needs to chill with the whole "if its over 1 page you're screwed" advice. I applied last year and after several revisions could not shorten my PS less than 1 1/4 pages. I went on more interviews than I probably should have and a majority of them commented that they were very impressed with my PS. So if your PS is top notch and not just a bunch of fluff, 1.25-1.5 pages shouldn't really hurt you. Quality beats out quantity any day.

Also, you have to keep in mind that different individuals weigh PS's differently. Some interviewers won't read your personal statement at all, regardless of length, and others will read it. If your PS in interesting enough, the interviewers who actuallly read PS's will read that extra 1/4 page. If your PS sucks, they may quit reading after only 1/2 a page.

I think if you are going to go over a page really make sure that you've cut out all the fluff and extra stuff.

My ps was about 1.5 pages long. I'm apply in anes tho, so they might be a little more laid back about such things. My home program PD said the length was fine. I've already started getting interviews at some competitive places. But dont do this if its gonna be a boring read. Don't be the judge of it yourself. Ask your mentors (in your field).

EDIT: oh. . .lol. . .I already responded to this post like a month ago!

chicamedica said:
Hmm, my essay was 1.5 pages and the PD at my home program said it was great, and not to cut out anything.

Ditto. If it's 1.5 pages and people who have read it say it's good and not rambling, then leave it. Quality is more important than 10 extra lines, IMO.