any reviews for UT memphis GI for faculty position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scope guy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been contacted by a recruiting firm regarding academic GI position in UT Memphis for multiple open positions. The job ad description gives these details
• Assistant and Associate Professorship Available
• Employed position with great compensation, incentives and benefits
• ERCP Interest available – not required
• 1:5 call rotation with gastroenterology fellows taking first call
• Visa Sponsorship available

Anyone know about the academic GI division at this place? If confidential, PM me directly, thanks. Worried that they had to go to a recruiting firm to hire for academic division instead of hiring directly

Members don't see this ad.

I see zero reason to take a job, particularly an academic job, through a recruiter. They are getting huge money that could otherwise be negotiated to go to you. Also somewhat of a red flag to me that they require a recruiter to fill the job.

I otherwise don't know anything about UT Memphis. Define "great"? Can PM me. The devil is in the details with these jobs, and often have a high salary for a year or two which then switches to an RVU model.

Reactions: 1 user
I have been contacted by a recruiting firm regarding academic GI position in UT Memphis for multiple open positions. The job ad description gives these details
• Assistant and Associate Professorship Available
• Employed position with great compensation, incentives and benefits
• ERCP Interest available – not required
• 1:5 call rotation with gastroenterology fellows taking first call
• Visa Sponsorship available

Anyone know about the academic GI division at this place? If confidential, PM me directly, thanks. Worried that they had to go to a recruiting firm to hire for academic division instead of hiring directly
A lot of academic places hire recruiters because of the difficulty academic institutions have staffing their divisions. Ones that don't use recruiters still have great need as well. Dave Rubin at a lecture 2 years ago point blank cold called the audience members to approach him post talk for general GI jobs at U of Chicago. Probably because these are usually broke state hospitals that don't break even but survive thanks to state subsidy that pay faculty to supervise workhorse fellows to do all the grit work involved in taking care of all the patients the private sector will not. Does not mean it is not rewarding for the right person meant for it, but it certainly is an admirable and special calling, you will do great wherever you end up, good luck

A lot of academic places hire recruiters because of the difficulty academic institutions have staffing their divisions. Ones that don't use recruiters still have great need as well. Dave Rubin at a lecture 2 years ago point blank cold called the audience members to approach him post talk for general GI jobs at U of Chicago. Probably because these are usually broke state hospitals that don't break even but survive thanks to state subsidy that pay faculty to supervise workhorse fellows to do all the grit work involved in taking care of all the patients the private sector will not. Does not mean it is not rewarding for the right person meant for it, but it certainly is an admirable and special calling, you will do great wherever you end up, good luck
thanks for the detailed insight. The only academic jobs that I have seen recruiter, all tend to be lesser recognized ones. Yes the workload is heavy and despite the presence of fellows, the job is very taxing it sounds like.