any rhodes scholars? best med schools in UK/world??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leagueivy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rhodes Scholar -will be spending the next year in Oxford in the UK.

visited the UK few years ago, loved the place. debating about med school there, but plan on moving back eventually for residency.

anyone have list of top med schools in the world? or how UK med schools rank against US med schools? I know 3 of the top 5 undergrad colleges are in the UK (noted Harvard and Yale are the non-UK based to make list), not sure how their UK med schools are... Not sure if going to UK med school will necessary hurt my residency application. Or if I should just stick to US med school.

I feel my pre-med adviser is rather reluctant to give me a clear picture. I've had a very successful research experience, and my pre-med adviser "advises" me to apply to the med school affiliated with my undergrad and even hinted financial benefit (i.e. scholarships) as collateral/reward for the research papers. But, I've planned the UK route for a while now... just not sure if this would necessary hurt, help or make a no difference for residency shots.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Be gone fool...

Last edited:
rhodes scholar here also. i recommend not doing med school in the UK nor in the U.S. The top medical college - hands down - is found in Grenada. It offers a beautiful view and spectacular surf break.

Bird's eye view of the school:

mainimage3.jpg

Walking into the area:
welcome.jpg

A view from the streets:
Yale_School_of_Law.jpg

The place at night:
4424254871_782db4b2e2.jpg

1_UCI_Masthead.jpg

Student dorms:
sgu.jpg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Slowpoke - Go to SGU. Even students from the UK love SGU: [youtube]nDXiHHei2pw[/youtube]

SGU is the Harvard of the Caribbean (or Oxford of the Caribbean....whatever).

rhodes scholar here also. i recommend not doing med school in the UK nor in the U.S. The top medical college - hands down - is found in Grenada. It offers a beautiful view and spectacular surf break.

:O

Dang. Why can't every med school be on a tropical island?

visited the UK few years ago, loved the place. debating about med school there, but plan on moving back eventually for residency.

So....you dont love it that much.

Go to school where you plan to practice.

So....you dont love it that much.

Go to school where you plan to practice.

it's kind of like knowing you bagged a girl (US med schools), but taking a break from her (the US) and deploying bachelor mood (do what I want), before settling down with her again (come back to the US). make sense?

Anyways, you have to choose. Oxford medical school is extremely difficult to get into (harder than Harvard).

facts on this? i know undergrad Oxford is harder to get into than Harvard. When I got Rhodes, I had a few people tell me they applied to Oxford and Cambridge but didn't get into those. Harvard is more US known. Oxford is world wide.

OP, are you a troll? (link to previous, trollish thread).

If not, don't go to medical school in the UK if you want to match into a US residency program. Your Rhodes status may negate a lot of the IMG disadvantages; however, I highly doubt it would eliminate them completely. Go do your 1 - 3 years over in Oxford and come home; likely, you will get in anywhere you want.

Knocked Up: Wait, are you (claiming to be) a Rhodes Scholar?!

it's kind of like knowing you bagged a girl (US med schools), but taking a break from her (the US) and deploying bachelor mood (do what I want), before settling down with her again (come back to the US). make sense?

Yeah...settling down as an IMG

Bear in mind to take the Uworld rankings with a certain grain of salt. 90% of their grade scores is calculated by how much research papers are published in each school so even if a given med school published 1000 fluff pieces in a low tier medical journal in a given year, the fact that they published anything at all increases world school ranking.

You also need to take into account that Uworld rankings clump universities as a whole adding the perfromance of their best and worst degrees.

A few years ago UNAM CU was listed as the best spanish speaking university in the world because it publishes a lot of research in all of the hard sciences, but their med school is only ranked #14 in the country according to the 2010 list (the 2011 list isn't online yet) with only about a 32% residency match exam rate, slightly lower than the national matching average.

The focus of a particular med school is also sadly overlooked on that list. Ask any random doctor in Mexico which country produces insanely awesome doctors and most of them will say Cuba hands down. While I had to take oral exams reciting the Robbins book of Pathology twice and only had another 3 oral exams in my entire med school experience, ccuban med school forces their students to do oral exams on average 3 times a week and will even do exams on math heavy courses. Ouch.

Foreign doctors can take two month residency rotations in Cuba if the Cuban embassy and their PD gives the green light to do so, don't know if AMG's can take advantage. I'd surely do it. :thumbup:

I think giving a world ranking of med schools would be a nice thing, but with the current stat design I'm too weary of the current ranking system.

I don't know what to believe anymore in the case of Cuban schools. At one point I heard exactly what you just mentioned. But more recently, I have heard the direct opposite.
http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/he...et-sickly-results-in-brazilian-medical-exams/

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay people, it's detective time :) I have friends who are interviewing for the 2012 Rhodes and did a little texting. The interviews are happening this weekend so as of today, there are no recipients of the 2012 Rhodes. Oh, and you can't defer a Rhodes either. Myth Busted.

:troll:

Did it have to do with the MCAT?

No, unfortunately the Rhodes Scholarship and the MCAT are completely different, but of the greatest failures in my life. Hopefully, this application cycle will not end up being my third.

I actually debated applying to med schools in the UK... the best are I believe imperial london, cambridge, oxford, and southhampton. However, as a foreigner you can only get into certain ones (oxford yes, cambridge no). Also, you have to take the BMAT and some other test for them :)

Everyone says that you can't come back as an IMG but Oxford is ranked as one of the best med schools in the world... also, there is a surgery resident where I volunteer that went to school in Ireland.

Okay people, it's detective time :) I have friends who are interviewing for the 2012 Rhodes and did a little texting. The interviews are happening this weekend so as of today, there are no recipients of the 2012 Rhodes. Oh, and you can't defer a Rhodes either. Myth Busted.

:troll:

That's what I though too...hmmm... I was about to call the troll out on it way early, but read my first post, there is a chance he/she is in a separate region. If I remember correctly different regions interview on different dates. Or I may be getting that mixed up with another scholarship....man its all just such a blurr now.

That's what I though too...hmmm... I was about to call the troll out on it way early, but read my first post, there is a chance he/she is in a separate region. If I remember correctly different regions interview on different dates. Or I may be getting that mixed up with another scholarship....man its all just such a blurr now.

I am in Canada right now and know people interviewing for Canadian and US Rhodes. Even though there are different districts within both countries, interviews for each country will be held on the same day. The US is this weekend, Canadian in a few weeks. OP is saying "back" to the US, so I'm assuming s/he is applying for US Rhodes.

This is the list of people who has of now have been awarded a 2012 Rhodes: http://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/section/rhodes-scholar-class-of-2012

No Americans yet :p

I am in Canada right now and know people interviewing for Canadian and US Rhodes. Even though there are different districts within both countries, interviews for each country will be held on the same day. The US is this weekend, Canadian in a few weeks. OP is saying "back" to the US, so I'm assuming s/he is applying for US Rhodes.

This is the list of people who has of now have been awarded a 2012 Rhodes: http://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/section/rhodes-scholar-class-of-2012

No Americans yet :p

Yeah, that's what I originally thought. I just edited my post for the troll. What are districts, I'm almost certain we call them regions here in the US.

Yeah, that's what I originally thought. I just edited my post for the troll. What are districts, I'm almost certain we call them regions here in the US.

You're right, they are called regions. I'm not actually all that familiar with the Rhodes- I just know a few people interviewing for it, ran quick fact checks past them, and tried to regurgitate what they told me to the good people of SDN

EDIT: oh or district/regions whatever :p

that's a lie. you can defer. someone from my undergrad got that, but pussied out of the mcat (got cold feet). decided to go another year of undergrad to study for mcat (had 3 majors). one of those "35 on my practice mcats... fk this i am so not ready yet" kind of kids.

http://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/section/rhodes-scholar-class-of-2012
this hasn't been updated. i know someone who has won it for this year and isn't on there. i dont know if we can link personal info on here or not. but if some mod approves i'll link you to the .edu his school sites says congratulations to blah blah. blah blah is our whatever rhode's schlor.

the interview starts in Australia and works it way west, the US is the last place they interview. google Yale quaterback (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...vard-article-1.978945?localLinksEnabled=false)

his interview is tomorrow (11/19) and he is skipping it for a football game.

that's a lie. you can defer. someone from my undergrad got that, but pussied out of the mcat (got cold feet). decided to go another year of undergrad to study for mcat (had 3 majors). one of those "35 on my practice mcats... fk this i am so not ready yet" kind of kids.

http://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/section/rhodes-scholar-class-of-2012
this hasn't been updated. i know someone who has won it for this year and isn't on there. i dont know if we can link personal info on here or not. but if some mod approves i'll link you to the .edu his school sites says congratulations to blah blah. blah blah is our whatever rhode's schlor.

the interview starts in Australia and works it way west, the US is the last place they interview. google Yale quaterback (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...vard-article-1.978945?localLinksEnabled=false)

his interview is tomorrow (11/19) and he is skipping it for a football game.

Uhh, okay, sorry for lying if that's what you want to call it. I know a guy interviewing for the US Rhodes this weekend, i.e. tomorrow, which lines up with what you said. My roommate, who is interviewing for the canadian maritime region is going for his next week. He was the one who told me you can't defer. I thought he told me they all happened on the same day for each country, clarification: he said assumed. I don't know when the ontarians will going and I'm not going to bother them again for the purpose of this thread, but they only got the interviews last week so they haven't gone yet. But alas, I said not to feed the troll, which is exactly what I'm doing right now so defend him/her if you will.

Last edited:

Haha I like the MedEd picture

I know I'm reactivating an old thread here but I'd just like to clarify a misconception: foreign students can get accepted into Cambridge's medical school. (A friend of mine ended up there from our U.S. high school; I declined Oxford's A100 offer.)

There's also a nifty NIH Oxford-Cambridge MD-PhD program that Rhodes Scholars are eligible for (and actually recruited for). You do part of your PhD work at Oxford, and part of it back in the States.