Any Recommendations On Stethoscopes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lily05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I need to purchase a stethoscope but I can't make up my mind about which one to purchase. I was thinking about buying Littmann - Classic II S.E. Stethoscope.

What do you think?? I am not looking for something fancy just a good quality stethoscope that will last me longer and be very efficient .

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Would work fine. Get the longest one possible. Other then that, any of the "nicer" stethoscopes are fine for med school. And for the love of god don't get an electronic one unless you need it (hearing loss, etc).

I just got a new Welch Allyn DLX which is a 28" model. Personally, I like it better than my previous scope, a Littmann Cardiology II. (YMMV) I have three other friends in school who have all made the change from Littmann to Welch Allyns (either Elite or DLX) this year and they are all very pleased.

Members don't see this ad :)
Use the search function of the forums!

I would abandon the Classic II. Go with the Cardiology III. I would also recommend Medisave.net, they offer free engraving straight onto the metal piece (rather than the tubing).

Apparantly now you can have it done in the bell? Mine is located where the Littman logo is:

steth_smilies.jpg

i was recommended master cardio or cardio III by upperclassmen

Thank you all for the recommendations..

Question, which stethoscope fits best in pockets? I'd like one that isn't sticking out.

This same thread JUST came up: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=281717

I would recommend one of the Welch-Allyn stethoscopes. I have the Harvey Elite. I tried a few before buying, and I'm one of the few in my class with one, but I love it. Beats the Littman Master Cardio III. They are similar in price too, and even if you close it in your car door and drive to school, Welch-Allyn will replace it for the life of the stethoscope for free.

I'd get the electronic steth from thinklabs. That way, you can record all the lung sounds, and save them for post-training if you don't do IM.

I would vote against the electronic stethoscopes. I've never seen anyone with one, so you would stand out like a sore thumb. Get a good one (I recommend the Welch-Allyns) and that's all you will need. What's between the stethoscope ear buds matters more than the scope itself. Every heart/lung sound you could want is online somewhere.

I would vote against the electronic stethoscopes. I've never seen anyone with one, so you would stand out like a sore thumb. Get a good one (I recommend the Welch-Allyns) and that's all you will need. What's between the stethoscope ear buds matters more than the scope itself. Every heart/lung sound you could want is online somewhere.

...and we have the most exhausted line on SDN concerning stethoscopes

...and we have the most exhausted line on SDN concerning stethoscopes
Ha! I had no idea. Bummer I'm perpetuating it...even though it's true. I've heard it on the wards. I'm late to the stethoscope discussion party. I received mine as a gift before starting med school and never really shopped around.

If you are getting a Littman, skip the Classic II and get the Cardiology III. It may not be the best scope on the market but it is light years better than the Classic II (I've got both) and it's the best one I've used for any length o time. When you are on your clinical rotations you will really appreciate the extra weight of the head of the Cardio II vs. the Classic II when you are attempting to hear those Grade I/VI murmurs.

I've found in asking cardiologists what stethoscope they use it is often still the first good one they got...Worked with a pediatric cardiologist whose had the same one since 1988.

Get anything BUT the Classic II. I only use mine for keeping in the car when I forget my Cardio III.

Every heart/lung sound you could want is online somewhere.
I thought so, but I have several lung sound collections, and believe me, your own collection of sounds gathered from patients with verified infiltrates, pleural effusions, etc is GOLD.

True that you stand out. True that recording sounds could be used against you. But if you can pull it off, you will not regret it, the day you are on your own, and every physical sign you master can bring you 1 step closer to diagnosis.

I thought so, but I have several lung sound collections, and believe me, your own collection of sounds gathered from patients with verified infiltrates, pleural effusions, etc is GOLD.

True that you stand out. True that recording sounds could be used against you. But if you can pull it off, you will not regret it, the day you are on your own, and every physical sign you master can bring you 1 step closer to diagnosis.
That's a fair argument. I still don't think the benefits outweigh the cost and stigma of being "that guy," and I didn't hear more than a handful of record-worthy heart or lung sounds on my 8 weeks of medicine.